unlock only on startup

princepapa

Jul 23, 2011
i use my tablet sporadically throughout the day, and it gets really old unlocking it all the time, but i'd like to be able to protect my information in the event that it is stolen. when i don't have my tablet with me, it is off. do you guys know of any apps that will allow me to require an unlock at startup, and then not again until it is restarted?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
If you are trying to protect it against theft, you might want to look into Lookout Mobile security.

If you are really trying to keep your housemates out of your tablet, then read on...

You might not need any app for this.

Try these Two steps. Test the first one before proceeding to the second:
1) Go to settings, Location & Security, and set Configure Lock Screen to OFF (never lock the screen).
2) Then go to Locations / Security Encrypt Tablet, and enter an encryption key, which you have to enter each time you power it on.
3) Don't forget that key or you are toast.

Not only does it do what you want, but it also encrypts all the data on the tablet, and you only have to enter the key once each time you power on.

Be sure to read this too:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/acer-iconia-tab-a500-forum/14021-bug-encrypting-tablet.html

Last edited:

Batchman

May 14, 2011
Please let us know if the time setting bug still exists. I might do this myself if that problem has been fixed.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

princepapa

Jul 23, 2011
considering it's irreversible, i don't think i'm going to try it until i'm sure the clock problem has been fixed either.