unresponsive screen in TF300

Mar 27, 2012
I finally got my TF300 and excited. This is my first real tablet. But I got frustrated in no time. I started the setup. The screen became unresponsive when it asked me whether I'd like to restore my settings. I pressed the power key. I could see the popup dialog asking me whether I want to shut it down. But I could not interact with it since the screen was unresponsive. Reset and cold boot did not solve the problem. I frustrated and went to sleep. The screen became responsive next morning.

But from time to time, the screen became unresponsive. After a while, for example, 10 minutes, it worked again. Firmware update seemed relieving the problem but did not solve it. I decide to return it and get a new one. Hopefully I will not get disappionted at this time. Otherwise, ....

-jason

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
That sucks. I hope it was just a defective tablet. I know a bunch of other satisfied TF300 users that have not had this issue.

Either that, or you have a defective finger!

:D

tazz3

Feb 23, 2012
its a defective tablet. i got the 300 last week from amazon and it works awesome. take it back and get a new one

McBAMF

May 11, 2012
Just opened my TF300...same problem. It asks me to set up the tablet but I can't interact with the display at all. Every once in a while it will respond, but nothing consistent. I figured it needed the full 8 hour charge, but I'm suspecting they put out a bad batch of these tablets.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Just opened my TF300...same problem. It asks me to set up the tablet but I can't interact with the display at all. Every once in a while it will respond, but nothing consistent. I figured it needed the full 8 hour charge, but I'm suspecting they put out a bad batch of these tablets.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a dud. Send it back for a new one.

McBAMF

May 11, 2012
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a dud. Send it back for a new one.

Yeah, I contacted ASUS twice. Their resolutions included a cold boot and a data wipe. Neither made a difference. I hit up amazon and am returning the unit today. Should have a new one on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

nezbokaj

May 30, 2012
I recieved my second tf300 today, and they both had this issue. Its such a shame since i really like everything else about the tablet.

Edit: It seems like some of the times it is only unresponsive in the android menubar and not the open apps/homepage. Quite odd.

Last edited:
J

jimbo7630

A temporary solution for the unresponsive screen is to plug in and use a mouse to navigate the screen. It's not ideal and not a permanent solution but it will at least let you use the tabet before returning it.

Edit:> I presume you've tried the Screen Calibration thingy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Check the Settings - ASUS Settings. There is one in there to kill the touchscreen on the status bar in there. Make sure this is not ticked.

dwlva

Aug 16, 2012
This is not an isolated problem. I have same thing happening. Got TF300 32 GB and keyboard from Amazon in June. Like it a great deal. Some time in July had unresponsive screen with tablet in hand. Plugged into keyboard and was able to operate. Waited a while, overnight maybe, tablet in hand was operable again. No repeat for a while. Lately it recurrs more often. Cold boot does not restore operation. Have tried removing various apps with no improvement. Close to boiling point with this, wanted keyboard for occasional use- not for routine ops and rescuing a malfunctioning screen, for that I could have bought something else. Web scouring is not revealing any useful info. I have not gone to ASUS yet. Seek advice here.