Unsure about rooting...

halihs

May 5, 2011
I'm sure other people have asked this before, but I couldn't find any threads really so I'm posting this myself.

I just purchased the Coby Kyros mid7015 today. I have actually had one before for about 2 weeks but I broke it, so I bought a new one. I have been doing some research on it, and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to root it. BUT I'm not so sure that I want to. Here's why: I used to have an iPod Touch that I "jailbroke". Everything went fine for a few months and then I did something stupid and it "crashed". I downloaded this app which hid the app icons from the home screen. I decided to hide all of the apps. Doing this caused the iPod to stay in safe mode and eventually it wouldn't even turn on. I guess what I am trying to tell you is I that I am scared something like this will happen to my new tablet. How "safe" is it to root? Is it possible to "unroot"? I would also like to know if rooting screws up the warranty. I really appreciate any replies!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Hello and welcome!

1. Rooting is just a simple install which gives you administrator/superuser rights.

2. Rooting is easily reversed through the Z4Root app. There is an unroot option.

3. Rooting does not mean installing Clockwork Mod or Market. That is totally separate.

4. If you just install Z4Root and root, then unroot and uninstall Z4Root nobody is the wiser. Should not be a warranty issue. Start installing modified ROMs is another issue.

halihs

May 5, 2011
Oh ok. Well then I have more questions to ask. What does installing Clockwork Mod do? Do you have to install that to be able to install Market? Would adding Clockwork Mod and/or Market mess with the warranty? Also, why would you want to root? Just to be able to add Clockwork Mod and Market? Sorry I have so many questions. I just want to understand what all these things mean. And thanks for the welcome!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Oh ok. Well then I have more questions to ask. What does installing Clockwork Mod do? Do you have to install that to be able to install Market? Would adding Clockwork Mod and/or Market mess with the warranty? Also, why would you want to root? Just to be able to add Clockwork Mod and Market? Sorry I have so many questions. I just want to understand what all these things mean. And thanks for the welcome!

Yes, yes and yes. You have to root to be able to install things like Clockwork (which is just a better recovery system as it doesn't care about signed files). Its a step by step process.

1. You have to root to get superuser permission.

2. You have to be rooted to flash the Clockwork recovery system.

3. You have to have Clockwork recovery installed to apply the Market zip file.

I hope this makes sense.

halihs

May 5, 2011
It does make sense. So is all of that permanent then? And does it void warranty?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
There are ways to get back to stock. I can't speak to warranty issues as I don't work for Coby. Thing is, most folks who jump into doing rooting and installing modded ROMs don't worry too much about the warranty.
If your main concern is the warranty, stay with the stock stuff.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
halihs,

In your first post, you state that you came to the conclusion that you had to root it. That really depends on what you want to do with it. There are many posters on here who have not rooted their tabs. I actually like the performance boost and flexibility that I gained when I rooted and put Tipsters HC 2.1 ROM on mine. It runs much better than stock and I have many more choices for software downloads. As Popeye said, you can always root it and unroot it later if you have issues. I would recommend saving the first ClockworkMod backup that you make (it places the backups on the SD Card), so that if you do decide to place a custom ROM on your tab, you can easily put it back to stock.

halihs

May 5, 2011
There are ways to get back to stock. I can't speak to warranty issues as I don't work for Coby. Thing is, most folks who jump into doing rooting and installing modded ROMs don't worry too much about the warranty.
If your main concern is the warranty, stay with the stock stuff.

I'm worried about the warranty because stuff happens sometimes and I like to be able to return things if they suck. I have already returned one of these tablets because it was having graphics issues.

halihs

May 5, 2011
halihs,

In your first post, you state that you came to the conclusion that you had to root it. That really depends on what you want to do with it. There are many posters on here who have not rooted their tabs. I actually like the performance boost and flexibility that I gained when I rooted and put Tipsters HC 2.1 ROM on mine. It runs much better than stock and I have many more choices for software downloads. As Popeye said, you can always root it and unroot it later if you have issues. I would recommend saving the first ClockworkMod backup that you make (it places the backups on the SD Card), so that if you do decide to place a custom ROM on your tab, you can easily put it back to stock.

I guess I was a little confused as to what rooting really is. I have read a lot of posts where people say rooting is the way to go. I guess the only reason I would want to root is to be able to install the app markets. But is it really worth it just for that?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I guess I was a little confused as to what rooting really is. I have read a lot of posts where people say rooting is the way to go. I guess the only reason I would want to root is to be able to install the app markets. But is it really worth it just for that?

Seriously, you keep asking the same question basically. How old are you? Maybe I'll get banned for asking this but come on!
Bye everyone!

Baqs

May 24, 2011
I was asking different people their opinions. Sorry for bugging you.

The answer to your question depends on the applications that you want to use on your device. If the applications are available on places other than the AM then there is no point in rooting the device.

There are many great applications that are available in places other than the AM, for example, Sourceforge or SlideMe. If those applications cover your needs then you do not need to root your Kyros.

Personally I have not found the need to root my Kyros so far, but I am not against rooting it if the need arises.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Patient, not everyone up to speed yet on rooting. Relax stay calm.. Go outside and yell! Then come back and type. Now Z4Root is the best way to go for Rooting. Install it and run it that's it. System reboots an then your rooted. Next you can install the Market Patch. Then run the tablet like that. Now after awhile you might want to install Clockword Recovery Mod to replace the stock OEM Recovery ROM. So you can install ROM MOD to change things around also re-program the tablet to boost it's performance. That's where I come into play!

Apr 28, 2011
Just like tipstir said. Another thing u want to do is go and install the graphics fix. It allows u to play angry birds and other games without white bars on the screen. This was one of the main reasons I rooted my tablet. I have enjoyed it since and am happy I did!

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
I rooted mine to mainly apply the graphics fix. It fixes the odd graphic anomalies in games like Angry Birds. This is something the manufacturer should have done, and they may eventually, but I could not wait! Afterwards, I installed the Market on it, and it works well, but not 100%. There are apps that it will not locate, and if you go to the Android market online to install apps with your PC, it is not recognized. I have not put another rom on it, and I am not going to mess with it any more as I have it working the way I want. I also installed ADWLauncher on it, and it made the interface a lot smoother! The actual root process is easy, and so is installing the Market and graphics fix, just follow the instructions to the letter! I would recommend just altering enough for your needs, then leave it alone and just enjoy it!