Update check on recent tablets

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Several posts have referenced two new Sylvania models numbers which both have been updated to a "newer" version not on the current update server.

These two new models may have a different update server coded in the OS.

If either or both of these new tablet owners could post the results of the following command it would be appreciated.

Code:
getprop persist.sys.server

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Sure explain to me what you want me to do and I will try to do it
Sorry, for the previous short explanation. Initially overcome with excitement that there may be new updates available.

Using either Android Terminal Emulator or adb "Android Bridge" commands query the OS for the properties stored for the variable "persist.sys.server".

Android Terminal Emulator method -

Install jackpal / Android-Terminal-Emulator by either downloading directly to device Term.apk or to your computer then then copy to a microSD card, copy to microSD card, install card in tablet and side load by using "My Pad" or another "file explorer" application to navigate to the file then click on to install.

Once installed, run Android-Terminal-Emulator and at the "shell prompt" $ type the following command then enter using the Soft Keypad and post the results.

Code:
$getprop persist.sys.server

adb method using an application such as adbWireless

Similar to above search and find the adbWireless.apk, download to your computer, copy to microSD card, install card in tablet, using "My Pad" or another file explorer navigate to the /sdcard install the application. Run adbWireless and connect your tablet via wifi to your computer following the instructions. Once setup, run abd on your computer and connect to your tablet. Finally, run this command from your computer and post the results. More development resources and information on adb it's commands are described here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...resources-synet7lp-sytabex7-disgo-6000-a.html

Code:
C:\>adb shell getprop persist.sys.server

Thanks for the effort!

UPDATE: Wild goose chase! While the update server is not hard coded in the Settings.apk it remains the same but is saved as a "system property". http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-tablet-model-sytabbl7-0608-a.html#post142999

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So do you still want me to do it?
You can try and see if you get same result as the other user. If it is the same, it seems updating after purchasing may install an "old" version of firmware but that could be confirmed by the date noted in the build.prop.

Could you post the contents of the /system/build.prop? You can copy it to the microSD card and then move the card to your computer and view the file with any editor and paste to contents here. Thanks

Last edited:

Markatisu

Oct 21, 2011
You can try and see if you get same result as the other user. If it is the same, it seems updating after purchasing may install an "old" version of firmware but that could be confirmed by the date noted in the build.prop.

Could you post the contents of the /system/build.prop? You can copy it to the microSD card and then move the card to your computer and view the file with any editor and paste to contents here. Thanks

Yeah I am used to looking at the build.prop

ro.sf.lcd_density=120
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=FRF85B
ro.build.display.id=FRF85B
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.xecle.20110908.152923
ro.build.version.sdk=8
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.2
ro.build.date=2011年 09月 08日 星期四 15:31:16 HKT
ro.build.date.utc=1315467076
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=xecle
ro.build.host=xecle-desktop
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=SYTABEX7-2
ro.product.brand=generic
ro.product.name=P7901
ro.product.device=P7901UC
ro.product.board=
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=imap210
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=P7901UC
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=P7901-user 2.2 FRF85B eng.xecle.20110908.152923 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=generic/P7901/P7901UC/:2.2/FRF85B/eng.xecle.20110908.152923:user/test-keys
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.versioncode=2
ro.debuggable=0
persist.service.adb.enable=0
ro.screenrotation.direction=0
persist.screenorientation=0
persist.app2sd.enabled=0
persist.keyguard.pattern.spec=1
persist.shutdown.pattern=0
persist.policy.autoOTG=0
persist.sys.language=en
persist.sys.country=US
ro.suspend.unloadWifiDriver=true
persist.launcher.def.desktop=1
persist.launcher.def.animate=2
persist.default.wallpapers=0
persist.default.keycharmap=qwerty
ro.sensor.switch.enable=0
persist.phone.enabled=0
ro.board.isTablet=true
ro.board.isRScreen=true
persist.sys.gps.enable=0
persist.sys.server=222.73.93.45
ro.opengles.version=131972
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

So I guess its from either August or September 2011? With that said I have had no problems with wireless that some people seem to be complaining about

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So I guess its from either August or September 2011? With that said I have had no problems with wireless that some people seem to be complaining about
Congratulations, you have the most complete build.prop and it seems the latest update. Don't mess with a thing if it's working. Now the question is where is this "official" update for the rest of us!

Notice -
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.xecle.20110908.15 2923
ro.versioncode=2

Markatisu

Oct 21, 2011
Congratulations, you have the most complete build.prop and it seems the latest update. Don't mess with a thing if it's working. Now the question is where is this "official" update for the rest of us!

Notice -
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.xecle.20110908.15 2923
ro.versioncode=2

Good to know! It's too bad there is no way to rip out the update and allow it to be flashed.

If I could get Netflix to run on the damn thing properly I would be ecstatic. That is about the only thing that still plagues me. I understand the hurdles with Flash due to the processor but Netflix "should" work

If you need anymore info let me know, I don't mind trying to help out

aslanslion

Dec 15, 2010
If I could get Netflix to run on the damn thing properly I would be ecstatic. That is about the only thing that still plagues me. I understand the hurdles with Flash due to the processor but Netflix "should" work
t

Appreciate you guys looking into stuff like this for the rest of us who have no clue how to do it. Netflix is the main thing for me too. Not getting it to work right (LP7) is first-world frustrating. I don't understand enough to know if it will ever work on here.