Update to 1.3 with manual nooter-don't see Non-market Apps/Unknown sources!?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mine hasn't auto-updated. If I recall correctly, it was having CMR installed that prevented the auto-update when 1.2 came around, not being rooted.

Yes, it is the intsallation of CWR on the internal memory that will prevent OTA updates. Shouldn't be a problem if you have back ups and get hit but as GaWd just found out, OTAs never happen at a convenient time.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
CWR was installed, so it's kind of odd.

I flashed it back to stock, applied the 1.2.0 signed image, manual nootered her, and I just fired it back up.

This time, I will have to make sure that the OTA is blocked and that I have a good backup.

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
So this wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. My initial nooter didnt properly aply root. Thankfully, all it took was a re-nooter ro get it working.

Cwr was installed already, but perhaps one of my taskmanagers had killed it off. I installed cwr premium 4.4.0.26, and i'll remember to keep it running since the ota is quite aggressive.
Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So this wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. My initial nooter didnt properly aply root. Thankfully, all it took was a re-nooter ro get it working.

Cwr was installed already, but perhaps one of my taskmanagers had killed it off. I installed cwr premium 4.4.0.26, and i'll remember to keep it running since the ota is quite aggressive.
Sent from my NOOKcolor using Tapatalk

This is interesting and I did a quick search after your last post. It is possible that B&N modified the update to get past CWR but I didn't see any other reports of the 1.3 OTA making it onto a device with CWR installed. Not sure what happened in your case. CWR shouldn't be something that is running and can be killed. It should be an installation which modifies certain files and thus blocks the updates. Maybe this is a case of terminaology.

ClockWork Mod ROM Manager (CWM) is an app that allows access to various ClockWork Mod functionality. Can be used for updates

ClockWork Mod Recovery (CWR) can be installed through CWM or by flashing from a SD card to the internal memory. CWR can only be accessed via a boot to recovery, either through CWM or by holding the n button while booting.

CWM will not block OTA updates but CWR will (or at least has in the past).

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
I have been wrestling with this problem again. My Nook either ran out of juice and hosed itself overnight 2 weeks ago, or it received the OTA and boot-looped, because when I recharged it, it was indeed stuck in a boot loop. As we all know, once you are looping, it's pretty much impossible to recover.

So I reverted to 1.2.0. And I applied nooter 4.5.18, 1.3, and 4.6.16a in all sorts of combinations-all to no avail. I have gotten flashing screens that were impossible to resolve, wi-fi that doesn't connect, android markets that don't download or install, non-market apps options impossible to apply (like previously experienced), and other issues. It appears that it really isn't possible to root 1.3 yet, even though my instructions come from here: How to reroot after the B&N 1.3 update - xda-developerso I resolved to just go back to 1.2+Root, and now I am of course having difficulties there, too. lol I used 1.2 signed for my base, and MN 4.6.16(non-a), which is what I used in August when I had this issue.up

So the reason for my rant/diatribe, is this:

I loved where I was with my Nook on 1.2.0 + Root. It was perfect. I had Titanium backups, but with all the issues I was/am having, they're impossible to apply. So, when using CWM/CWR, is there a way to make a very low-level backup that can be applied should this occur again? I want to be able to flash a backup to the device and recover everything. I notice in CWR, you can create a files called update.zip, and it is designed to easily apply an update.zip file on boot.

Is this what I want to do?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
GaWd yes, this is exctly what you should be doing. CWR either on internal memory or SD can make a backup which is basically a complete ROM image of the exact state of your Nook at the time of back up. Titanium Backup simply backs up your app data but not the whole kit and kaboodle. Once you have a CWR backup (nandroid backup) you simply keep that zip file someplace safe.

If anything ever goes wrong put the zip file on an sd card. Boot into recovery, wipe system, data and clear cache parition and dalvik cache. This should take out anything causing problems. Then simply restore from backup flashing your restore zip just as you would any other zip file to get back to the exact state you were at the time of backup. It is a good idea to take one of these backups anytime you first start with a new update (so as soon as you root or flash a custom ROM or what have you) and just befoer you make any big changes. That way you have a fresh clean sate to go back to (the backup as soon as you have applied a change) and also a fully loaded just how you had it backup before you tried to change anything.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I keep a late, stable nightly and the full stock 1.3 ROM .zip on my original rooting SD card for just those times when something goes wrong or I have to ask for warranty service or help someone else. SD cards are cheap! :)

GaWd

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks guys.

I never expected this to be so unstable, so I didn't ever look into true backup solutions.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I can't say much about B&N 1.3 since I haven't tried it. No need with CM7. If you want stable and a better android tablet experience, go CM7 unless there is some reason you have to have B&N rooted. CM7 really is enough better that you won't go back to a rooted ROM.

JP