Update Your Nook Color Today

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
NOOK Color - Software - BARNES & NOBLE - Barnes*&*Noble

[h=2]NOOK Color Firmware v1.3 Update Now Available![/h] by JeremyCesarec Tuesday
Categories: software update

Starting today, NOOK Color owners have access to firmware version 1.3, a software update that enhances the best-in-class NOOK Newsstand by offering even more interactive versions of the country’s favorite magazines and newspapers.

Not only does this update offer access to new bestselling titles including People, Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune, Parents and Fitness magazines, the new capabilities allow for Special Interactive NOOK Editions with enhanced content—like videos, audio podcasts, animations, photo galleries, and more—for select titles. Plus, print subscribers to People, Time, Sports Illustrated and Fortune can enjoy the NOOK Magazine[SUP]™[/SUP] versions on their NOOK Color at no additional cost.

Also included in the update are performance improvements and new features.

NOOK Color customers can enjoy these new features through a free software update available at www.nookcolor.com/update or provided over the air (OTA) to customers connected to Wi-Fi beginning this week.

For more details about this update, please read the full press release here.

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Anybody going to try this?

I'm glad you posted here JP, this thread might be the best place to discuss this. That way all the 1.3 OTA information will be in one place. I defer to you on this, please correct the following if necessary:

1.) I assume anyone booting a non-rooted, stock ROM NOOK is going to try it whether they want to or not.
2.) That would include anyone turning on a new NOOK and after a while they'll come from the factory with 1.3.
3.) Anyone running something like CM7 off an SD card will get it if they boot their NOOK w/o the SD card installed.

jonesygirl

Feb 9, 2011
I want access to those new magazines, but not enough to go back to a completely "stock" nook.

My nook is still running the lame Autonooter 3.0. I keep putting off messing with cm7 in hopes that a new Autonooter will be released. (Still waiting..)

Sent from my HTC Aria using Android Tablet Forum

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
After waiting 3 days for the download, (stock on internal) I finally went and manually down loaded it. That's all I did, didn't even stay and play. Powered down, popped my CM7 SD card in and back to CM7. Will play when I have more time.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Past eperience has shown that the OTA updates for unrooted Nokks are spotty and inconsistent. Then when they do come they seem to happen to people at the most inconvenient times. So manual update is the better way to go if you are interested.

I think for anybody rooted or running a custom ROM this is of about as much interest as for CLSmith... ok, I'm updated but now back to [insert what you are running here].

To jonseygirl: Don't let the "manual nooter" of 1.2 put you off, it really is the same as an autonooter so you are not likely to see any offical "autonooter" come out for it. Especially now since B&N is at 1.3. I suspect it will only be a couple of weeks until it gets nootered so you might just want to wait. Though I have noticed that since the custom ROMs have been more prevalent that the nooters seem to take a little longer to come out because not as much energy is focused on rooted develpoment compared to custom ROM development.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I am totally happy with CM7, no way I am going back !

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
I am totally happy with CM7, no way I am going back !

With Clockwork, CM-7 and Dalingren's Nook tweaks, I can do more, faster and with more freedom to change than Nook 1.3 could ever do.

A huge thanks to our developers, moderators, and forum members.

Lime

Jun 11, 2011
So I have a Nook rooted with manual-nooter 1.2. It auto-updated. SO, now my calendar is GONE! And I was just figuring it out and hadn't figured out how to use google calendar to sync it to my computer or something yet. Is it just deleted or still findable? It has my schedule in it! Grrr. Also, on the home page the 2nd and 3rd application at the bottom of the screen are also missing--it still has the applications, web and music--talking about the ones that are part of a toolbar--installed automatically when I rooted. Any help would be appreciated.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Your root is broken so some of the features went with it, like your home launcher (back to default) and some buttons. Apps should stay intact but not sure about their data. If you had installed Titanium Backup and made a backup, then the app data will still be protected in the backup file on the sd card.

At this point your only real option is to reroot using nooter for B&N 1.3.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I love updates and I like to get them automatically but in order to do that I have to boot from stock but I can't take my cm7 sd card out, I have to much fun with cm7.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I read the article about Taptu joining B&N to bring its app to the nook color so I switch on stock to get the app and the update to1.3 came in as well. Nothing really changed with the update but the app is amazingly great. Too bad I can user it only on stock.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum