update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
Have you noticed any fixes in the Open GL graphics problems? For example with angry birds missing graphics/text. There are other games with this issue but angry birds is the most well known.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Still broken, unfortunately. I think that's actually a problem with the telechips chipset, not the kyros itself.

Marbieskarb

Feb 2, 2011
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. So, does that mean all telechips based devices are affected? I will be returning mine based on this unless you think there will ever be a fix.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The graphics 'issue' probably wont be fixed. It has been like this for more than half a year on all TCC8902 devices. It is more of a limitation than a bug.

Keeping an eye on this. Kernel, build.prop, or any other changes...

benash

Dec 16, 2010
Ok, so, another "newbie" here- I have just ordered my Kyros from Amazon and am excited to get it - have read the threads about rooting- I am assuming the problems you are having are due to the fact that you have installed this update on a tablet that had already been rooted? Should I run the update and then root, as described, or not worry with the upgrade and root? Thanks!

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If you just ordered it the odds are good it will ship with this build. The way to tell is to go into settings and check the model number. This update changes it to mid7015a.

If it's anything else, update and then root.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Since we have confirmed root on it, getting it back to the way other models are will not be an issue.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Here's the stock build.prop from the new update:
Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=ECLAIR
ro.build.display.id=MID7015A 1.6a 01/26/11
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.emdoor.20110126.192325
ro.build.version.sdk=7
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.1-update1
ro.build.date=Wed Jan 26 19:24:04 CST 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1296041044
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=emdoor
ro.build.host=emdooryf760
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=MID7015A
ro.product.brand=telechips
ro.product.name=MID7015A
ro.product.device=tcc8900
ro.product.board=tcc8900_evm
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v6
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=telechips
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tcc92xx
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=tcc8900
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=MID7015-user 2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng.emdoor.20110126.192325 test-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=telechips/MID7015/tcc8900/tcc8900_evm:2.1-update1/ECLAIR/eng.emdoor.20110126.192325:user/test-keys
persist.sys.timezone=America/New_York
# end build properties
#
# system.prop for TCC89xx
#

# The OpenGL ES API level that is natively supported by this device.
# This is a 16.16 fixed point number
ro.opengles.version = 131072

# This is a high density device with more memory, so larger vm heaps for it.
dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

# density in DPI of the LCD of this board. This is used to scale the UI
# appropriately. If this property is not defined, the default value is 160 dpi.
ro.sf.lcd_density =240 

# SSG, to enable WMA, WMV and ASF file recognizing routine
ro.media.dec.aud.wma.enabled = 1
ro.media.dec.vid.wmv.enabled = 1

# SSG, to enable RA, RM and RMVB file recognizing routine
ro.media.dec.aud.ra.enabled = 1
ro.media.dec.vid.rv.enabled = 1

# SSG, if changing audio play rate is supported, set this property to 1
ro.media.aud.rate.changeable = 0

rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.notification_sound=onTheHunt.ogg
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
ro.media.dec.vid.max_width=1920
ro.media.dec.vid.max_height=1088
net.bt.name=Android
ro.config.sync=yes
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

benash

Dec 16, 2010
That's what I gathered from reading elsewhere! Thanks!!

If you just ordered it the odds are good it will ship with this build. The way to tell is to go into settings and check the model number. This update changes it to mid7015a.

If it's anything else, update and then root.

darkanx

Feb 12, 2011
I poked through the zip and these are the basic changes

---APKs Updated
Appslib_XXX.apk
Calibrate.apk
Email.apk
Launcher.apk
MediaProvider.apk
Music.apk
Settings.apk

---APKs Removed
Term.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk

---Framework files Altered
android.policy.jar
framework.jar

---Other Alterations (I am guessing to remove unneeded files)
Many bin files removed
Entire xbin folder removed
Some .so files removed from lib folder

Looks like they really didn't do much to the system files, other than get rid of unneeded bits. Rather than do a full update, you can probably reap the benefits of this minor update by just extracting the apks and installing them separately.

rdawes

Jan 7, 2011
<<I poked through the zip and these are the basic changes>>

Can we just overwrite the changed apk's?

Is it safe to remove the deleted apk's like telephonyprovider without uninstalling them?

I've bricked and restored my 7015 so many times that I'm not in a hurry to do it again now that I've got it working nicely.

Thanks
Bob

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
Hi. I'm a newbie and totally clueless! I just ordered the Kyros 7015 from Amazon last night and am awaiting it. Very excited, however, I'm not sure what to do now. I was all set to root it via the Phase3d video I found on YouTube but after reading about this latest update, I'm not sure if I would be able to root it...??? I'm assuming my unit will come with the new update version 7015a. If so, would I then be able to follow the previous instructions on rooting it to allow Amazon Market or is it much more difficult to do so, in which case, I'm sorry I bought it! Thanks for your help!

nrm88

Feb 11, 2011
Just got my coby kyros 7015 tablet yesterday, tried rooting it via Phase3d's video, no luck, and i think it has to do with this update. My tablet came updated (7015A). (Basicly everything up to entering text into the terminal works fine, The root Z4 root installs and re-boots), but when i type the 1st set (into the terminal) and enter: mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak It says: system/etc/install-recovery.sh file or directory not found
The file is there, when i go to there and look. ?

Ive been working on this for 7 hours now, i think im going to go crazy..
If anyone has an alternate way, besides for this video and besides for the tutorials here that all have directions for Windows (xp,vista,7), (I use Linux, Ubuntu 10.10 and Peppermint < (Ubuntu 10.04 derivative)) (i dont even have access to a computer with a Windows OS on it), so if you could point me in the right direction, i would be Extremely gratefull. :D

p.s. I'm a complete noob, with android tablets and even with Linux systems, i just got into them a month or so ago, so im still learning how to use them. I probably sound like a complete dunce, but im confused and frazzled.

Last edited:

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
That's what I was concerned about. I am awaiting mine now and I"m sure it already has the update on it. I'm concerned about not being able to root it with the new update on it after reading all the posts about it. :(