update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
Code:
adb push path/to/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your efforts with me. I have been trying all evening to make this work. I've studied ADB threads till I'm blue!

I can connect my tablet to my PC (Win 7), I run CMD and get to the directory with the extracted flash_image file. I added the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory to my Path. I issue the adb push flash_image /system/bin/flash_image command but get Permission denied.

I type adb shell, get the $, type su and the tablet asks for su permission and I allow and get the #.

I really am lost after that. I tried Exit twice back to the command line and do push again but still Permission denied. Debugging is on and tablet rooted.

It appears I still do not have privileges needed or internal memory is read only.

Your suggestions appreciated.

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
How did you do this?

Well first I copied the flash_image file from the old update.zip (posted earlier in the thread) to my sd card in the tablet. While rooted into my tablet via adb, I typed in: cp <location path of my flash_image> <destination which is...> /system/bin/flash_image
Then I typed: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

Tazzin805

Feb 12, 2011
Thank you so much for your efforts with me. I have been trying all evening to make this work. I've studied ADB threads till I'm blue!

I can connect my tablet to my PC (Win 7), I run CMD and get to the directory with the extracted flash_image file. I added the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory to my Path. I issue the adb push flash_image /system/bin/flash_image command but get Permission denied.

I type adb shell, get the $, type su and the tablet asks for su permission and I allow and get the #.

I really am lost after that. I tried Exit twice back to the command line and do push again but still Permission denied. Debugging is on and tablet rooted.

It appears I still do not have privileges needed or internal memory is read only.

Your suggestions appreciated.

@CoastalTom:
I was having the same problem, but I figured it out ... putting your post and cashdude1971's post together along with the great information by l_n!

From the command prompt on your windows pc:
adb shell
su
**Note be sure accept the SuperUser Permissions on your device**
cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image (whereas the flash_image is stored on your sdcard)
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery

Being a non-linux user or any sort of programmer, but I can follow directions well when I know what im doing and they are spelled out... this is by far the most painful process to date!

fyi the cp command is the copy command from within the shell/terminal.

Last edited:

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
Hi ya'll. I ordered a Kyros 7015 from Amazon a couple of days ago and am awaiting it. I was so excited about it but I have read all these posts about rooting the 7015A (that already has the latest update) and it's just way beyond my expertise to even attempt it. I don't even understand the terms being used. I saw a YouTube video where the guy didn't root it but he downloaded Opera and then Dolphin and through that was able to download and install several of the apps he couldn't otherwise install without rooting it and he said it was fine for his purposes now. Can anyone tell me if I am going to enjoy this thing without having the Android Marketplace or whatever it is? Thanks.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Hi ya'll. I ordered a Kyros 7015 from Amazon a couple of days ago and am awaiting it. I was so excited about it but I have read all these posts about rooting the 7015A (that already has the latest update) and it's just way beyond my expertise to even attempt it. I don't even understand the terms being used. I saw a YouTube video where the guy didn't root it but he downloaded Opera and then Dolphin and through that was able to download and install several of the apps he couldn't otherwise install without rooting it and he said it was fine for his purposes now. Can anyone tell me if I am going to enjoy this thing without having the Android Marketplace or whatever it is? Thanks.

This thread is about people who have problems after the update...

Now only you can answer that ? If you have read around and searched for info on the coby, then you should already know what is can and can't do out the box. You can download Apps thru different methods,Read books and browse the web thru WiFi .... So if this is what you wanted out of the tablet then yes you will enjoy it.

mwbbmw

Feb 3, 2011
I'm curious to see if you think the update was worth all the effort. The applib fan be updated manually - like it matters, because that's what the rooting was for. I usually try to keep current with all updates but this one hardly seems worth it - given it's less than easy re-rooting and unknown benefit. Recommendations?

Sent from my MID7015

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
I'm curious to see if you think the update was worth all the effort. The applib fan be updated manually - like it matters, because that's what the rooting was for. I usually try to keep current with all updates but this one hardly seems worth it - given it's less than easy re-rooting and unknown benefit. Recommendations?
Sent from my MID7015

Yea I agree... I still haven't upgraded yea... I'm not to savy with this stuff yet and I from what i read theres nothing about this update thats good for the tablet lol...

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
Hey Tazzin, that info is very helpful. I thought I was almost there but the cd command tells me there is no system directory on my tablet (internal memory) to copy the flash file to. Through USB, I look at the tablet memory and do not find a system directory or even an update.zip file. I do find the update.zip on the sdcard and within is the system directory.

I'm 61 yrs old and this is hurting my head! :)

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
To access /system you have to be using a terminal emulator, root file explorer, or adb. There is info on all of these methods in various threads in the forums here.

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
This thread is about people who have problems after the update...

Now only you can answer that ? If you have read around and searched for info on the coby, then you should already know what is can and can't do out the box. You can download Apps thru different methods,Read books and browse the web thru WiFi .... So if this is what you wanted out of the tablet then yes you will enjoy it.

Yes, I did read, for hours, about the Coby Kyros before I purchased it and decided I wanted it AND the Android Market so that I could get all the apps I wanted to use. I'm an Apple user and know nothing about Android but it seemed like something I could do after reading these and watching the videos. Afterwards I saw that people were having problems getting to the point, after the upgrade (which I'm assuming mine already has), where they could put Android Market on it. I'm still confused as to whether or not that is possible. Is it?

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
Finally success!!!!!!

Thanks to l_n and Tazzin and cashdude! You folks made me learn adb commands and emulator commands and how to manipulate clockworkmod. It was often frustrating but proves that with persistence and the help of friends, most things are possible. I'm sure my wife will love the tablet (if I don't keep it for myself) :)

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
So maybe I missed it but is it even worth updating to the latest build? Reading the thread it doesn't seem like any major improvements were made other than a more buffed up security.

For those of you who have updated and that also spent some time with the older firmware version what do you notice, if anything?

Sent from my MID7015

Tazzin805

Feb 12, 2011
@CoastalTom
Hey Tazzin, that info is very helpful. I thought I was almost there but the cd command tells me there is no system directory on my tablet (internal memory) to copy the flash file to. Through USB, I look at the tablet memory and do not find a system directory or even an update.zip file. I do find the update.zip on the sdcard and within is the system directory.

I'm 61 yrs old and this is hurting my head! :)

the command you need to use is cp not cd.
basically when you run adb shell you are running a terminal session on the Kyros through your windows command prompt.
I myself found it all a little confusing coming from a background of windows commands.