update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

Tazzin805

Feb 12, 2011
@Fieldmouse
Yes, I did read, for hours, about the Coby Kyros before I purchased it and decided I wanted it AND the Android Market so that I could get all the apps I wanted to use. I'm an Apple user and know nothing about Android but it seemed like something I could do after reading these and watching the videos. Afterwards I saw that people were having problems getting to the point, after the upgrade (which I'm assuming mine already has), where they could put Android Market on it. I'm still confused as to whether or not that is possible. Is it?

Yes it should be possible, don't have a Mac, but can't be much different, and since you don't have yours yet ... now is the time to start getting everything that you need.

Read the sticky post -

• Coby Kyros MID7015 Utimate Guide - Rooting, Android Market, ClockworkMod Recovery
Not the discussion thread. It's the last sticky of the top of the forums.
Get all the files and download them to your computer.

The main sticking points for me were:

• Getting my Win Vista 32-bit to recognize and install the usb driver for the Kyros. This requires you to get the SDK (Software Development Kit) for Android and install it on your computer. Be sure to get all the Third Party add-ons under the Available Packages section. (You don't need the Samsung ones)
  • Modifying the latest android_winusb.inf file located in the... now different folder called: google-usb_driver with the instructions in found in the ultimate guide sticky.
  • Next was still getting my computer to recognize the device. I had to go into device manager and Update Driver, and point windows to the ENTIRE C:/android-sdk-windows/ directory (assuming you extracted the zip file to your C:/ drive which you should do) NOT the google-usb_driver folder.
  • Since I already had 7015a version, Coby removed the flash_image file from the /system/bin directory, but thanks to the awesome moderator l_n, in this thread he has a link to download the old update file which does have the flash_image file, which is needed.

I have to say, I have NO CLUE as to why all Android based devices don't at the very least have the Android Market on them! The Android Market is so much better than AppsLib one!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Hi ya'll. I ordered a Kyros 7015 from Amazon a couple of days ago and am awaiting it. I was so excited about it but I have read all these posts about rooting the 7015A (that already has the latest update) and it's just way beyond my expertise to even attempt it. I don't even understand the terms being used. I saw a YouTube video where the guy didn't root it but he downloaded Opera and then Dolphin and through that was able to download and install several of the apps he couldn't otherwise install without rooting it and he said it was fine for his purposes now. Can anyone tell me if I am going to enjoy this thing without having the Android Marketplace or whatever it is? Thanks.

Please do NOT hijack threads. It's rude and hinders your chances of getting help. Please start your own thread and ask your question there. Thanks and welcome!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Yes, I did read, for hours, about the Coby Kyros before I purchased it and decided I wanted it AND the Android Market so that I could get all the apps I wanted to use. I'm an Apple user and know nothing about Android but it seemed like something I could do after reading these and watching the videos. Afterwards I saw that people were having problems getting to the point, after the upgrade (which I'm assuming mine already has), where they could put Android Market on it. I'm still confused as to whether or not that is possible. Is it?

Again, please stop trying to hijack this thread and start your own. Thank you.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I have to say, I have NO CLUE as to why all Android based devices don't at the very least have the Android Market on them! The Android Market is so much better than AppsLib one!

Google doesn't allow it. For now they refuse to allow the market to be preinstalled on anything but phones. I assume when 3.0 comes out they will be more tablet friendly.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Some tablets have market and some don't. But google android is opensource. But when it comes to market it's a different story.

bigbill

Jan 10, 2011
After reading the thread, I never saw a response to the questions about any improvement other than better security against the user... Were there any fixes a user might want noticed in this new build?

CoastalTom

Feb 12, 2011
Thanks Tazzin. That was a typo in my response back to you. I did use cp and finally made it all work. Loading apps from app market now. Yeaaaaaaa!

@CoastalTom

the command you need to use is cp not cd.
basically when you run adb shell you are running a terminal session on the Kyros through your windows command prompt.
I myself found it all a little confusing coming from a background of windows commands.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Here are some things I've noticed after having the update installed for a while:

1. I now have the wifi dropping issue.

2. I've also noticed the failure to wake after charging.

3. Startup seems slower.

4. This was mentioned before, but it seems worth repeating: all dev/admin utils have been removed. In the boot ramdisk's default.prop ro.secure is now set to 1, limiting root access via adb.

5. None of the most problematic issues were addressed.

In conclusion, this update seems absolutely useless.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Can you go back to the -3 build, the older update.zip?
After I installed -3 on my -2 Kyros, any Factory Reset always only reset to the -3 build.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If you're not using the mid7015a build, then none if this really applies.

If you want to revert to the very first build, you'll have to get a stock nandroid backup and restore it. I posted one from mine that was actually more bug-free than this supposed update.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
In conclusion, this update seems absolutely useless.

I think I expected that :D

That nandroid needs to be a sticky, or even repacked into update.zip format as the first flashable MID7015 ROM.

rl3mailcom

Feb 14, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the help with undoing the latest update from Coby. I only have one question... Do you happen to know where I might get a copy of the 'old' update.zip?

Fieldmouse

Feb 12, 2011
Again, please stop trying to hijack this thread and start your own. Thank you.

I'm sorry! I don't even know what you are talking about when you say "hijack thread!" I've NEVER been on a forum like this before and I don't even know what I'm doing! I just saw a discussion on what I'm interested in doing and tried to ask a question. If you can tell me what I'm supposed to be doing, I will do that.