update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

roberts1966sm

Feb 15, 2011
ok which ones because i type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and it still says it can't find it. Should i do adb push path/to/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image instead or just reboot recovery? It is still saying it can't find it. What am i doing wrong. I did go to the ultimate guide. Maybe i missed a string... sorry ... i am so green lol

I am so green sorry. Do i do adb push path/to/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image ? I went to the ultimate guide and tried flash_image recovery /sdcard.recovery.img and it is saying it still can not find it. .. Do i just do a reboot recovery from here with out typing any thing else.... sorry ... still lost lol

Last edited by a moderator:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Well, there's now a surprise over in the Telechips Development sub-forum for us. Go have a look here.

This may render this flash_image crap irrelevant if it can just be renamed to update.zip without messing up the signature (i've never tried renaming an update.zip-style image.)

roberts1966sm

Feb 15, 2011
sorry i posted twice i did not mean too lol

Mod edit: Fixed double post for you. - l_n

Last edited by a moderator:

mpazevedo

Feb 15, 2011
Hi Ya’ll,
I picked up the COBY Kyros 7015 yesterday wanting to get the full &#8220;Android Market&#8221; experience. After the rest of the night following the Youtube video by Phase3d and the Ultimate Guide I had the tablet rooted. But that&#8217;s when all the file missing problems started. Tablet came preinstalled with the MID7015A build so no web update was needed but like l_n has stated many times, the /system/bin &#8220;file_image&#8221; is missing. Thanks to cashdude1971, Tazzin805, CoastalTom, and of course l_n, 2 possible ways to get that sucker in there. The adb/PC &#8220;messy&#8221; way or the Teminal/tablet way. I have Windows 7 64 bit btw. I went with the latter since I already had a copy of the file_image, Term.apl, z4root.apk, recovery.img, & gaps-passion files already on my sdcard. I typed su <return> cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image <return> flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img <return> reboot recovery <return> got it rebooted with ClockworkMod Recovery then followed the rest of the Ultimate Guide. Hope that helps for the rest of us noobs. BTW great tablet for the money, going to by one for my wife and daughter for her reading. She loves to read. Hope everything is working out with that Android update for the COBY, I_n. J

rl3mailcom

Feb 14, 2011
after entering:

cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image <return>

I encountered an error:

cp: can't stat '/sdcard/slash_image': No such file or directory

any ideas? fixed

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
after entering:

cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image <return>

I encountered an error:

cp: can't stat '/sdcard/slash_image': No such file or directory

any ideas?

Fair chance of a typo as in flash vs slash
Second thing I can think of is that with the USB connected to the PC the Kyros does not see the sdcard. Make sure you first unmount the USB external.
cp is just the copy command.

rl3mailcom

Feb 14, 2011
@ridgeland... Thanks for the reply, but I fixed it. Not a typo, just tempermental tablet. Bounced and worked fine...

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I am so glad I caught this thread before the weekend. Picked up my Kyros yesterday and was going to start the root this weekend. I am hoping that my tablet had sat around Fry's for a few months so that it has the old version it. Going to open it up tonght and check on it.

Thanks to all who have been working on the solutions and banging their head. This really helps out us newbies.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Got mine today from Adorama. Had 1.6a_20101129-1 which I believe is the better firmware. Already rooted, clockwork and marketplace.
Thanks to all here especially l_n.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Well it looks like I have 7015a. So from what I have been reading, I can install the update before this latest one and be good to do the root in the ultimate guide?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Well it looks like I have 7015a. So from what I have been reading, I can install the update before this latest one and be good to do the root in the ultimate guide?

Read l_n post several topics down. Seems root still works with 7015a.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Read l_n post several topics down. Seems root still works with 7015a.

I have read through this whole thread and now I am so lost as to what can and can't be done, what should and shouldn't be done. There are bits and pieces of info all over the 12 pages. If I knew what most of it meant, I would try to consolidate it into one post, but 95% of it I have no idea what is being said.

I really just want to follow the ultimate guide to do the root and add the Google Apps. Do I update with one of the older update files here or do I try it with the 7015A that is already loaded on my tablet?

bama01

Feb 16, 2011
As a ray of hope I spoke to a Coby customer no service rep yesterday and he said they rooted a kyros 7015 with the 1/26/11 firmware update on it, but he couldn't tell me how to do it because it would void the warranty and we're not suppose to be rooting the tablet anyway. He said it can be done but I'd have to figure it out on my own. What a MORON!!!