update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

bama01

Feb 16, 2011
Just got off the phone with coby rep Robert and he stated that once the firmware has been update you can't revert to a previous firmware. Hopefully, coby will receive more complaints and put out a new update or some genius will find out how to make the old firmware look like a new update.

yoop

Dec 13, 2010
As a ray of hope I spoke to a Coby customer no service rep yesterday and he said they rooted a kyros 7015 with the 1/26/11 firmware update on it, but he couldn't tell me how to do it because it would void the warranty and we're not suppose to be rooting the tablet anyway. He said it can be done but I'd have to figure it out on my own. What a MORON!!!

Just got off the phone with coby rep Robert and he stated that once the firmware has been update you can't revert to a previous firmware. Hopefully, coby will receive more complaints and put out a new update or some genius will find out how to make the old firmware look like a new update.

I'm not sure what you're really looking to do here, but there are instructions in this very thread for rooting the Coby 7015 on the latest firmware. It has only been made slightly more difficult to root, so that everybody who is following the "Ultimate Guide" is missing a piece of the puzzle (look for instructions on pushing flash_image via ADB). Also, once the tablet is rooted and clockworkmod recovery is installed, you are free to use any compatible ROM that you'd like. There are at least 3-4 different ROMs out there now that you can run on this tablet (different versions of stock Eclair, Cyanogenmod Froyo, l_n's "Watery Kyros", some nandroid backups, etc)

bama01

Feb 16, 2011
Does it make a difference if you use the SDK ADB or a terminal emulator to install the flash_image? I would think if one won't work the other won't either.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Either is fine. The main thing is to remember to set the permissions once it is put in /system/bin.

chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Just went and picked me up an 8gb MicroSDHC card. Going to start the root and GAPPS load tonight. Please do not kill me if I come looking for help. Wish me luck.

masimo

Feb 14, 2011
I'm not sure what you're really looking to do here, but there are instructions in this very thread for rooting the Coby 7015 on the latest firmware. It has only been made slightly more difficult to root, so that everybody who is following the "Ultimate Guide" is missing a piece of the puzzle (look for instructions on pushing flash_image via ADB). Also, once the tablet is rooted and clockworkmod recovery is installed, you are free to use any compatible ROM that you'd like. There are at least 3-4 different ROMs out there now that you can run on this tablet (different versions of stock Eclair, Cyanogenmod Froyo, l_n's "Watery Kyros", some nandroid backups, etc)

hey yoop, thanks for the info, would you please post a link for these Roms, and did you tried any of them on coby and how to know the Rom is compatible??
Regards

yoop

Dec 13, 2010
hey yoop, thanks for the info, would you please post a link for these Roms, and did you tried any of them on coby and how to know the Rom is compatible??
Regards

I ran CyanogenMod on my Coby 7015 for several days. I ended up giving up on it and going back to stock due to the lack of video playing support on it. There's a thread over at XDA-developers that discusses it in depth: Coby Kyros 7015 - How to install CyanogenMod (Froyo based) - xda-developers. There are also sticky threads here at this forum for both the latest stock firmware from Coby (this thread) and for the Watery Kyros ROM. I believe there's also another thread here somewhere in which someone has posted a nandroid backup.

Last edited:

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Okay. Stumped for the moment. I got the flash_image into /system/bin. Now I am going to do this command:

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

And I am getting the error of

failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

Anyone know what I am missing or doing wrong?

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I got it! Went straight to the flash_image recovery command and it was self explanatory the rest of the way through!

Aang

Feb 18, 2011
L_N i dont know what else to do, this is causing me great anxiety...im desperate i dont care if others see my p# i just need help, im close to smashing this thing ive tried everything to the T on the forum, as well as others except that they probably understand the language and i dont please call me 417 569 0676 i wont take much of your time PLEASE...or anyone else that knows these procedures good and can call me

Last edited:

masimo

Feb 14, 2011
hey Aang I think this will help you ( credit to L_N who post most of this on other thread)

(1)Root the tablet with z4root.

(2)on you computer Setup the sdk. (detail instructions can be found in the ultimate guide)
sdk program http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
you will need java from the link https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...oductRef=jdk-6u22-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developerhe
if you use windows 7 you will need copy this file http://rapidshare.com/#!download|499tl|435451166|android_winusb.inf|4 to google-usb_driver folder and the following files http://www.mediafire.com/?ynqo3vsvhtuoke8 to tools folder

(3)Get a copy of the old update.zip http://www.mediafire.com/?x429lugv97t0qbu and extract it somewhere.

(4)Use adb to push flash_image from system/bin in the extracted directory to /system/bin on the kyros
1.Get a copy flash_image and paste it to android-sdk-windows\tools
2. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)
3. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. if you placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of your c drive, type in the following order and press enter
4. cd\android-sdk-windows\tools .
5.to test the device c:\‬android-sdk-windows\tools\ ‬adb devices (you should see some long numbers)
6.c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb remount
7.c:\android-sdk-windows\tools\>adb push ./flash_image /system/bin
8.adb shell then su
9.chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
10.chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

(5) Installing ClockworkMod Recovery
1. On your pc, download recovery.img http://www.sendspace.com/file/vkv6yz and place it on the root folder of your sd card
2. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)
3. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. if you placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of your c drive, type in the following order and presse enter
4. cd\android-sdk-windows\tools .
5. Type adb shell and press enter.
6. Type su and press enter.
7. Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.
8. Press and hold the CTRL button, then press C.
9. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter.

now just follow the instruction on the following video from time-track 10:30

regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
yeah Aang,
Don't panic.
Members here are very helpful. You have to first give the forum good detail of what you want to do and what you did and what you expected and what you got. Your post only says you're upset.
If you address your problems here in the forum others with the identical problem can see the solution. Those others would learn nothing from your private telephone calls.

Aang

Feb 18, 2011
Working on it, Will post results whether good or bad, thank you for calling me it made a difference on how i understand what certain words mean in simple english...(i.e SDK and ADB,..yeah that bad) Thanks again for taking the time to call me Masimo...