Updating CM7 from Rom Manager?

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Is it correct that if I buy the Premium Rom Manager that I can update CM7 builds through the app without having to go into recovery? As in, it will go download the zip for me and install it automatically?

Also, I loaded CM7 v23 by using the SD bootable CWR. I am now unable to boot into recovery. If I tell my nook to boot into recovery it just reboots to the OS. Is that normal with CM7? If so, how do I create a backup?

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
I'm guessing the option to update from within Android is just a script to reboot your phone into recovery and automatically flash the zip. Doesn't really seem worth it, especially when I'd rather be able to do what I want while within CWR.

And please tell me you're not asking how to do a backup after you've already been flashing roms.

Last edited:

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
And please tell me you're not asking how to do a backup after you've already been flashing roms.

I have done many backups in the past of B&N 1.1 rooted, Phiremod Beta2, and Custom Nookie Froyo 0.6.8. However, now that I'm on CM7 v23 I am not able to boot into recovery to make new backups. I'm guessing that it's because CM7 was installed from a CWR bootable SD and that to get to recovery now I have to use the bootable SD card again? Is that correct?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
reading through numerous threads, i see there seem to be a lot of issues people face with when installing a nightly through Rom Manager - i created a bootable SD and copy the nightly updates into that, use it to boot, then install from zip - no need to wipe data/cache - all seem to work nicely. Just installed nightly 29 this morning - no issues and it took less than 3 minutes

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
I need to get a second SD card and leave it as my CWR Bootable card then I guess. Thanks

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
oh and one more thing - i copied all my installable zip files into it - like google apps, etc so it is easier to install if needed.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I need to get a second SD card and leave it as my CWR Bootable card then I guess. Thanks

This is a good idea, especially if you are palying with many ROMs but not necessary. To me it sounds like you created a bootable SD and then only flashed your ROM from that. Now you can't figure out why you can't boot into CWR. In that case it is because yes, CWR is on the card and you would need to insert the bootable card back into the Nook to boot to CWR.

If you include the CRW zip on the boot card you can flash CWR internally just like you flash the ROM. Once you have booted into recovery just follow the flashing procedure but point it to the CWR zip. Then you can remove your boot card and boot into recovery without it.

:)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
This is what we do JP, spare SD card and works like charm :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
To clear a few things up...

The premium version of ROM Manager is supposed to look for and notify you of updates to your installed ROM. It WILL do this for CM7 as new nightlys come out. However, the script for updating this way is not perfect with the current nightly setup, so it is recommended to NOT use this method for now.

If you used a bootable SD card to install CM7, then that card has CWR v3.0.0.6 or greater (preferably v3.0.1.0) but your internal recovery is still an older CWR or none at all. You should really look at having your internal CWR updated to v3.0.1.0 (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ry-official-cwm-3-0-1-0-update-flashable.html) and then you will be able to flash the new nightly or oc or whatever easily. {Alternatively, you can continue to use the bootable SD to do all your updating, just make sure you put the latest ROM, kernel, etc. onto the card.}

jleeusa

Mar 21, 2011
I am having the same issue. I flashed cm7 from a bootable card with CWM 3.0.1.0. Additionally I flashed gapps and a kernel. It doesnt look as if gapps flashed so I was going to go through Rom Manager to recovery. I noticed that there was no recovery, I flashed (through rom manager) it still says that I am at v3.0.1.0. I have since tried to boot into recovery through rom manager and by holding the power button and choosing recovery. Neither will let me into recovery.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
I checked Rom Manager earlier this morning and no update found for 5.2
Is this only for Nigthly versions?
Anyway, I will do it through my spare flash card as soon as I reach 100% of battery charge.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
I thought you could NOT use Rom manager if you were booting from SD.

I thought you had to have everything on the device it's self.

I could be wrong.