upgrading from 1.0.1 to 1.4.3

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
I rooted my Nook Color way back when I first got it in 2011.

It is currently running B&N 1.0.1...I just bought an app that requires I upgrade to the 1.4.3 version...

Can anyone point me to the process to upgrade B& N and not lose the root I did a in 2011.
If it can be done.

I rooted soo long ago that I really forgot the process..just been humming along happy...

z71ping

Jan 24, 2011
Thank you. I assumed that I would lose root. Thanks for confirming. can you point me to a link or links that describe how to:
1) Back up my current configuration (rooted)
2)Update to the latest B&N Image.
3) restore to previous rooted state ( I don't remember what I did when I rooted...but I am able to push the "N" home button and select between ADW environment or the B&N environment. I did that b/c I liked the reader ...

thanks for your patience and help

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1) See posts 1 and 2 for an overview of ROM Manger and using Recovery. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

You can flash the newest version of recovery just like flashing anything else. From the instructions above flash this recovery and then make a nandroid backup just in case. Techerrata Downloads - Downloading update-encore-cwm.emmc-eyeballer.zip (Download the zip file to the SD card).

2) Flash leapinlar's 1.4.3 ([USER][TIPS]CM7/CM9/CM10 User Tips From LeapinLar - xda-developers) from recovery (place this zip below on the SD card).
"Ordinarily stock ROM zips downloaded from B&N cannot be flashed to emmc with CWM. You must use the stock recovery to flash them. However, the zip can be modified to make it flashable with CWM. You can get a stock version 1.4.3 zip that I have modified to be flashable with CWM 1.4.3 ZIP"

3) Root by flashing this file http://nookroot.googlecode.com/files/manualnooter-5.08.20.basic.block_updates.zip (Download to the SD card)
See Let's Get Started Steps 10, 11, 12 and 14 here [NC][1.4.1][1.4.2][1.4.3] ManualNooter 5.08.20 - xda-developers.

Honestly though I say go for a custom ROM. Rooting is just using the limited B&N software and making it slightly more usable. Get the real tablet experience by using a full Android ROM like CM7 (Gingerbread) or even better CM10 (Jelly Bean) which makes you tablet updated and like a Nexus 7 (although with slower performance because of older hardware).

JP