URGENT advice for mothers DAY needed

raufhon

Mar 31, 2011
Hi guys. I wanted to buy viewsonic gTab for mothers day...I need your advice on the screen...is the screan really smooth that the pinch to zoom, and typing and scroling really easy... cuz iPad screen is just masterpiece...how different is viewsonic and would you advice me to buy based on your experience what are good and bad sides.

Thank you please

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
those are VERY subjective questions. If you are going to compare an iPad to a G-Tablet, and if the person that you are getting this for likes Apple Products and that is what they want, honestly they will be disappointed.

that being said, I have had opportunities for iPads and iPad 2, and do not regret at all going with the G-Tablet.

richmo

Apr 1, 2011
I think I'd pretty much echo Peter's comments. The gTablet is a great device for the money, especially if you put one of the custom ROM's on it (I haven't had a chance to try the newest update from Viewsonic). I find the screen quite responsive and pinch and zoom works just fine. That said, the iPad's screen is even nicer than the gTablet and screen responsiveness is second to none. I think the iPad is a superior device, but at $200 less, the gTablet is a better buy.

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
Dito x2. I have both tablets and the Ipad2 is a really nice machine very responsive but I prefer the Gtab only cause it can be customized to your preference. So the Gtab takes on your personality. I didn't give it a second guess on buying the Ipad2 cause I know my wife and she wouldn't have liked the Gtab but I can say that she is upset about flash. ;)

raufhon

Mar 31, 2011
Dito x2. I have both tablets and the Ipad2 is a really nice machine very responsive but I prefer the Gtab only cause it can be customized to your preference. So the Gtab takes on your personality. I didn't give it a second guess on buying the Ipad2 cause I know my wife and she wouldn't have liked the Gtab but I can say that she is upset about flash. ;)
how bout the typing is it easy? or you can misstype letters and all that on gTab?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Like other have said... G-tab is great... +1
you have to keep in mind though if this a gift either you or your wife/mom is going to have to be willing to put the time/energy to get the tablet to the usable state that you want (out of the box the tablet isn't as good as some of the custom roms available, most think it's atrocious)... if you'e wanting an out of the box experience and are willing to shell out the cost for an ipad2.. my suggestion would be to get the Motorola XOOM or the Asus Transfomer(if you can find it) they are going to deliver a superior experience over Ipad with customization and over all performance... but if you'e willing to invest the time and effort to do a little hacking and modding then go for the G-tab the hardware for the cost is unbeatable.. but plan on putting at least the full weekend getting familar with the modding process and flashing a couple roms till you find one that's best for the users needs...

Last edited:

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
how bout the typing is it easy? or you can misstype letters and all that on gTab?

My Gtab is stock no mods yet but will soon ;) . The keypad is better then I expected. Not as good as the ipad but it responds really well. I haven't gotten any miss types but I'm not a fast typer. It does lag but I have gotten used to it. Hope this helps.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I would never buy the g-Tablet for an older generation user unless they are extreamly tech savvy. Android has a learning curve and there is alot to do to make anything work espically with the custom ROMs. If your willing to do all the work then so be it.

biggerguy_sf

May 9, 2011
Great info posted here already on "to buy or not to buy" versus the iPad. I just wanted to add my two cents on the keyboard. I have a T-Mobile Vibrant running Swype, so I wanted to use Swype on my tablet too. And via links from XDA I found an apk to run Swype on my G Tablet using CyanogenMod 7.0.3. It's great and works perfectly. So if keyboard is an issue, then hope this helps you.