USB Charging

cisfast

May 8, 2011
I was extremely disappointed about the length of the power cord. I then thought that maybe, just like other devices, I can charge the tablet with the USB. I found the answer right away. I then contacted Acer and asked them if that is something they plan to enable in the future as I am not sure if the hardware is configured to charge via usb. Does anyone know if that is a software fix or we just will never be able to charge the tablet via USB.

evillincoln

Apr 18, 2011
As said in a previous answer in this thread the voltage is different for tablets than for devices that can be charged with USB. It is not just a limitation of the ACER and is most likely the case for all tablets. The three 7" tablets that I have used all cannot be charged via usb.

toomuch

May 21, 2011
To charge my tablet in my car I use a voltage inverter, this also has the advantage of charging faster than a cigarette lighter version, I have the tripplite 375 Watt inverter, it's about US $75.00 but they also have lower wattage models for cheaper.

so there is no way to charge it in the car from a 12V source?

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
To charge my tablet in my car I use a voltage inverter, this also has the advantage of charging faster than a cigarette lighter version, I have the tripplite 375 Watt inverter, it's about US $75.00 but they also have lower wattage models for cheaper.

Problem with that is that you have high voltages hanging around in the car.

Not my preference.

Peter

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

cisfast

May 8, 2011
They have several chargers at ebay. Just search for Acer Iconia and you will get a bunch. Did not read more about them, but try them and see if they work for you.

unix1adm

May 20, 2011
I have one of those inverters in my truck but I have 2 cars too so I have to remember to take the bulky thing with me or buy 3 of them. I was hoping for a smaller simpler cheaper solution like my charger. i have one for each car.

v62cobra

May 1, 2011
Problem with thateod is that you have high voltages hanging around in the car.

Not my preference.

Why not? The car's PCM and all other computer modules are running off the same power source. They are equally as sensititve. Most inverters will have a voltage regulater and you should always put one inline as well. When setup properly, it is no different than your house. Your house gets wild 120v and is kicked down to 12v through the transformer, same deal........

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I have one of those inverters in my truck but I have 2 cars too so I have to remember to take the bulky thing with me or buy 3 of them. I was hoping for a smaller simpler cheaper solution like my charger. i have one for each car.

They don't have to be big or bulky (but it does suck that you have to remember to take your cord with you!)

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more <------ I have one similar to this one.