USB Charging

unix1adm

May 20, 2011

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I just purchased the Iconia A500 but also have an Archos 101 tablet.
I am able to charge the Archos through use of a cigarette lighter adapter that gives you usb power. I purchased a usb cable that goes from the usb in the adapter to the power plug in the Archos.
The adapter is 2 amps.
I was hoping to find something similar for the Acer tablet.
Here is a lighter charger that goes into your power plug, also includes a 6 ft extention cable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Adapter-Cha...=120722492223&ps=63&clkid=1722251026794139674

Last edited:

tecwizrd

Aug 10, 2010
I use one like this for my AC charging needs in the vehicles.

This one is from Amazon.com, but you can get them almost anywhere. I was an OTA truck driver for a few years, these work great for small electronics. Powers my laptop without issue.

31q9QH2q7SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
There are car chargers on eBay for a very reasonable price with free shipping. Search Acer A500 charger. I also picked up a spare wall wart there to keep at work.

chubsky

Jun 11, 2011
I just bought a charger off of ebay, the seller was supposed to be in California, but the charger shipped from China. I got the charger this morning and I get a flashing pink led in my power button and the tablet doesn't charge. So, a word from the now experienced. ebay chargers may not be the answer to the charging question.

Last edited:

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I must respond with an apology. When I posted this I was waiting for my chargers from the same eBay vendor. Well, I got them and neither one work. The car charger doesn't even show any response on the Acer at all. And the wall wart charger actually drains the battery! That's right, the tablet was off (in standby) with the charger connected and every time I turned it on to check the charge it was less. So, please do not buy these cheap chargers from eBay. My bad.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
This wall charger also does not work. When plugged into the A500 my battery actually discharged at a faster rate than if I had no charger attached at all. Charger is not returnable, company is in China. Cost to return to China through US postal is $35.49USD.

I am glad to be here,i Strongly recommend a practical charger
2M Cable Home / Wall Charger For 10" Acer Iconia Tab A500 Power adapter
Wholesale 2M Cable Home / Wall Charger For 10" Acer Iconia Tab A500 Power adapter Free Shipping-Wholesale Mall - witglobal.comView attachment 4446

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Problem with that is that you have high voltages hanging around in the car.

Not my preference.

Peter

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
I don't see it as a problem. I have a 300W inverter where I have a 4 plug powerboard where I plug in various chargers that I need.
Battery charger for my Cordless screwdriver
charger for my workphone
charger for my bluetooth phone head set

In fact I have a 4 plug adapter on the cigarette lighter slot into which I plug:
My GPS
The 300W inverter
My personal phone's car charger

and into the USB plug on that adapter I plug in all my USB devices that need charging.

The inverter should have a grounding terminal - in addition to Red and Black terminals. You are very safe because the inverter is design to shut down in the event that there is a short/earth leakage. If you got a good one that is.

dbvanhorn

Jan 13, 2012
Why not? The car's PCM and all other computer modules are running off the same power source. They are equally as sensititve.

The difference is that car electronics are designed to deal with a 9-15V nominal range with spikes up to about 400 Volts of either polarity.
I won't be plugging my pad directly into vehicle power, EVER, without a properly designed buffer circuit.
I've designed battery chargers that are literally Taser-Proof, but I'm going to bet that the one in the pad is pretty minimal, designed for a reasonably regulated SMPS wall wart as supplied.

There are safe converters that will protect your pad from the transients, and of course going through an inverter is an effective if bulky and inefficient solution.

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
The problem with at least some of the eBAY transformers is that the negative (outer) wire does not work. If you test via an ohm-meter you likely find the positive tip works but not the negative. I really just need the connector so that 'sucked'. Also check the stats on the transformer as it may be (if the wires are good) the amperage is insufficient.

One thing you can do if you're running off batteries is get a good DC-DC converter. For example, one will operate between (say) 9VDC and 14 VDC, is fused and protects your equipment. That way you'll get a constant 12VDC to the tablet even as the batteries discharge and no spikes.

EW

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The difference is that car electronics are designed to deal with a 9-15V nominal range with spikes up to about 400 Volts of either polarity.
I won't be plugging my pad directly into vehicle power, EVER, without a properly designed buffer circuit.
I've designed battery chargers that are literally Taser-Proof, but I'm going to bet that the one in the pad is pretty minimal, designed for a reasonably regulated SMPS wall wart as supplied.

There are safe converters that will protect your pad from the transients, and of course going through an inverter is an effective if bulky and inefficient solution.
The reason I prefer an nverter rather than plugging directly into the car 12v supply is because there is a way of isolating the ccts, as well as earth leakage protection. Inefficent it may be but it is safe.

sbh

Aug 29, 2011
Everyone DUMP the OE Charger and buy the following (it will make your life a lot easier)
* Dynex Universal Camera/Camcorder Power Adapter DX-UA - You can buy it at Best Buy for around $30.00 or online for as little as $7.00 (amazon, ebay) You will still need your charger cord, but not the POS plug. Pass this on to everyone. I bought 2 one for home and one for work. Nice long cord and charge is awesome!