USB Charging?

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
USB charging anyone?

Mine no worky, hoping this is not a glitch or limitation and there is a work-around.

Then again, I notice my camera wayyyy off..may face isn't centered when looking from the center. It's off to the left BIG TIME. I have to frigging hold the thing so far to the side, when grinning, I look like Jack Nicholson from The Shining! Whoah!

Anyways. would love some input.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Most USB ports don't have enough power to charge a tablet. You might try a port on the back of your PC, sometimes they provide more power than the front facing ones. Or try a powered hub.

pingram3541

Feb 2, 2011
Hmm, a 3.0 port puts out more power..up to 80% for cnfigured devices. I also think it consumes less (robbing from ps) but yet my tablet still no red flashing charge light. =(

TuleenDonai

Apr 17, 2011
For USB 3.0 power support, you need a USB 3.0 cable ALL THE WAY TO THE TABLET. A 3.0 cable has extra power pins.

Most Tablets are shipping with USB 2.0 cables.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I charge a MID8024 at work sometimes using a bench adjustable power supply. It draws about 1500ma from the supply. USB 2.0 has a 500ma limit and USB 3.0 has a 900ma limit.

From Wikipedia:
A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.

gwammy

Jun 20, 2011
I think I found the problem. I recognized it as soon as I opened the package about 20 minutes ago.

The power plug says "DC 9V". USB is @5V. My guess (as a hardware designer) is that the batteries are double stacked (series) LI-Ion @~7.4V.

My guess is that the 5V rail coming from the USB port goes nowhere on the inside of this thing as it would not be high enough to do anything of substance. They could have put a boost circuit in there to charge the batteries off of USB, but keep in mind that this is a sub-$200 tablet and they probably cut every corner they could.