USB drive 2TB?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Can a WD 2TB USB DRIVE be read in a NOTE 10.1?

My A500 can!

Have no problems with USB ThumbDrives/Sticks!!!

:confused: :confused:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Unfortunately, my WD 2TB USB DRIVE will not even recognise connect. NOTE thinks there is something but doesn't see it. Must have something to do with the 30 pin to USB ADAPTOR. I think it can only operate with FAT 32 - come on Samsung you can't be serious.

HOW ABOUT AN ADAPTOR THAT READS NFS???

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It may be that connector as every NTFS drive I have connected to my USB port has been fine. I'm using them on the USB port on my ASUS Transformer dock with 4.2.1

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
One down side of the NOTE 10.1 no USB PORTS. 30 pin adaptor plugs into the tablets 30 pin port and provides USB or SDcard reader. But the adaptor, I think, is only compatible with FAT 32 drives/sticks.

Again I say to Samsung, Surely you can't be serious.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't have this tablet, never seen it, but I doubt an adapter has the ability to pick and choose what filesystem it uses. Most likely your kernel doesn't support NTFS.

If you have adb setup

adb shell

cat /proc/filesystems

Below is my output, as you can see my kernel supports ntfs does yours?

Code:
root@android:/ # cat /proc/filesystems
nodev	sysfs
nodev	rootfs
nodev	bdev
nodev	proc
nodev	cgroup
nodev	tmpfs
nodev	debugfs
nodev	sockfs
nodev	usbfs
nodev	pipefs
nodev	anon_inodefs
nodev	rpc_pipefs
nodev	devpts
	ext3
	ext2
	ext4
nodev	ramfs
	vfat
nodev	nfs
	ntfs
nodev	fuse
	fuseblk
nodev	fusectl
nodev	oprofilefs

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I don't have this tablet, never seen it, but I doubt an adapter has the ability to pick and choose what filesystem it uses. Most likely your kernel doesn't support NTFS.

If you have adb setup

adb shell

cat /proc/filesystems

Below is my output, as you can see my kernel supports ntfs does yours?

Code:
root@android:/ # cat /proc/filesystems
nodev    sysfs
nodev    rootfs
nodev    bdev
nodev    proc
nodev    cgroup
nodev    tmpfs
nodev    debugfs
nodev    sockfs
nodev    usbfs
nodev    pipefs
nodev    anon_inodefs
nodev    rpc_pipefs
nodev    devpts
    ext3
    ext2
    ext4
nodev    ramfs
    vfat
nodev    nfs
    ntfs
nodev    fuse
    fuseblk
nodev    fusectl
nodev    oprofilefs

In the fear of appearing stupid, which adb must I load?

I just checked my mnt device listing - I can mount up to 6 USBdrive devices - listing A to F... Btw the tablet is a Samsung Galaxy NOTE 10.1 very much like the SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

I just received an email from Samsung saying that the NOTE 10.1 does not support USB - I never heard such crap in my life. It just that even they don't really know what they are pushing.

I have the USB Connection Kit P30pin which supports USB FAT32. I have plugged Thumbdrives/sticks/jump drives into my NOTE which has a specially adapted interface setup -simply touching the USB symbol (next to the clock) unmounts the USB STICK. The NOTE has USB Hosting functionality as stated in the manual, but looking at USB Connection Kit the info pamphlet say it supports FAT32 max of 32GB. So it must be this adapter and not the tablet!

the tablet is running JB 4.1.2 - which is the latest JB. And its Quad core.

Confusion reigns at Samsung.

Douvie.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The following is an email from Samsung Support:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the time and effort you have taken to provide it to us. Unfortunately the Galaxy Note 10.1 is not able to connect to external hard drives and is not designed to do so.

Please also note that the Note 10.1 also does not support the use of a USB.

Well that is a load of codswallop. I bought the USB Connection Kit and it works. It is even on the accessories list for the NOTE on their website. Have a look at the pic I uploaded.

Surely you can't be serious, Samsung.

Attachments

• $USB Connection Kit.jpg
    $USB Connection Kit.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 490