USB driver for A500 - Correct file?

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I'm getting the A500 tomorrow and I wanted to download the USB driver from Acer which would allow it to be plugged into a Win 7 PC via the USB connection. I'm downloading now but noticed that the file is 89 M Bytes. Is this correct file? Why is it so large? I would think there wouldn't be that much programming needed to see the Acer from a USB connection.

Anyway I just wanted to make sure I'm using the correct file.

Thanks,
Gerry

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
You may altrady have it. I run win 7 and didn't need to install anything.

Hi Dan,

I am running Win 7 64 bit Home Premium. I did think I saw a post somewhere that Win 7 may have a driver built in. So should I just connect the A500 without the driver and give it a try? If it doesn't work and I have to install the driver is the 89 M Byte file that I downloaded the correct file?

Thanks,
Gerry

pentool

May 1, 2011
Correct. You don't need the USB driver for Windows 7.

(And yes, the file is 89M, but you won't need it.)

Last edited:

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Yeah... can't hurt anything just to see what happens. Just make sure you have an SD card in there, since that's what you see on the PC.

ChrisAlb

May 3, 2011
Yeah... can't hurt anything just to see what happens. Just make sure you have an SD card in there, since that's what you see on the PC.

I do not believe you are able to see the SD card from the PC right now. (regardless if you are using the Win7 host driver or the driver package downloaded from Acer) On the tablet, there is a folder that is named 'sdcard'. That is not the MicroSD card that you inserted into the SD card slot. I believe it is part of the 16G of system memory. There is another directory one level up from the directory that contains a directory called 'external_sd'. This is the MicroSD card that is inserted into the slot.

From what I have read and experienced, there is no way to see the contents of the MicroSD card (via a tablet to PC connection) right now unless you remove it and plug it into a SD card reader that is plugged into a PC. With that said, your apps can see the external_sd card and it contents (I have copied music to the card via the card reader, reinstalled the card in the tablet, and then played the music from the tablet application nemoplayer.)

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Wow that is certainly good to know. Thank you much... that would have caused me major confusion if I didn't know that

TeeCee

Oct 5, 2011
I did not know this and installed the driver. I now find that the the tablet keeps dropping out and I have to keep reconnecting it. Is it possible to uninstall the driver or do I need a reformat.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I was wondering the same thing about reading the SD card through the USB cable. I keep all me Word and Excel docs on the card for my Documents-to-Go app. Then yesterday I installed 66 file folders of audio on the card. When I inserted the card > attached the USB cable > opened the drive location Acre Iconia, then I had two drives listed. The root file on the device and the SD card. But when I opened the SD location only the 66 audio folders were displayed. None of my Word files. So I tried putting in another card with only one audio file and some other mixed documents and folders. Same result, only the audio file displayed. I deleted the audio file and the drive location vanished. Yet I could access the files through the Acer's functions. Go figure. Any ideas anyone?

I would like to add to my experiment. I opened the drive through me USB cable again which only shows the audio folders as mentioned above. This time I drag-n-drop files onto the SD card. Folders and files appear when done this way. But folders that I know are there, but do not show up, when I drag another copy to that drive, I get the Windows alert that it already exist. Even though it does not show up.

So, by installing an audio file to the SD card with it on your PS's card reader, then being able to see the drive through the USB cable, then drag-n-drop your files there from that point on, you now have a visible working drive.

Any one else playing with this? Are my findings true with someone else's setup? I am using an Amazon 16gb class 10 micro SD on Acer A500 running 3.2 and Windows 7 with all the current Windows updates.

Last edited: