Usb host mode possible?

Wham

Feb 12, 2012
I apologize in advance. I imagine this has been covered.

I bought my vtab to replace a netbook, but I overlooked the necessity to backup my camera's
Sd card periodically to the tablet.

Anyone have a solution or workaround to moving pictures from my camera to the vtab's 32 gig
Micro sd?

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Depends which Honeycomb they upgrade us to in the next update. USB host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher. The Only thing you would have to look for or build, would be an adapter between the VTAB's USB connector and your camera's USB. With that all you would need is any one of a dozen file management programs available on the market.

My personal workaround is, I just use my microSD in my camera with its SD adapter and use the tablet as a viewer for clients it inspect the work.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
You could also try a wifi sd card. Let the vtab connect to it. I have a nikon that sends pictures through wifi. I'll try that and let you know that goes.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
So i'd have to connect my camera to the tablet first to make a new connection so mine won't work. You could try the wifi card but they're pricey for amount of space you get. Your best bet would prob be the micro sd with the adapter like the first guy mentioned.

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
I find it's safer to leave the micro-SD card in the tablet alone as much as possible. I'd suggest plugging the camera's full size SD card into an SD slot on your computer, assuming it has one, and connecting the tablet to the PC via USB. Then your backup becomes a simple copy from one removable drive to the other. (IE: From J: to K: If you're set up for network filesharing, I've found that andSMB works really well, as does Astro FileManager, with the SMB module added.

Wham

Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for the quick, clever responses.

I'm hoping the honeycomb update might be the answer.

Meantime, I'll probably spend sometime researching the wifi card avenue.

Still have about 60 days on my Costco buyers remorse period.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
It will also depend if Vizio will allow it also, as usual they can block feature. Your basic EyeFi card will only work without a Wifi Router present. You need to hit Best Buy or go online to find EyeFI Pro X 2 $99. You will also need to check and see if your camera is supported Camera Support . With the card you would need to change it to direct mode to create a wifi hotspot and have the EyeFi APP on your device.

Zina_berry

Dec 5, 2011
Sorry if I'm not sure about the question, but are you looking for an easy way to transfer files from your camera to the 32g card? I bought teeny usb card adapters which holds my micro cards. I take the cards out of my devices and plug into my laptop and then use windows explorer to move or copy stuff to where I want. Then I just reinsert the cards into their devices. Works well for me.

Philtablet

Jan 13, 2012
I second Zina berry's idea of using a micro SD card adapter and using a computer to transfer the photos from the Camera memory card to the Vizio tablet. My dexterity to handle the small micro SD card is good and for those folks with large thumbs and fingers maybe less handling of the small card is preferred.

When transferring photos it is also a good time to select small category files instead of making huge files. A little time spent in sorting will generally save you lots of time in the future when searching for that particular photo.

Wham

Feb 12, 2012
Actually, I'm trying to travel light...

No computer. Just the camera and the tablet.

The solution I'm looking for is to transfer directly from the camera to the tablet.

I'm going to pickup a 4gb eye-fi card for my camera.

My experiance is that 4gb is ok for a days worth of casual shooting as long as I don't go overboard on video.

I'll report on my experiance ASAP.

Let everyone know how it works out.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Make sure it is a X2 card though, they are the only ones that can direct connect. Series 1 must have a router.

Fishtank

Nov 30, 2011
The 4gb eye-fi card might be a neat toy, but you could probably buy eight standard 4gb sd cards for less, or certainly a single 32gb sd card for your camera, if the camera will support it. You also get the added plus of avoiding the battery drain that the eye-fi card will cause.