usb modem ...

Atsikitas

May 4, 2012
Ok, I have another qquestion. If I purchase a wi-fi only tablet, can I attach a usb device to get internet access when not in a wi-fi zone?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If you have a USB port, there are a very few 3G dongles that you could use. see How to setup your 3G modemHow to setup your 3G modem.

Another option would be to purchase a WiFi to 3G router, see here.

Yet another option, the best imho is to get a MiFi. Basically a 3G or 4G hotspot that you connect with using your WiFi. Most major cell phone carriers have one. They aren't cheap but they can usually allow 5 devices to connect at one time so they are very flexible and pretty much a slam dunk to work.

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Good question. This parallels a question I asked in the Android tablet Q&A section about whether there are any USB to wired ethernet adapters supported that would allow a direct ethernet connection when WiFi is not available or unreliable.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...8-android-support-usb-ethernet-interface.html

I'm not going to repeat the original post, but continue the discussion here. Currently I carry a small portable ethernet to WiFi hub for situations where only a wired etehrnet port is available, but having used an USB to wired ethernet adapter with laptops and desktops in the past, these seems like a useful option if it was supported.

I've tried various versions with powered USB ports on both a Coby MID1126 (with 2.3.3 and 4.0.3) and an Acer A500 (with 3.2.1 and 4.0.3) and have never gotten the tablet to recognize the adapter. I assume this is a matter of drivers and support, as these ports do recognize USB mice and keyboards, 2.4 GHz wireless mouse dongles and 4-to-1 USB hubs.

If anyone has had success with USB to wired ethernet adapters under any Android version, I'd be interested in discussing this topic.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
I have a Wi-Fi only tablet. When no WiFi is available and I absolutely need to use my tablet, I run the FoxFi app on my DroidX phone, and then my tablet sees the WiFi network it can connect to get to the internet.