USB Music and playlist Sync with Winamp

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Has anyone been able to sync both music files and playlists with the Winamp desktop to Winamp Android app? I can "sync" the entire collection ( songs & playlists) but the playlists come up empty or don't appear on the device.

What I'm doing:

1- Auto-mount is first enabled in Winamp ettings on device., plug connect to desktop with USB cable, and wait for USB connection signal from device.

2- Then launch the Winamp desktop and switch to the media library view. The Android appears in the device group. I also change the music folder using this procedure

3- You can now sync the entire collection by clicking your device on the right side or right-click playlist(s) on the left and Send To: (device)

I usually just do the first choice (sync everything)

4- After the sync process finishes, you can unmount your device and then disconnect the cable.

5- You should now be able to launch the app and play music.

When I check the playlist listing, some of the playlists didn't get sync'd, and after I launch a playlist that was on the list, and see some names missing or the songs won't play!? I get a message "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file." Some songs are even duplicated! The resident music player does the same thing as Winamp when opening playlists and playing them.

I've never had this much frustration. I even tried Windows Media Player to sync songs & playlists, but Winamp can't find the playlists at ALL then. Androids are obviously not WMP-compatible at this time.

There's no help from the Internet on this. they are all just talking about the wireless sync, and how it's so great. :confused:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry, but I use folders to organize my music with Mortplayer because the Huwaei screws up all my music tags otherwise. I really do not like Android's built in music scanner. Mortplayer handles music files scans on its own.

I use Mp3Tag to force all my music to id3v2.3 UTF16 because I have multi-language music.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I got so tired and frustrated with trying to get Winamp to transfer everything correctly that I was just about to wipe out the whole device in case some critical files or apps were missing, and I remembered those apps are permanently gone, thanks to System App Remover. So I thought I'd give Windows Media Player another try.

It worked! I got all the files transferred and the playlist files too. I had to remove the external Micro-SD card because WMP detected that as a (music device.) There were a few errors in the playlist files because some songs were renamed, so I just pasted copies of the corrected playlists over the old ones.

Just remember to unmount the device from the USB port before disconnecting, or you'll get a "SD card full" message, and have to reboot to fix it.

Maybe they'll fix the winamp desktop, but since I use WMP for all my other music players, it's no big deal.