USB Speakers For A500

Wingcheck

Apr 3, 2012
I have a great see of portable speakers that I was using for my laptop. Now I would like to use them with my new Acer Iconia a500 tablet. However when I plug into the tablet USB port, I get nothing, nada, zip. Not even the satisfaction of seeing a power light come on. The speakers are port powered. Does anyone have an idea as to how to get these puppies working? THANKS.

J

jimbo7630

I think that, in general, Tablets just don't have the power to supply to peripherals like Laptops do.

Edit: I have found that I have to use self-powered (Active) speakers if I want to have external speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Wingcheck, congratulations on your new A500 and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum for you. The people there are familiar with your tablet and are the ones most likely to to join the discussion and be able to help you. Good luck!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The other issue is that if they ONLY use the USB port (no headphone jack) then they require a driver to work on a computer. Same for Android, only very few USB drivers are included in Android. Most of them are USB Mass Storage (Flash and Hard Drives) as well as Human Input Devices (HID) like mouse and keyboards.

WiFi cards, 3G, DVD, Webcams, scanners, printers, etc. do not work via USB with most Android devices.