USB that useful on Transformer?

samarai

May 25, 2011
After reading reviews on the new Galaxy Tab 10" - it appears to be an outstanding tablet. But, it doesn't have a USB connection. On my PCs I really use the USB connections and I feel that I want the Asus Transformer because it appears to have everything I am looking for in a tablet including USB. Am I just stuck in the past and the USB connection is unnecessary in a tablet?

DJACID

May 7, 2011
Well the transformer has a use port on the keyboard dock,Is USB useful,Well I don't really need to use it,I tethered the TF to my phone so don't need a 3G USB stick,Got a cheap deal on 3 8GB micro sd card and micro USB reader,So if I ever need anything of the PcAnd I Can't stream it Across I Simple remove the sd and plug it into the USB reader,For me USB isn't a deal breaker,Asus should be releasing the USB adapter next week

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
For the transformer, since the usb can be used as a host (it only exists on the dock, though you can kludge a usb connection without the dock using a double female usb connector with the charging cable) which is convenient for wireless peripherals such as a mouse (worked great) and to hook a portable hard drive up for file transfer or direct playing of multimedia files from the hdd. I think it is a great feature on the transformer when it is being used in netbook vice tablet mode.

DJACID

May 7, 2011
So it's simple as using a female to female USB adapter with the charging table,Will have to try this...

DJACID

May 7, 2011
My mate just tried it and it didn't work,Just remember myself that the data cable is usb3 so no way of working unless you mod the pin out on the cable,And as it stands any parts for the Asus are hard enough to buy let alone a spare charging cable,Easier waiting for the USB adapter,Samsung have already have there's out on order...

ardon

Jun 15, 2011
Hi guys thanks for this information ,its really helpful .i have been trying to put files on my sd card from my laptop but my transformer is failing to open them , need help

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Hi guys thanks for this information ,its really helpful .i have been trying to put files on my sd card from my laptop but my transformer is failing to open them , need help

You're going to have to be more specific - what type of files are you trying to open (videos, music, docs), how hare you trying to read them (i.e., via a file explorer or app on the tab), how is the card connected to the tab (i.e., card slot, usb reader, wireless)?

ardon

Jun 15, 2011
I had movies downloaded on my laptop,so i transferred them to a micro sd card ..I put the micro sd card into my pad , I checked them in my sd settings but fail to open

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
I had movies downloaded on my laptop,so i transferred them to a micro sd card ..I put the micro sd card into my pad , I checked them in my sd settings but fail to open

Still need more info about the movies. Do you know what file type the movies are formatted based on the file extension (i.e., mp4 (should open with stock player), avi, mkv, divx, ts etc.), bitrate (i.e., KB or MB/sec), resolution (480i, 720P, 1080i)? It matters because the stock player can only play a limited number of file types, bitrates, and resolutions. If you have no idea, try downloading Moboplayer from the market (free) and see if you can open the files with that player.

ardon

Jun 15, 2011
Has anyone connected their tablet to television using the hdmi cable ,my transformer seems not to respond ,any ideas

tinamar

Aug 27, 2011
My mate just tried it and it didn't work,Just remember myself that the data cable is usb3 so no way of working unless you mod the pin out on the cable,And as it stands any parts for the Asus are hard enough to buy let alone a spare charging cable,Easier waiting for the USB adapter,Samsung have already have there's out on order...

Thanks for the info about usb3.
Has anyone try d it wit a USB 3.0 A Type Female to A Type Female Gender Changer ?
for example
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/USB-3-0-A-female-to-A-female-converter-adapter-F-F-/220803398691?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3368e87c23
Or will i have to wait for Asus to build one :rolleyes:

Last edited:

surfnmadness

Aug 9, 2011
TF101 works great with HDMI to TV. Just make sure HDMI is in tight on both pad and TV side. Also TV is turned over to source port of the HDMI you are using. BTW, Netflix does work over it too!

bjorke

Jan 5, 2011
The TF works swimmingly with a regular mouse, in laptop mode.

Acronym-a-rama:

I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm hoping I can connect a CF reader on one side and a small HD on the other side and use the TF to transfer pictures from my SLR to the HD.