USB to Charger?

mikew99

Apr 9, 2011

lupedog

Aug 26, 2011
thanks for the reply, i will order so so then we can all know what to order if we want it, thanks for you help

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
I realise most people reading this will be in the US (etc) but for anyone in OZ or NZ Jaycar electronics sells a few bits and pieces which can be used to make your own cable.

The parts you would be looking at are (I'm linking the US site for the northern hemisphere):

DC plugs & lead (The smallest plug is a good fit) 7-Plug DC Wiring Kit - Jaycar Electronics
USB plug (Don't worry, it's the standard male type) USB Plug - Type A - Solder type - Jaycar Electronics

And while you can use electrical tape I would personally use heatshrink to tidy it up.

They have a few other interesting bits and pieces such as a NZ/AU power supply which works as a replacement mains charger (5V 3A) and this 3.1A Dual USB Car Adaptor - Jaycar Electronics, it's designed with iPads in mind but if you make up a ISB charging cable then there's no reason it couldn't work.

Mansquito

Jul 20, 2011
If anyone has a XBOX 360 wireless mic the cord will work. I have a older model with a AC type cord and a newer cord that is usb. Tested and works great

jbreslau

Oct 24, 2011
So I ordered this cable and it just came in. It seems to work except that I noticed the screen was flickering when plugged in. Anyone else see that??

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
So I ordered this cable and it just came in. It seems to work except that I noticed the screen was flickering when plugged in. Anyone else see that??

What's your tablet brand and model??

Cobytab

Dec 7, 2011
Hello- Do you mind sharing the make and description of the cord you purchased. I recently bought a MyCharger portable charger but it needs a USB connection to go with the proprietary tip that the 7022 accepts. I'm a little skittish about splicing the wall adaptor tip to a USB cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Tablet Forum

trmurray

Feb 20, 2012
So I just joined the community here, but I read quite a bit before getting my Coby Kyros 7127. I found a usb 2.0 to 3.5mm barrel cable on amazon for under 2 dollars shipped. I plug it in and starts to charge then says it's fully charged but obviously it isn't. I'm guessing that the standard of 100 mA, the Belkin charging cube I have for my ipod says it's 1 amp and the power adapter that came with my Kyros says it's 2.4 A. I'm just guessing that the Kyro's is needing the higher amperage to charge. Anyone else got any experience with this.

Thanks

Todd

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
My 7022 charger died today and I would like to know what is the barrel size for the charger. Is it 2.0mm or 3.5mm. Thank you

Estherrod

Apr 23, 2012
I'm looking for a usb cord for the Android OS 2.2/Kernel 2.6.32/Build Number V.1.5.5. Where can I find this size usb cord?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm just guessing that the Kyro's is needing the higher amperage to charge.

Everything I've read on the subject indicates this is the case. Even if the voltage is a match for your tablet, a USB port will generally charge much more slowly than the charger that came with your tablet. It doesn't provide enough amperage to charge at the same rate. If a PC has both front and rear USB ports, the rear ones will sometimes provide a higher amperage than the front. So, if you have to do this for whatever reason, use the rear USBs when possible.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
My 7022 charger died today and I would like to know what is the barrel size for the charger. Is it 2.0mm or 3.5mm. Thank you

For the 7022 the plug is 1.3mm ID x 3.5mm OD, I know because I made up a charging lead for this.

For the record for the charging lead to work off of USB you need to connect to a powered hub or iPad charger (etc).

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
For the 7022 the plug is 1.3mm ID x 3.5mm OD, I know because I made up a charging lead for this.

For the record for the charging lead to work off of USB you need to connect to a powered hub or iPad charger (etc).
Thank you. I ordered these two chargers from amazon already and should arrive here by May 18 hopefully they will work.
Wall Charger
Amazon.com: Premium External Power Supply 5.0v 2.0A (2000mA) AC/DC Adapter for USB HUB and 2.5-inch HDD Enclosure: Computers & Accessories
the image shows the same spec and company as the one that came with the tablet but I'm not sure if the actual product will look the same.
USB Charger
Amazon.com: USB to 3.5mm Barrel Jack 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics
The specs say 3.5mm but i'm not sure if that is outside diameter or inner diameter.
UPDATE: Received the chargers today and both of the chargers barrel sizes were larger than the tablets port.

Last edited: