Use Tablet to Replace Laptop When Traveling?

fred

Mar 25, 2011
When traveling I need access to my PC as well as others. Currently use my laptop and logmein or chrome remote desktop to do this. Bought Nexus 7 and thought voila' since it has chrome browser that would be just the ticket... except chrome store is not yet available for mobile chrome browser. So, rather than personally evaluate all the options available for remote access via android I thought I would ask the smarter community for their recommendations.

What are your thoughts and experiences with Wyse Pocketcloud, Logmein Ignition or any other of the remote access applications?

ONE item is CRITICAL for accessing the pc's I need to access remotely: I HAVE to be able to "right click - save as". Don't like it but one of our 3rd party legacy applications requires it. Do any of the remote access apps allow this and are they easy to accomplish it if they do?

If apps don't seamlessly allow "right click - save as" what about a bluetooth mouse or a usb mouse? Any recommendations on those? Are there any supported micro usb to usb OTG cables for the Nexus 7?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to provide.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok I admit this isn't a detailed answer to your well written questions but two apps that are also popular are teamviewer and splashtop. Yes to both types of mice being supported and to OTG cables being available.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I use Splashtop to do this.

External mice allow right click to save as, or you can long press to get a right click.

I believe you need to pay to get the Splashtop Anywhere access.

If you know how to set up your router for port forwarding, you can use 2X and just use RDP protocol. It also has mouse right click as well as on screen right click functionality.

fred

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I am going to test Pocketcloud tonight. Will see about Splashtop tomorrow. It appears I can't transfer my "paid" logmein pro account over to Logmein Ignition?

My company router is administered by my ISP but perhaps I can configure my hardware firewall for port forwarding and try 2X?

Have either of you tested any OTG's with the Nexus 7 for compatibility and workability?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I haven't personally tested but have read reports that the OTG cables work without issue on the Nexus 7.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Over at our sister forum for Nexus Tablets, many users have OTG cables.

There is a media importer to import media for unrooted users. If you want R/W for external drives you need to root.

Other USB devices like mice work fine. I would get a BT mouse myself so you don't have to use an OTG or have a tail on your tablet.

Visit us here for more N7 info: http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/

fred

Mar 25, 2011
Pocketcloud worked pretty well. Install, setup and connection was easy and straight forward. Their mouse emulator takes some getting used to and was unable to get the remote desktop to display full screen on the nexus.

Mattylad

Nov 18, 2012
I do all the above on my G Nexus 7.
I have an OTG cable that allows me to access both SUB memory sticks and keyboards/mice etc if needed.

I also use either Teamviewer or Splashtop HD to control my home PC, access files etc.

The biggest problem is that I need to be connected via WIFI to do it, so if going mobile then you would need a MIFI device with a monthly top up card account to do it.

Also that my PC screen is high res and when on the Nexus things look very small, its also a bit of a pain having to wait for the mouse pointer to follow you on the nexus.But
it does work.