Uses for the SD Card?

bunks10

Jan 31, 2012
I was wondering if I had some books and android games on my computer and transferred them to the SD Card, would I be able to use them?

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
Obviously, the files would have to be in some format that an app on your tablet can read but, yes, when you plug in the card, they're available right away. If you don't have a file manager app, downloading one will make them easier to see.

For example, a choir that I'm in makes all of its sheet music available online in .pdf files. I put my SD card into my home computer and downloaded all of them to the card and then added it to the A500. I now just read directly from the tablet when I'm singing with the group rather than fumbling with paper copies. I have about 5 apps that can read .pdf format so I just choose the one that will work best for me.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
For example, a choir that I'm in makes all of its sheet music available online in .pdf files. I put my SD card into my home computer and downloaded all of them to the card and then added it to the A500.

Why wouldn't you just download the pdfs directly to the Acer? Why the extra steps of going thru you home computer?

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
Why wouldn't you just download the pdfs directly to the Acer? Why the extra steps of going thru you home computer?

The music is distributed via DropBox along with junk like complete recordings of rehearsals. I don't care to give up the storage space on the A500 so I never added DropBox to it. I have lots of room on the PC, though, so I prefer to work through it.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I do the same thing, that way I've also got a backup of the stuff on my tablet.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Obviously, the files would have to be in some format that an app on your tablet can read but, yes, when you plug in the card, they're available right away. If you don't have a file manager app, downloading one will make them easier to see.

For example, a choir that I'm in makes all of its sheet music available online in .pdf files. I put my SD card into my home computer and downloaded all of them to the card and then added it to the A500. I now just read directly from the tablet when I'm singing with the group rather than fumbling with paper copies. I have about 5 apps that can read .pdf format so I just choose the one that will work best for me.

Is that legal, copyright wise? Drives me nuts when our choir director makes copies I know are illegal. Do you scan the music onto your pc? That would be cool!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The music is distributed via DropBox along with junk like complete recordings of rehearsals. I don't care to give up the storage space on the A500 so I never added DropBox to it. I have lots of room on the PC, though, so I prefer to work through it.

The Dropbox app on the tablet does not automatically download everything. (Unlike the PC version).
Only things you request. (tap on). So its not going to fill up your tablet.

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
Is that legal, copyright wise? Drives me nuts when our choir director makes copies I know are illegal. Do you scan the music onto your pc? That would be cool!

Now there's a question that gets a lot of debate. There's a pretty extensive thread about it on Choralnet and as far as I've ever been able to tell, it's never been settled in a court. The theory we're operating under is that we've purchased licenses for N choir members and that the right we paid for is for N people to have music to look at, not necessarily on the specific sheets of paper that were shipped to us. So far I'm the only one in the group using a soft copy (everyone else prints theirs out at home) but I hear it's pretty common in college choirs to see kids singing off tablets. It will be interesting to see how this plays out legally.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Okay back to method. I figure I have a copy of the music so copying it to the tablet should be perfectly fine. As long as there are enough physical, paid for sheets of music, there would be no violation. I contacted Vajda years ago when we wanted to use one of his hymns in our wedding. That was his response.

So, did you already have electronic copies, or did you scan them. Or other. :)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I was wondering if I had some books and android games on my computer and transferred them to the SD Card, would I be able to use them?

You can't play the games while they're on the SD card. You'll have to transfer them to the internal storage card. My understanding is that the micro SD is for storage only. This may change under ICS. Not sure!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Yes, it depends on tbe tablet. Mine is for storage.

Don9992

Jan 20, 2012
Okay back to method. I figure I have a copy of the music so copying it to the tablet should be perfectly fine. As long as there are enough physical, paid for sheets of music, there would be no violation. I contacted Vajda years ago when we wanted to use one of his hymns in our wedding. That was his response.

So, did you already have electronic copies, or did you scan them. Or other. :)

So......I'm not clear what his bottom line was.