Using a flash card reader with the Asus, Acer, or Toshiba models

Jeffp25

Jul 16, 2011
I'm considering buying an Android tablet and I'd like to be able to use it to view/show photos directly from flash media. The Toshiba has some advantage here, as it can read SD cards directly (I've verified that on a display model), but I'd like to use it with CF cards. That means using a USB card reader. Anyone tried using one of those to read a CF card on the Acer or Toshiba models, or on the Asus with the keyboard unit attached?

mthaiss

Aug 31, 2011
I'm considering buying an Android tablet and I'd like to be able to use it to view/show photos directly from flash media. The Toshiba has some advantage here, as it can read SD cards directly (I've verified that on a display model), but I'd like to use it with CF cards. That means using a USB card reader. Anyone tried using one of those to read a CF card on the Acer or Toshiba models, or on the Asus with the keyboard unit attached?

I'm working with a Thinkpad tablet and haven't found a way to connect a CF card yet (which isn't saying much since I have no prior experience with Android). I was hoping it would detect the card reader as a USB flash storage device, but it doesn't. I'm using the Kingston FCR-HS219 card reader. The activity light stays on for about 2 minutes, but nothing indicates that it is accessible.

So, if someone can point me in the right direction:
Is there a good file management tool out there for Android 3.1 (tablet)?
Is there a way to monitor a system log or peek into the state of device registration?
What are some must-have tools for managing the tablet?

Thank you.

Jeffp25

Jul 16, 2011
Is there a good file management tool out there for Android 3.1 (tablet)?

I don't know if the built-in File Manager App on your tablet supports memory plugged in to the USB port - some don't. I've found two that I like on the Acer tablet: File Manager HD and Astro file manager, liking the latter the most. Note that it typically takes about 10 seconds or more for the memory to be recognized.