Using an A500 as a word processor

Jan 24, 2012
Recently, my old windows laptop gave up the ghost and now I'm looking for a replacement.

I was having a look at the netbooks in my local store when I happened upon the A500 and W500 and I have to say that my curiosity is peaked... I use an HTC Evo phone and I'm getting to quite like Android as an OS.

Would it be possible to hook up a bluetooth/USB mouse/keyboard to the A500 and use it for word-processing, etc?
Are there any good apps that could handle the task? And how is the OS with handling transfer of files to USB flash drives?

Thanks for your time.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Bluetooth OR usb keyboards and mice work perfectly, as doe usb flash drives or usb disk drives.

There are office suite packages available for not much money in the android market. And of course there is always google docs as a storage and sharing solution.

If you are planning to write the next great novel, go get a computer. But for small document handling the A500 can do it.

Jan 24, 2012
I was just planning on using it for work, websurfing and ebooks...
I work as a teacher and I'm a pretty long way from the school, so I was looking for something small and portable that I would be able to knock up worksheets and things like that.

Sounds like the A500 (And Android tablets in general) might be just the thing I need...

Thanks for your advice.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I was just planning on using it for work, websurfing and ebooks...
I work as a teacher and I'm a pretty long way from the school, so I was looking for something small and portable that I would be able to knock up worksheets and things like that.

Sounds like the A500 (And Android tablets in general) might be just the thing I need...

Thanks for your advice.

I'm a teacher myself & I use my A500 for almost EVERYTHING! I still use my laptop for bigger projects but the A500 for taking notes at meetings, lesson plans, reading PDF's etc...I use several of the office apps, Office Suite, Documents To Go, and QuickOffice Pro for Tablets. I like the QuickOffice the best but the others are GREAT. I only "purchased" the Docs to Go app since I got the other 2 from Amazon's Free App of the Day when they had them there. I've used a USB keyboard with my Viewsonic gTablet very successfully and now I'm looking to get a small bluetooth keyboard to carry around with me...I thinking on the Logitech one for tablets. I haven't tried using Excel or PowerPoint with the A500 yet but I'm sure they are just as good as the Word documents.

Like I mentioned above, you might still want a laptop for the bigger projects but for everyday use & quick documents the A500 is AWESOME!!!

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
The Logitec keyboard for Android Tablets or whatever they call it works very well, I've used it most with a Windows tablet but the keys do work very well and seems to last a long time on a set of batteries. The little stand is OK as long as you don't want to have headphones and the charging adapter in your a500 at the same time when in portrait mode.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Recently, my old windows laptop gave up the ghost and now I'm looking for a replacement.

I was having a look at the netbooks in my local store when I happened upon the A500 and W500 and I have to say that my curiosity is peaked... I use an HTC Evo phone and I'm getting to quite like Android as an OS.

Would it be possible to hook up a bluetooth/USB mouse/keyboard to the A500 and use it for word-processing, etc?
Are there any good apps that could handle the task? And how is the OS with handling transfer of files to USB flash drives?

Thanks for your time.
I'll be a little contrary to Icebike here and say that my daughter uses her a500 for writing her novels. Especially when she's away from home!

But, mind you, she also uses her desktop computer and her laptop. I can't see why one couldn't write a whole series of novels just using the a500 and a USB stick for file saving and backup. The A500 has plenty of space and more than enough processing power. In this household there are 3 a500s and all 3 have a wireless keyboard from toshiba.