V712 and Android questions

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
So I have been enjoying my V712 for the past few days and now I have a few questions.

I have a USB OTG cable and it works great but when I use it I also lose the ability to charge my Onda. Any thoughts on how to use otg and charge at the same time? If the battery was so ridiculously weak this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

This next question is related to Android in general. What's the deal with tasks and closing them? I have a pet peeve with anything running that isn't necessary but there isn't always a straight forward way to close an app. I have a task killer and use it regularly but is there a way to easily close apps or have them force closed?

Also, after I close apps in task killer and then reopen it, many tasks are showing open again...what's going on here?

It's really a shame the battery is so weak...I got barely2 hours on a full charge last night. I did have wifi on which I know drains it faster but what is a tablet without a wifi connection?

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
Charge or USB... one or the other, can't do both. Looks like the trend with newer tablets is to have 2 USB ports.. My 811 is set up the same way your 712 is. Guess we will have to wait until our next tablets to fix this.... Oh well... The task deal used to freak me out too. Back in the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth, we had things called TSR's (terminate & stay resident programs). They would really eat RAM. They could seriously degrade performance. The designers of Android took this in to account. It is suppose to auto-manage memory usage. That's the theory. Of course, in practice, it often seems like things get loaded up a bit. Try a task manager. I recommend ES Task Manager for non-rooted & Gemini for rooted tablets. Battery life.... I don't think I have come across a Chinese tablet yet that has really good battery life. I have been watching the specs on the newer dual-core tablets and it looks like they are trending towards larger batteries. Here again, my NEXT tablet will have.... I have chargers scattered around where ever I use my tablet most so I can plug in. It's not a fix but an option.... Chinese tablets just keep getting better and with the current crop of Cortex A9 chips coming out, I expect good things in the future. And of course, NOW we know what to look for.... :eek:

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Battery - Did you give it a good charge before you first used it, i unboxed mine (v701) and charged for about 16hrs, i get about 4-6hrs with wi-fi and gaming etc...

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
Just watched Akira followed by some Ghost in the Shell. Got about 2.65 hrs... max screen bright... wifi on...

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Battery - Did you give it a good charge before you first used it, i unboxed mine (v701) and charged for about 16hrs, i get about 4-6hrs with wi-fi and gaming etc...

I didn't charge it right away as it had an almost full battery. It has since drained to almost empty and I have fully charged it and that's when I got just over 2 hours. Should I do a complete discharge and then charge it for a long time?

asjohnston3

Oct 10, 2012
Lithium batteries have a memory. Let the tablet discharge slowly. (in stand-by mode) Then charge the tablet for 12 - 16 hours. Repeat the process at least once. See if that helps.

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Lithium batteries have a memory. Let the tablet discharge slowly. (in stand-by mode) Then charge the tablet for 12 - 16 hours. Repeat the process at least once. See if that helps.

Pretty sure lithium batteries don't have any memory...it's the nickel cadmium batteries that had the memory issues.

Well I completely drained the battery last night and have since charged it about 15 hours. I will test out the performance tonight and report back.

vortgrenade4

Nov 14, 2012
well I have battery drain issues too on my v712 esp. when in wifi. ~.~ it sucks that I have to charge it like 3-4 times a day. ~.~ my brightness is set to zero already. just such a sad thing for this wonderful device was hoping for a 6 hours battery life or more. i'm just having like 2 hours on wifi.

Last edited:

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Well I ran my battery test tonight and managed to get 2 hours & 20 minutes out of it...that was with wifi on, watching Netflix, and screen dimmed as much as possible. That is pretty terrible but hopefully it will improve.