Very close to buying an A500. Is it the best bang for the buck in mid January 2012?

JMGNole

Jan 19, 2012
From reviews of current and potential tablets, this seems like the tablet to beat. I've only had a few moments to play with an iPad2 and I was underwhelmed. I want Android, and I want to spend less than $400.

What say ye? I'd truly appreciate some feedback, good or bad.

JMG

crshonkwiler

Dec 29, 2010
I've had mine since August of last year and have never had a problem. Since I have an android phone and can share apps, it only made sense to me, and I've been very pleased. My wife also has one and uses it rather than the desktop most of the time.

JMGNole

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks. I've read a jillion reviews and almost all of them were very positive. I guess I'll be pulling the trigger soon.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You might also wait till the 510 becomes more available. Perhaps they have solved the microphone problem by then, and it will come out as ICS instead of honeycomb.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks. I've read a jillion reviews and almost all of them were very positive. I guess I'll be pulling the trigger soon.
Very good buy. And The microphone issue has been fixed with a firmware update. Don't know if Icebike has receive the latest yet usually 4 to 6 weeks after me. ICS will be available fr the A500.

The A510 may costba bit more in the initial sales run. But if you prefer to wait a little longer then do so.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I just got a refurb A500 from Walmart.com for $278 and it's amazing...coming from the Viewsonic gTablet (not a bad tablet to begin with) I was just so amazed with the speed of the A500...I tried the A200 which is a nice tablet...but missing the rear camera & hdmi...not a HUGE deal for me but since the A500 refurb was about $70 cheaper I went with it...I don't regret it a bit!

candita

Jan 7, 2012
I love my A500 & I have never had a microphone problem. I love almost everything about my tablet..there are of course some things I'd like to have like to be able to play games on my pogo account & to be able to play all the facebook games (can play alot of them tho) But those are small things compared to everything else I can do on it.

JMGNole

Jan 19, 2012
I got it on Friday and I love it. I got used to ICS on my Nexus and I can't wait for that update but that's the only issue I have. I really like it a lot. I just need to get past my buyers remorse and really need Adobe to fix their tablet apps, particularly Ideas, since I'm a vector art guy. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Had the A500 and was seriously underwhelmed with it. I did end up selling it for about 150.00 more than I spent. There was nothing wrong with it that I knew of. No mic issue. I think I tried about everything on it except video calling because I could never figure it out. There were no apps on the tablet that could be used for video calling. It wasn't until after I sold it that I found you had to add that yourself. Who knew.
While the tablet was competent, there was just something missing. For me it was that the tablet for 400.00 + dollars was nothing to write home about. I was excited to get it, but that was where the excitement ended. So I sold it.

Currently I am using my Vizio 1008 while I wait to get my IPad 2 back from my sister. I have never used the IP2 and would like to very much but my sister lives in East Jesus Ill and we don't see each other as often as would we use to.
If I were going to recommend one possibly in place of the A500 I would say Vizio VTAB3010 or LePan3, neither are available right now but will be soon. Having said all that. By the time they are released the Acer A500 may be in the same price range as they are, which is projected to be in the upper 200.00 to low to mid 300s.
If you have a bead on a A500 particularly for less than 300.00 I would say go for it.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
if i were you...ill wait for the a700 due the nvidia tegra3 :)
Would you wait? I probably would now that I have the A500. Otherwise It depends on the mews. You're thinking with your head but it all depends on the heart.

Dr0id

Jul 19, 2011
Would you wait? I probably would now that I have the A500. Otherwise It depends on the mews. You're thinking with your head but it all depends on the heart.

We have an romantic here! LOL...
I have an A500, it's an very good hardware but it still needs more specs (cpu,ram,front camera, mic gain, accesories..blabla) ... And about the nvidia tegra 3, some new games are only working with that gpu, that $ucks! (check nvidia tegra zone)

Happy buying! :D

redcloud

Aug 24, 2011
I Own an A500 tablet, and am very happy with mine. It is very reliable and has pretty good ergonomics and a nice screen. Too bad Acer won't be coming out with a quad core in the next month or so, for I would opt for one. The plus is that the A500 will be getting ICS very soon. I highly recommend this tablet, it's a great tool to have. I ordered an Asus Transformer Prime, for my quad core device, and should arrive tomorrow. If there is any thing of interest I will post my notes once I get familiar with the new tablet.

Manoj1551

Jan 27, 2012
Am thinking to buy Refurb Acer 500 for 279. should i go for it. Am vary on Refurb Products. My friend is getting it from US to India . Is it safe bet to buy . Please recommend.