Very unresponsive screen

Feb 20, 2011
Hey guys,

I downloaded a few books earlier in .pdf format. Ever since opening one up in the standard B&N Reader app, my screen has become unbelievably unresponsive. In fact, while trying to download a separate reader app, it was so bad I had to reboot because I was stuck in the market. I have the screen recalibration app, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all.

Does anyone have ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks much,
Atticus

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
After a reboot you have to put your nook to sleep (quick press the power button) and then press the n button, slide to unlock and you are good to go. Touch sensitivity is a known issue after reboot. Just lock and unlock to fix :)

Feb 20, 2011
It seems to have solved itself. The sensitivity was prior to reboot, but lasted afterward regardless of sleeping and waking. I also had issues with the 'n' key not working. Again, it seems to work now, so oh well.

What reader app do you prefer for ebooks? I downloaded FBReader, but it doesn't read .pdfs.

Thanks,
Atticus

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It seems to have solved itself. The sensitivity was prior to reboot, but lasted afterward regardless of sleeping and waking. I also had issues with the 'n' key not working. Again, it seems to work now, so oh well.

What reader app do you prefer for ebooks? I downloaded FBReader, but it doesn't read .pdfs.

Thanks,
Atticus

Glad it is working. You can find some reader suggestions here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook/9436-what-do-you-mostly-use-your-nc.html. Look around the forum there are many other threads with suggestions too. :D

-JP

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011

Thanks,
Atticus
Yo Atticus try this one https://market.android.com/details?id=org.coolreader&feature=search_result Smooth. If not Aldiko https://market.android.com/details?id=com.aldiko.android&feature=search_result

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP

You may have likely ran low on system resources (mainly memory) due to having many apps open at the same time.

Install "Advance task killer" app
-open app, find advance task killer" app on list
-press and hold, menu will come up, press ignore (this will put ATK on the ignore list so it won't turn itself off)
-next in ATK, go to menu > settings
-Auto Kill Level, set to crazy (this will let the app be very aggressive on turning off apps automatically)
-Auto Kill Frequency, set to every half hour

These settings will keep you NC fresh with plenty of memory by turning off apps, that may be still on, that you are not using at the time.
Place very important apps on the ignore list as well, such as a clock or weather widget.

For all android people and their devices, most of us believe this app is a must have . :)

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks, Local. I'm using Aldiko at the moment due to the large majority of good comments around here.

Rico,
I have ATK installed on my Nook (HTC Aria as well). I actually have it set to kill on every wake up. At one point I did open it up and make a point to close everything. Who knows. It seems to be working, so must have just been an odd hiccup.

I appreciate the help!
-Atticus

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks, Local. I'm using Aldiko at the moment due to the large majority of good comments around here.

Rico,
I have ATK installed on my Nook (HTC Aria as well). I actually have it set to kill on every wake up. At one point I did open it up and make a point to close everything. Who knows. It seems to be working, so must have just been an odd hiccup.

I appreciate the help!
-Atticus

Glad to hear, everyone should be using this app. I'm more a set time person myself since, especially in 2.2, apps have a bad habit of turning on themselves. So while I have the screen on for long periods of time, such as when reading, surfing and playing a game, the app will keep my mem at a manageable level. I have to admit, I've never even tried "on wakup/when screen off" so I can't comment on which works better. I'll have to try your frequency settings someday. :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
@AtticusFidelity - try EzPDF Reader. I prefer more than any app for reading PDFs.