Video calling app

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Does anyone use anything besides Skype? I do use it on the computer, but in Ubuntu. An old version worked on an Froyo Android phone and a Symbian phone. I don't think I care for Skype that much since MS bought it.
The app would have to work internationally, and on both an A100 and A500.

Thanks

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have used Skype and "Talk" (Google Talk) to video chat with my wife when traveling internationally. Both work quite well so long as your internet has sufficient upload and download bandwidth. It is not always sufficient at hotels, but in general it has worked great for me.

Since Skype and Talk are available on most platforms with video plugins (iOS, Android, PC and Mac) it has not been an issue. I am not sure if either have any Ubuntu support.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There is another app called VSEE - which actually allows video confeerencing with has many people that you could fit on your display - in seperate windows/panels on screen. I know you could get it for PC and MAC. Don't know if it is available for LINUX or ANDROID. Though I can't see why it wouldn't be - because it is ideal for thatvery thing ..

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Daughter will be here in August. I will be looking at all these suggestions to see which would work best. I will be giving her the A100, and I am using an A500.
She lives in the UK, I live here. She will have to enter her Google account (American - she has an American Credit Card) on the A 100. My question would also be how will the change of DNS/Wifi from US to UK affect the app?

Thanks