[Video] How I rooted my Pandigital 7" eReader Android Tablet

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
For some reason mine wouldnt work from internal memory like this video. I got the android exclamation image. I had to use the external sdcard. Posting in case someone else runs into this too.

Sent from my wpdn.

dtraylor

Jan 9, 2011
For some reason mine wouldnt work from internal memory like this video. I got the android exclamation image. I had to use the external sdcard. Posting in case someone else runs into this too.

Sent from my wpdn.

Thanks for your post. I am having the same problem. I will download the zipped pdroot to my external SD card just as you did.

But I have a quick question, did you simpley insert the SD card into the wpdn and hold the power switch + up volume for 5 seconds as stated earlier? Surely not. I suppose I must prompt the deice to read pdroot from the card, but it will not acknowledge the card. Even when I do - import card - nothing happens. UUUGGGHHH!!!!!

Thanks again.

Last edited:

HudsonMech

Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for your Post - but I'm still getting the little Android Exclamation Error.
I've tried from internal microSD like your video shows, External 16GB, 256MB and 512MB SD, and even pulled the internal card and put it in an external adapter and tried from there - still getting the "!".
Any idea of what the heck I'm doing wrong here?

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
Additional details:

I switched to the firmware at this site and am not having the sleep wifi issues mentioned by feverhost:
Alternate White PDN firmware: Stock-based framework with Market

Here is what I did:
1. Ensure there are no zip files on internal and external SD is completely empty
2. Plug SD card into Pandigital
3. Plug Pandigital into Computer
4. Copy the downloaded zip file to the external SD card (when I connect the WPDN to my MAC, it shows both SD cards as mounted storage devices).
5. *SAFELY* remove the storage devices when copy is complete (eject both, whatever is appropriate for your computer operating system).
6. Power off the WPDN
7. Hold VOL+ and power on for 5 seconds, release power on but continue holding VOL+ for another 10 seconds.

Good luck

twivel

Jan 5, 2011
One more thing .... Since by default, Safari on mac extracts zips after downloading them, I switched to Firefox to do the download of the firmware.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for the post. If anyone is having troubles with loading Market then do the following.

if you already have an account, click the sign in button and enter your gmail ID and password

then try the market. accept the license agreement, and then you will most likely get a server error

get out of that, now go to Settings, Accounts Y sync

click Add account at the bottom

click Google

click Next

if you happen to have a second gmail account click Sign-in

if you don't have a second gmail account click Create to make it now

get the second account entered, then get out of that, and go back to the market

it should work now

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Have any of you found a better keyboard app than the one that comes with it? Swype won't install on PDN because of the screen size

Jan 11, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for the video. It does make it easy but i am still getting the Android error. I've tried all of the methods above. I'm not sure what the problem is.

to Twivel - Is this firmware something you dowload after you root the device or is it a replacement for the root zip file from the video?

Thanks,

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
You put the zip file in the sd card before rooting. Make sure it is the only zip file on there. Turn off your pdn then hold down volume up and turn on your machine. Wait for pdn start screen to show before letting. This makes the tablet read from the sd card. You dont need to do anything else. About 5 mins later you should have rooted pdn

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Jan 11, 2011
I finally got it to work....Thanks for your help!

I'm new to android but it is very intuitive and easy to use...but for the life of me i could not figure out how to get files from my sd card to open up. What do i use to view pictures?

I downloaded 2 ereader apps, but didn't know how to add my epubs to them. Do i have purchase apps rather than get the free ones?

Also i was hoping there would be a videoplayer app that plays avi files but i couldn't find one.

If you have any tips...that would be great.

Thanks again

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
There is a gallery app built in to view pictures. Download astro to view things on your sd card. Its free. There is also a paid version.

Cant help with epubs or videos. But youll need to get youtube app to view it

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

indiandevil

Oct 29, 2010
does your WPDN seems to hog battery after being rooted ?
like i installed the cruz firmware (SlateDroid-CruzN, Eclair) everything works great, market, adilko. tweaked unnecessary apps from startup, screen brightness to around 60-70% but still the battery seems to vanish in a days time, rather than days like before on the WPDN firmware.

any inputs ?