Video:My vtab1008 after Honeycomb update.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
One other note just to be clear on this as well. Since I didn't state it directly in the previous post. You are not having an issue with Flash in Honeycomb. Honeycomb runs just fine without Flash. What you are saying is you are having issues with apps that need to use Flash. In that case get the latest Flash so those apps will work.

You are having app issues and Flash issues and Vizio is not responsible for those. The only way you could possibly blame Honeycomb would be because many developers didn't make updates to their apps to work with Honeycomb. In that case it would still be Google's problem not Vizio's and it would be a stretch to but the blame on Google since it comes back to the app developers not making the appropriate updates. If you want to say Google put out a bad version of Android in Honeycomb so that is why developers don't want to make apps for it fine but at the end of the day that doesn't really get you anywhere and google has moved on to the next version of Android in any case.

I wish you had a Vizio VTAB1008 yourself because you would stop trying to tell me there is a way to update the Adobe Flashplayer.

A long time ago Adobe started to put a restriction on their Flashplayer so a certain sized screen had to have a certain processor or higher. Adobe has basically done the same thing with the Vizio VTAB where they will not install their software on a 1024x768 screen with a slow processor.

The only way to get around the issue with the Adobe Flashplayer is for Vizio to either let us go back to Gingerbread or to see to it that the version of the Adobe Flashplayer they put on their device functions properly before they shove it down their customer's throats.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Sorry, I still think you are misunderstanding.

JP

If you start "Play Store" then search for flash player you will get the option to update the Adobe Flash Player 11 but if you attempt to update the Flash player it will terminate with the message: "This version of the Flash Player is not optimized for the VIZIO Tablet and will not be installed."

And the very least that Vizio could have done is given us the option to go back to Gingerbread if it worked better for the user and in this case it certainly worked better and I never saw my Vizio crash before it was updated to Honeycomb and now it ends up at the Vizio home page all the time and then I have to restart the Application from the start instead of where it was before it went back to the Vizio Home page,

Don't try to stick up for Vizio. There are other companies that let you pick and choose what software runs best on your device and they should do the same thing for us. OK?

Last edited:

Martel

Nov 14, 2011
I wish you had a Vizio VTAB1008 yourself because you would stop trying to tell me there is a way to update the Adobe Flashplayer.

A long time ago Adobe started to put a restriction on their Flashplayer so a certain sized screen had to have a certain processor or higher. Adobe has basically done the same thing with the Vizio VTAB where they will not install their software on a 1024x768 screen with a slow processor.

The only way to get around the issue with the Adobe Flashplayer is for Vizio to either let us go back to Gingerbread or to see to it that the version of the Adobe Flashplayer they put on their device functions properly before they shove it down their customer's throats.

Not actually true. You can find a different version on the internets, download it to your VTAB and sideload it. I have done this is both versions of Android on my tablet

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Not actually true. You can find a different version on the internets, download it to your VTAB and sideload it. I have done this is both versions of Android on my tablet

Ok, this will be easy enough for you to prove. Just give me the URL where you found a version of the Adobe Flash Player above 10.3 that installs on the VTAB1008 and does not have all the issues that version 10.3 under Honeycomb has.

I know exactly what has to be done to "Side Load" and I've done that myself just to avoid changing "Market" into "Play Store."

Many Thanks.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Roger, if you read my signature you will see that I do have a Vtab1008. I am running a rooted version and even though I am still on Gingerbread I am running the latest Flash 11 player. I hate to tell you but simply rolling back to Gingerbread will not allow you to download this from the market. You still get the incompatibility message. However you can 100% without a doubt side load it.

Just look at what people are posting:

"Forget about that "Side Load" thing because before you can do that someone has to find a version of the Adobe Flashplayer that will let you side load it onto the Vizio Tablet because the latest Adobe Flashplayer will not let you do that."

Roger, this statement is not correct. Google Play is preventing the app from being installed. Side loading circumvents Google Play and allows the installation of Flash 11. Many have done this already, including myself.

Yes download it from a sight like 4shared.com and side load it with an apk installer.look for flash player 11.apk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

honestly can't remember the exact site, but google "Abobe flash apk" with your browser. (incidentally, dolphin browser makes downloading and running files really easy) download the file then look for it in your downloads directory. click on it and let it run. (be sure that you've allowed for "unknown sources" downloads in the applications settings menu.) Flash 11 seems to run just fine, even though the market version says it doesn't, but you can find 10.3.

There are others too. Search is your friend. On that note Let me google that for you.

JP

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Roger, if you read my signature you will see that I do have a Vtab1008. I am running a rooted version and even though I am still on Gingerbread I am running the latest Flash 11 player. I hate to tell you but simply rolling back to Gingerbread will not allow you to download this from the market. You still get the incompatibility message. However you can 100% without a doubt side load it.

Just look at what people are posting:

There are others too. Search is your friend. On that note Let me google that for you.

JP

Ok, I'll try the Flashplayer from XDA developers when I get more time but you failed to mention what program I should use to transfer the APK to the VTAB1008 itself since the Astro File Manager will not let you install it from the SD card anymore because it can not longer see your SD card after the Honeycomb update.

Besides, I shouldn't have to be finding work arounds for programs that Vizio placed on their tablet from the very start. Plus, I happen to have a device that is running Gingerbread and it doesn't give away any of it's screen space for the buttons that are below the screen

I'll figure out some way to "Side Load" that Adobe Flash Player from XDA Developers even with the SD card problems but I wish XDA Developers could do something about the problems with the SD card after the Honeycomb update and the lack of full screen capability after the Honeycomb update.

I still blame all the problems I've had on Vizio because all they had to do was give their customers a way to revert to an earlier software version after someone has had so much trouble with one of their unnecessary updates.

Thanks

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Unnecessary update is debatable. Some people have had issues with it to be sure but over all it is considered an improvement by the majority. You would still have the Flash issues under Gingerbread and the SD card situation is far worse in Gingerbread. The only complaint I can't refute is the use of the soft buttons. I agree that Vizio has made an error here since they have the hardware already available for the buttons to utilize.

I hope you get your new Flash up and running soon :)

JP

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Unnecessary update is debatable. Some people have had issues with it to be sure but over all it is considered an improvement by the majority. You would still have the Flash issues under Gingerbread and the SD card situation is far worse in Gingerbread. The only complaint I can't refute is the use of the soft buttons. I agree that Vizio has made an error here since they have the hardware already available for the buttons to utilize.

I hope you get your new Flash up and running soon :)

JP

Thanks and I didn't have those problems under Gingerbread and the fact is, the Flashplayer worked better on my VTAB1008 in Desktop mode than on any of my other Android devices. Case in point: On my other Android devices I have to pause the youtube video before I go full screen, on the Gingerbread version of the VTAB1008 I could just double tap on a youtube video while it was playing to go full screen without pausing it first. But I doubt very much if that will be fixed with another Flash Player because I suspect it had something to do with the 4x3 screen ratio and the current VTAB1008 no longer has a 4x3 ratio because 9.5% of the bottom of the landscape screen is now used for other things.

I will say this too. I'll probably try that APK from XDA out on my Comtiva before I try it on my Vizio because I can use the SD card for attempting that install.

I used to enjoy watching youtube videos on my Vizio but now it is a big pain and I suspect even if I can get that APK to install it will probably have a problem with the lack of a 4x3 sceen next and force me to pause the video before I go full screen or attempt to go full screen. I'll let you know what I find out when I get the time to try it.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Roger, unfortunately as apps get updated even ones that had worked with Flash previously may not work with Flash after the update unless you have the appropriate version of Flash. For example the Netflix app could be updated and the new app looks for features of Flash 11 to use but finds you have an outdated Flash and then Netflix won't run correctly until you update Flash. Of course this happens indirectly since you updated Netflix and may not realize that it is having issues because Flash is outdated.

I can tell you the screen ration has nothing to do with double tapping to zoom full screen. Depending on if you are talking about the Youtube app or the browser the double tap was a function of that app. The old Youtube app used in Gingerbread did allow you to double tap to expanded and close full screen and you could also just turn the tablet sideways to enter full screen. It is the app that changes and Google that changed it. Not being able to do this now has nothing to do with Vizio.

You are making side loading too difficult. All you need to do is go into Settings>Apps and then check the Unknown sources box. Then open the browser. Next go to this link or one similar Adobe Flash Player 11 apk - APKTOP (the first link in the Google search below XDA or any other link you want and trust XDA or whatever) and click on the top version of Flash (11.1.111.6) to download the apk. Once it is downloaded you should be able to click the download notification to install. If not all you need to do is go to the "Download" app in the apps list and then open it. Touch on the Flash file that is in there and it will install.

JP

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012

Dang, I didn't realize that side loading meant using "RootExplorer" and knowing where to put everything and then installing without launching.

Holy cow I have to learn an entirly different way to do things to try and get my Honeycomb Vizio to work the same way it did when it was a Gingerbread Vizio.

Case in point look at the instructions on this page.

BTW I found out how to use the buttons to do a factory reset on the Vizio. Starting with the unit off, hold both the volume buttons in and then press and hold the power button for 3 seconds only. Let go of the Power button but keep holding the volume buttons in until you see a "!" in a triangle.

After you get to that you press the middle button on the bottom and follow the directions on the screen.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Dang, I didn't realize that side loading meant using "RootExplorer" and knowing where to put everything and then installing without launching.

Holy cow I have to learn an entirly different way to do things to try and get my Honeycomb Vizio to work the same way it did when it was a Gingerbread Vizio.

Don't worry you don't have to do all of that. That isn't even for the same device, it's for a Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Just do this:

You are making side loading too difficult. All you need to do is go into Settings>Apps and then check the Unknown sources box. Then open the browser. Next go to this link or one similar Adobe Flash Player 11 apk - APKTOP (the first link in the Google search below XDA or any other link you want and trust XDA or whatever) and click on the top version of Flash (11.1.111.6) to download the apk. Once it is downloaded you should be able to click the download notification to install. If not all you need to do is go to the "Download" app in the apps list and then open it. Touch on the Flash file that is in there and it will install.

Kail

Mar 5, 2012
Just a precaution!

Before you try to side load Flash 11.1.111.6. Make sure you backup your Flash 10.3.185.29........ To do that use ASTRO App. Under the Tools drop down, select Application Backup. A list of installed Apps will show up. Select Adobe Flash Player 10.3 from the list and click Backup. The Adobe Flash Player 10.3 apk file can be found in the backups/apps folder. To recover, just go to ASTRO again, Under the Tools drop down, select Application Backup, click Backed Up Apps, Adobe Flash Player 10.3 should be on the list. Just select it and click Install.

To check to see if you have installed the Flash version correctly and whether its working properly, go to the following site....Find version | Flash Player

To side load an App, you need to go to Settings/Applications and check Unknown sources. The easiest way to get the Side load App onto the tablet is by way of the DropBox App. Put the PC downloaded .apk file into your desktop DropBox. "Star" the .apk in your Tablet DropBox to download it and execute it.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kail said:
Just a precaution!

Before you try to side load Flash 11.1.111.6. Make sure you backup your Flash 10.3.185.29........ To do that use ASTRO App. Under the Tools drop down, select Application Backup. A list of installed Apps will show up. Select Adobe Flash Player 10.3 from the list and click Backup. The Adobe Flash Player 10.3 apk file can be found in the backups/apps folder. To recover, just go to ASTRO again, Under the Tools drop down, select Application Backup, click Backed Up Apps, Adobe Flash Player 10.3 should be on the list. Just select it and click Install.

To check to see if you have installed the Flash version correctly and whether its working properly, go to the following site....Find version | Flash Player

To side load an App, you need to go to Settings/Applications and check Unknown sources. The easiest way to get the Side load App onto the tablet is by way of the DropBox App. Put the PC downloaded .apk file into your desktop DropBox. "Star" the .apk in your Tablet DropBox to download it and execute it.

I saved a copy of the flashplayer that came with my Vizio a few days ago and even though the new one installed it has more problems than my old one so I'll be doing a hard reset if it keeps messing up.

Martel

Nov 14, 2011

BTW I found out how to use the buttons to do a factory reset on the Vizio. Starting with the unit off, hold both the volume buttons in and then press and hold the power button for 3 seconds only. Let go of the Power button but keep holding the volume buttons in until you see a "!" in a triangle.

After you get to that you press the middle button on the bottom and follow the directions on the screen.

I'm sorry, but what? I don't have root. It's sad you can't get it to work, but please don't try to ridicule us for trying to help

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I'm sorry, but what? I don't have root. It's sad you can't get it to work, but please don't try to ridicule us for trying to help

Sorry, but it was a little frustrating before I was given a single link for Version 11.1 to work with. It downloaded fine, even with the standard browser and it installed with Astro File Manager in no time because Astro helps you set it up for unknown sources.

But that Flashplayer didn't even change the background to black because it didn't do anything at all to the background. I could only get it to play in almost fullscreen and then when it did play it played very slow.

FYI I went to a Costco today that had 37 VTAB1008s and they were all Gingerbread too. They had a good price but it would have cost me $55 just to become a member and I don't go there enough for that.

I really liked the Gingerbread VTAB1008 and I might buy another one but I want to know a fool proof way to keep Visio from trying to update it first.

Thanks.