Video Performance with TF300?

Centropolis

Nov 23, 2011
I currently own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wifi first gen. The video playback on it (aside from H.264 mp4s) is not that great. FLVs, MKVs, RMVBs all are sluggish on it. It’s kind of a hit and miss. I have both Dice and MX Player but same results. I’ve done research on the internet and it seems to be a common issue with the Tab 10.1. Transformer doesn’t seem to have as much of this problem although it’s pretty much the same specs.

Anyway, I am looking to upgrade to the TF300 and was wondering if anyone has played with it for a few days and have played a number of video formats on it. If so, I want to see if the Tegra 3 performs better with video. Playing videos is one of the main things I do on my tablet so it has to be better for me.

What do you guys think?

D

dvdcatalyst

H264 MP4's are supported by the hardware decoding on most Android devices (as long as they are properly encoded)
the other formats you mentioned are not, and thus players like Dice and MX play them using a software-decoding engine (ffmpeg usually)

The Tegra3 is a bit more powerful, so it will work better, but you will likely encounter playback issues still.

If you have links to sample videos that are not copyrighted, you might want to post your question, along with sample links here:

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Forum

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
( suggest that for the best results you might consider the product that DVDCatalyst sells for a very reasonable $10. It has all types of tablet specific optimized settings, is dead simple to use and just works. The MKV files in particular are a big complaint on most tablets and a hit and miss at best. Using this program to covert those files is pretty much a slam dunk that they'll work just fine.

TheSticks

Jun 20, 2012
I tested video playback on 1080p video without issue. It was mp4.. As for other media files.. I use Dice Player to play back mkv files with ac3 audio, never had an issue.. The free version has ads, but not while you're watching.