Video Player App for MKV? (Not QQ, Not MX, Not Mobo, Not Mvideo)

S87

Oct 10, 2010
Having trouble finding an app that will smoothly play .MKV (matroska video) files. (For those unfamiliar with the format, MKV is commonly used for HD video.)

The popular QQ, Mobo, Mvideo, and MX players result in choppy, un-synced play. These apps do the same on my 2.1 device.

On my older Android 2.1 tablet, the native "camera" app plays these files perfectly, but I can't figure out how to get them to play on the Le Pan camera app.

I'll keep trying more apps.

frankthetank

Jun 20, 2011
Having trouble finding an app that will smoothly play .MKV (matroska video) files. (For those unfamiliar with the format, MKV is commonly used for HD video.)

The popular QQ, Mobo, Mvideo, and MX players result in choppy, un-synced play. These apps do the same on my 2.1 device.

On my older Android 2.1 tablet, the native "camera" app plays these files perfectly, but I can't figure out how to get them to play on the Le Pan camera app.

I'll keep trying more apps.

S87 - Try this....it seems to have mixed results but it sounds easy enough to give it a shot !

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by lenballard Just to try seems to work for me change your file mkv to mp4just the file name and the lepan seems to accept it better plays great here

Sent from my TC970 (Wi-Fi) using Android Tablet Forum

S87

Oct 10, 2010
Thanks I'll give it a try when I get home and let you know. I also plan to test an app called "Diceplayer" that has good reviews in the Market.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
I read about an issue like this with other tablets, maybe part of the issue with LePan as well. Not sure, but worth looking into.

Check to see if the audio on your MKV file is mp3, or AC3. If it's mp3 audio, there may be a driver issue that causes stuttering playback in 1080p files. I think this may fit here, because mobo player, MX player, etc WILL play MKV files - which leads me to think the issue isn't in the player~filetype realm, but you can check it out.

Try converting the audio from mp3 to AC3, and see if the video stops stuttering.

They also suggest transferring the video from your SD card into the internal memory. (I know we dont have much of that with these, so not sure if you can do this or not.) This will help eliminate the possibility that the problem is with card-reading. Someone mentions that, on their device, class 10 card stutters, but class 6 plays fine, etc. If it plays from internal memory, you know you have a card issue of some kind and can narrow it down from there. If it still stutters, then you can try changing the audio format and see if that clears it up.

this is where I was reading about it, someone hijacked the thread, so it's an offtopic conversation in this thread over several posts, in between a discussion on the best cases for a Novo tablet:

Case for Novo 7 - SlateDroid.com

Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck

Last edited:

S87

Oct 10, 2010
No luck with any of the other players or with renaming to mp4. Audio still moves faster than video. I think I'll just switch to another format. Any thoughts on the best one for HD and what player?