Video players with HW acceleration for Tegra 2?

ecrit

Mar 6, 2011
I'd like to know which video players support Tegra 2 hardware acceleration for HD OTA recordings (1080i and 720p MPEG2) for smooth playback.

Some time ago I tested a couple of players on a Tegra 2 tablet running Android 2.2 and none of them played back my OTA TV recordings smoothly.

I hope things have changed, especially with the release of Honeycomb.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The built-in player = native playback = hardware accelerated
Then there is hardware assisted ffdshow players (Neon) like Rockplayer

Xoom owners are complaining about video playback, so I don't think anything has changed.

ecrit

Mar 6, 2011
The built-in player = native playback = hardware accelerated
Then there is hardware assisted ffdshow players (Neon) like Rockplayer

Xoom owners are complaining about video playback, so I don't think anything has changed.

Thanks. In this thread https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/45753?start=90&tstart=0 one poster commented that the Xoom has problem playing some HD contents that he has no problem playing on the slower Galaxy Tab. So it appears either the Tegra 2 or Honeycomb or Xoom is not ready for prime time.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks. In this thread https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/45753?start=90&tstart=0 one poster commented that the Xoom has problem playing some HD contents that he has no problem playing on the slower Galaxy Tab. So it appears either the Tegra 2 or Honeycomb or Xoom is not ready for prime time.

That sort of thinking is wrong. Whether or not Tegra 2 supports high profile HD playback has nothing to do with whether or not it is ready for primetime. This has been a known limitation of Tegra 2 for months now, and the reason is because his is a hardware limitation. It was designed to be that way. It does not make any sense to expect it to be anything more than what it was made to be. This has nothing to do with whether or not Honeycomb either as an operating system that relies on the capabilities or the hardware.

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
I can understand why people would expect new devices (especially ones priced at a premium) with a processor that is just coming out to be good at hd video playback. Most people are unlikely to be as knowledgeable on tablets as you are xaueious (I'm probably master of the obvious there) and I'm sure too many don't do enough research before purchasing (thus bad expectations).

Before reading this thread, I wasn't aware of that limitation with tegra 2 and would have made the same assumption. Of course, I haven't read much on tegra 2 specifically other than what's been written in articles focused on the tablets using tegra 2. Those articles tend to ignore limitations of the hardware and talk more about how much of an improvement the new hardware is/will be over past hardware.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Compared to what you can get in a netbook or a laptop, you lose out on the performance and functionality for ease-of-use and portability. At least right now until August or so this year, that's what the expected trade-off is.

I'm just a little frustrated because it really isn't fair to look at the Xoom that way :(