View NookBooks in Landscape?

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I've tried searching and have not come up with an answer. I have a rooted Nook (1.01 with no ROMs loaded). I am wondering if there's a way to view NookBooks in landscape mode. I have the device setting checked to rotate the screen, but I can't find a setting for within the Nook reader itself. Will any of the ROMs out there accomplish this? I just got prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses. The only way I can see the screen with my new sunglasses on is to rotate the Nook to landscape mode.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Check the settings whithin the Nook reader. There is an option that says use publisher defaults. You may need to unheck that box. If you are having problems adjusting the font or the screen when reading books, the same box is most likely the reason for that as well.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
Check the settings whithin the Nook reader. There is an option that says use publisher defaults. You may need to unheck that box. If you are having problems adjusting the font or the screen when reading books, the same box is most likely the reason for that as well.

Could you tell me where to find that setting? I've been through all the options within App Settings and don't see that.

Thanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
This is how you do it from the app (I'm in CM7 using the B&N app at the moment) but if I recall corectly it should be the same from the integrated reader. Open a book and then use the settings button (the three lines in the notification bar) to open the settings. Then choose all settings and you should see a check box for Publisher Defaults. Make sure it is not checked. If it is not check it and then uncheck it to be sure.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Maybe it's just the books I have on my Nook, but the only ones that I can view in landscape mode are children's books. In fact, that's the only view for them.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
This is how you do it from the app (I'm in CM7 using the B&N app at the moment) but if I recall corectly it should be the same from the integrated reader. Open a book and then use the settings button (the three lines in the notification bar) to open the settings. Then choose all settings and you should see a check box for Publisher Defaults. Make sure it is not checked. If it is not check it and then uncheck it to be sure.

The integrated reader doesn't have the Settings button. I guess I'm going to have to install a ROM.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I found the Publisher Defaults setting. It was off so I toggled it. No luck.

Sent from my rooted Nook using Android Tablet Forum app.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think the other thing is as spider said not all books will do landscape. For example I downloaded the Sherlock Holmes books through google books and they are simply scans of hard copies. There are no options to change the fonts, backgrounds or orientation. But hey, they were free :)

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
With the book I'm currently reading I can change the font and size, Just not the orientation.

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I tried the same book in landscape mode on my Thunderbolt, and that worked perfectly. I assume that if I install a ROM on the Nook and use the Nook app, landscape should work.

Off to research ROMs.

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is interesting. Maybe your Nook is just letting you know it isn't going to lay down for anybody ;)

pjo1966

Mar 2, 2011
I installed CM7. I can now view books in landscape mode. I actually think the Nook app is better than the default reader.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum