Viewsonic G Tab Owner's Thread

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010
Now where would I find the info of what ROM I have?
I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet out of the box running Android 2.2

Last edited:

rwmcmjr

Feb 1, 2011
Here to join the g-tablet joy in Raleigh, NC. Ordered last night, should be here tomorrow. Now it is time to learn all there is about rooting and mods.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
wow...there are a lot of North Carolinians here...

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Now where would I find the info of what ROM I have?
I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet out of the box running Android 2.2

Settings->About->Software

This should show you Android Version, Build Number, Kernel Version and Software ROM Version info

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010
Settings->About->Software

This should show you Android Version, Build Number, Kernel Version and Software ROM Version info

Hello Peter,
Thank you for your time!
I went to settings-about tablet and found this information about my G-Tablet.
Model # UPC300-2.2
Android OS version 2.2
TapUI version 1.1-3588
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-00000-10.8.2 hudson@tapntapsvn #16
Build # FRF91

I do not see any field called ROM?

Last night I tryed to download Flash 10.1 from Android Market,
But I kept getting an error message
"No android phone associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account."
I created a new account but still no luck.
I been able to download from the gmarket place "handango.com"
the market place that comes with the Tablet but they don't have all the apps that Android market place has!
This may be a separate issue that I have to fix?
Any ideas what I can do to make my G-Tablet run Adobe Flash?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
you are running the stock ROM, Custom ROM labels show up in different places, such as right now I am running TnT G-Harmony v1.2, which shows up under Model Number and Tap UI Version.

I don't know what you are trying to do that needs Flash, but try downloading Dolphin HD, Skyfire or Opera as replacement browser and see if that lets you go to the flash site you want. I personally have had the best luck using Skyfire.

Be sure to read the threads here about Hulu and the others about Flash to make sure your questions haven't already been covered there.

Cheers,
p

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010
you are running the stock ROM, Custom ROM labels show up in different places, such as right now I am running TnT G-Harmony v1.2, which shows up under Model Number and Tap UI Version.

I don't know what you are trying to do that needs Flash, but try downloading Dolphin HD, Skyfire or Opera as replacement browser and see if that lets you go to the flash site you want. I personally have had the best luck using Skyfire.

Be sure to read the threads here about Hulu and the others about Flash to make sure your questions haven't already been covered there.

Cheers,
p
Hello Peter,
I'm running the ROM that came out of the box with. No custom ROM, only downloaded a few apps from general store (handango.com)
I would like my G-Tablet to run Adobe Flash because I am an Artist and create Flash animations.
I have tried another browser Opera mini but it too will not run Flash.
I will take the time to read over the other posts and do my own research.
Cheers for now!

GadjetGirl59

Jan 22, 2011
I am a newbie owner of a g-tab. Just received it yesterday. But I did call Viewsonic to ask some questions. It seems that the update to install Adobe Flash has been detained. it was supposed to be released at the end of Jan. They do have a beta version that can be downloaded from their site.

Name is Gadjetgirl and I am in Memphis, TN. I know nothing about how to root so I will be running my tab with the stock software. Maybe I get up the nerve to change it up a bit. So I will be lurking to gleem knowledge. :)

it2steve

Feb 16, 2011
I am a newbie owner of a g-tab. Just received it yesterday. But I did call Viewsonic to ask some questions. It seems that the update to install Adobe Flash has been detained. it was supposed to be released at the end of Jan. They do have a beta version that can be downloaded from their site.

Name is Gadjetgirl and I am in Memphis, TN. I know nothing about how to root so I will be running my tab with the stock software. Maybe I get up the nerve to change it up a bit. So I will be lurking to gleem knowledge. :)

To be honest, you were smart enough to find a thread and post a few times which leads me to believe that you are not afraid to get your hands a little dirty. We have made a TON of progress with these tablets and it almost impossible to brick one now. Do your research and if you get to a point where you have data you care about backup, backup, backup. Look around at the different ROMS available, feel free to ask questions, and personally I would recommend trying all of them at least once. Dont put anything on your TAB yet that you feel you NEED. The nice thing about it is that once you flash a ROM a few times you become more and more familiar with how the TAB reacts and Android all together. Root, ROM, and Play (wash, rinse, repeat).

I NEED TO WARN YOU, it can become time consuming and addictive :) Once you start you wont quit. Flash, doubled speeds, and the Android Market are all just a few clicks away.

Good Luck!

RAWArtifacts

Dec 11, 2010

Thanks Gadjetgirl,
For the info on Flash!
I think I can wait a few more months for the release of Flash for the Viewsonic G-Tablet?
I see the beta version link posted at Viewsonic.com
But I suppose I'll wait until they get the kinks out of it.
There is so much more fun waiting to be learned !
I just can't put this tablet down! LOL
Cheers!

whcondon

Oct 18, 2010
Add me to the list also - Marlton, NJ. I have had mine since before Christmas and having a blast - TNT Lite. Biggest gripe I have is the lack of a case with a stand like you can get for the iPad or Samsung Tab. I found several in China at Alibabba and DHGate. I ordered one from Alibabba and after waiting 2 months and going back and forth with the seller, I finally got a refund and no case. I just placed an order at DHGate - lets see how that goes. Would love to see someone buy a hundred of these things and throw them out on e-bay.

Any update on Gingerbread or Honeycomb? I am hearing rumblings that several new tablets have shown up at trade shows running Honeycomb.

But here is my biggest question for the Forum. I am traveling to California for a winter golf trip (jealous yet?) next week. I am hoping to load a few movies on my tab so my wife and I can watch movies on the long plane ride. I know there are several ways to stream movies, but I want to download them to the tablet. I am not looking to break copyright laws or anything, i am willing to pay for the movies - rent or buy. Samsung Tab has their own media store and they also have a deal with Blockbuster for purchasing movies. I am just running into a brick wall trying to find a good way to do this.

Bill

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Got mine from electroniccrap.com yesterday, ordered it Tuesday. The M1. He has more stock coming.

lucboucim

Feb 21, 2011
Hi,
just ordered my g-tab tonight and I'm looking forward receiving it asap! I'm quite familiar with the Android world having played with several phones and tablets (streak, galaxy tab, view pad 7). I'm also very comfortable with the process of rooting, unlocking, "roming" these devices. Just sold my iPad as I felt captive of Jobs and his toys.
I hope I will be able to contribute to this forum with my g-tag discoveries. BTW, I'm using an exoPc (VIBE) to write this message. Win7 was never meant to be a tablet OS. I'll sell my brand new exo once I receive the g-tab.

From Montréal, Québec, Canada
Cheers!
Luc

kiwiguy1967

Jan 22, 2011
With "Get out! get out! get out!" being screamed by the Sales Director at the door to the starwell, and the rumblings of collapsing buildings ringing in my ears...I had to abandon my poor Viewsonic G Tablet (plus a lot of other personal and work items) at my desk as we all fled our office building at just before 1pm on Tuesday February 22nd.

I heard today this it may be at least 2 or 3 months before anyone is let anywhere near our office building (if at all ever again) which is situated in the part of Christchurch's central business district worst hit by the quake.

RIP my Viewsonic G Tablet, with TNT-Lite. I will miss you (at least until the insurance company pays out and I replace you :)).

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Got mine yesterday. Rooted to Harmony 1.2 and am pretty happy. Few quirks i'm not a fan of but I'll get used to it.