Viewsonic Viewpad 10s

dkcl

May 6, 2011
Hi

Just installed VegaComb alpha 4 on viewsonic 10s. It installed easily, and works quite well. Smooth, fast and flawless. Wifi connects after rebooting (post-installation), and root obtained after 'chmod 06755 /system/bin/su' in ADB. Market and google apps work well. Emails do not load email contents but K9 mail works well. Thanks to Newbe5, Corvus and others at Tabletroms.

Scored 2656 on Quadrant benchmark, and 2523 on Smartbench productivity index compared to viewsonic GTab 4844/motorola Xoom 4195. Camcorder and camera not working yet.

Shayind

That's strange the gtab is faster than the viewtab. Would have thought its similar spec. Software optimisation perhaps?

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
That's strange the gtab is faster than the viewtab. Would have thought its similar spec. Software optimisation perhaps?

You are right. VegaComb is alpha, and not giving consistent results yet. Here are the repeat Smartbench results: Productivity/Game index

VegaComb 1.5Ghz 4978/2729
Viewsonic Gtab 1.7Ghz 4844/2209
Viewsonic Gtab 1.5Ghz 4106/2137
Motorola Xoom 1.5Ghz 4195/2541

NB: I have noticed that if my apps disappear from tablet, rebooting, removing and reinserting sd card resolves the issue.

Shayind

dkcl

May 6, 2011
You are right. VegaComb is alpha, and not giving consistent results yet. Here are the repeat Smartbench results: Productivity/Game index

VegaComb 1.5Ghz 4978/2729
Viewsonic Gtab 1.7Ghz 4844/2209
Viewsonic Gtab 1.5Ghz 4106/2137
Motorola Xoom 1.5Ghz 4195/2541

NB: I have noticed that if my apps disappear from tablet, rebooting, removing and reinserting sd card resolves the issue.

Shayind

Those are very impressive numbers!

I just got the VegaComb Beta 1a installed on my ViewPad - it's in a usable state - newbe5, Corvus and HomerSp surely did a superb job!

shayind - do you find that the build will freeze the ViewPad randomly? I tried to change the CPU speeds back to 1Ghz, but it still seems to be the same.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Those are very impressive numbers!

I just got the VegaComb Beta 1a installed on my ViewPad - it's in a usable state - newbe5, Corvus and HomerSp surely did a superb job!

shayind - do you find that the build will freeze the ViewPad randomly? I tried to change the CPU speeds back to 1Ghz, but it still seems to be the same.

Hi

It freezes at first post-installation, and also when trying out apps that do not work with this rom--dolphin HD, some flash videos etc. Hopefully, this will be resolved with next update. Newbe5 suggested underclocking to 1.2Ghz if necessary. I am enjoying the CPU speed 1.5Ghz. The rom is very good.

Shayind

Last edited:

macros

Mar 13, 2011
sorry for the late reaction,i didn't spend much time on my computer this week.
I haven't tried vegacomb yet but i think i'll try it somewhere next week.
Cm mod still works great for me so i'm in no hurry.

regards macros.

muzu

May 19, 2011
Hello

Can someone help with a problem? When I start my Viewpad 10s, using the standard firmware, I see the standby screen instead of the home screen. It is necessary to press back button to go to home screen each time I start the tablet. Does anyone knows a solution to this?

macros

Mar 13, 2011
Hi muzu,it looks like a firmware problem.
You can try to install the firmware again,that would probably fix the problem.
here is the link for the official firmware ViewSonic - Knowledge Base .
hope this helps you out.

regards macros.

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Ok guys,
I have a major problem, tried to update the VPad 10s to honeycomb, but got stuck on a white screen for 2 days now. I have tried all things in the forum and all different methods of starting up the tablet. I have a male to male usb cable between windows 7 device and the tablet, but it is not recognizing the tablet at all. Perhaps it has something to do with the USB driver from Viewsonic. They simply say install the USB driver, but when I dowload it there in no exe file, so I have to unpack the zip and placed it on the c drive, but that obviously doesn't work.

Any ideas on where I should put the usb drive folder?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Ok guys,
I have a major problem, tried to update the VPad 10s to honeycomb, but got stuck on a white screen for 2 days now. I have tried all things in the forum and all different methods of starting up the tablet. I have a male to male usb cable between windows 7 device and the tablet, but it is not recognizing the tablet at all. Perhaps it has something to do with the USB driver from Viewsonic. They simply say install the USB driver, but when I dowload it there in no exe file, so I have to unpack the zip and placed it on the c drive, but that obviously doesn't work.

Any ideas on where I should put the usb drive folder?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi

I assume you have stock rom in your 10s. If not, you can download the ROM and USB drivers from here: ViewSonic - Knowledge Base

1) Leave the USB driver in a folder on your desktop i.e. Viewpad USB driver or a preferred name (folder).
2) Open device manager via Start>Computer>System properties>Device manager
3) Connect 10s to computer with male to male USB cable
4) Note NVIDIA Harmony under Other devices in device manager. It has an exclamation mark beside it
5) Right click Nvidia harmony, and click on update software
6) Click 'Browse my computer for driver software'
7) Bowse and locate the USB driver you downloaded earlier and select folder ( note: do not select either amd64 or i386)
8) click on 'Install this driver anyway'
9) Close

You can install VegaComb using Clockwork recovery to install from zip.
NOTE: Wipe cache partition, Dalvik cache and data before installation to avoid white screen or boot loop.

Regards

Shayind

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Hi

I assume you have stock rom in your 10s. If not, you can download the ROM and USB drivers from here: ViewSonic - Knowledge Base

1) Leave the USB driver in a folder on your desktop i.e. Viewpad USB driver or a preferred name (folder).
2) Open device manager via Start>Computer>System properties>Device manager
3) Connect 10s to computer with male to male USB cable
4) Note NVIDIA Harmony under Other devices in device manager. It has an exclamation mark beside it
5) Right click Nvidia harmony, and click on update software
6) Click 'Browse my computer for driver software'
7) Bowse and locate the USB driver you downloaded earlier and select folder ( note: do not select either amd64 or i386)
8) click on 'Install this driver anyway'
9) Close

You can install VegaComb using Clockwork recovery to install from zip.
NOTE: Wipe cache partition, Dalvik cache and data before installation to avoid white screen or boot loop.

Regards

Shayind

Hi Shayind,
Thanks for your reaction. However this is exactly what I have been doing. The device manager screen refreshes alright, but it does not give me the Nvidea Harmony. It gives met the following 2011-05-25_1701 - Emceepack's library However it is in Dutch, I am sure you understand. Is this perhaps because I only have a white screen?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Hi Shayind,
Thanks for your reaction. However this is exactly what I have been doing. The device manager screen refreshes alright, but it does not give me the Nvidea Harmony. It gives met the following 2011-05-25_1701 - Emceepack's library However it is in Dutch, I am sure you understand. Is this perhaps because I only have a white screen?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Hi Peter

After connecting 10s to computer, check for 'Other devices' or 'Portable device' above 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. I used the above procedure for my windows 7 computer yesterday, and it worked. You can check out Modaco's guide here: What to do when your USB drivers are wrong (win7/64).... - Android @ MoDaCo

NOTE: When you connect 10s to computer, it should automatically try to install the USB drivers and then say 'unable to install' drivers.
Good luck

Shayind

sjelkie

Mar 19, 2011
Hi Shayind,
Thanks for your answer and options, the tablet is just not recognised by Win7 somehow. It does not show up as other or portable device at all. Is that perhaps because I have a white screen on the tablet_ I have tried the USBdeview, but there is nothing like Modaco has described in his extensive "manual".

Can it be that because of the white screen it is impossible for windows to recognise? Or can it be that an old driver is corrupt? I am actually travelling so I have no access to another laptop.

Thanks,
Peter

macros

Mar 13, 2011
Hi sjelkie (we mogen alleen in het engels antwoord geven.) first delete "samengesteld usb apparaat" then reboot your laptop with the
viewpad connected and turned on.
then it should install default drivers,after that follow the instructions from shayind.
hope this helps out.

mvg. macros.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Hi Shayind,
Thanks for your answer and options, the tablet is just not recognised by Win7 somehow. It does not show up as other or portable device at all. Is that perhaps because I have a white screen on the tablet_ I have tried the USBdeview, but there is nothing like Modaco has described in his extensive "manual".

Can it be that because of the white screen it is impossible for windows to recognise? Or can it be that an old driver is corrupt? I am actually travelling so I have no access to another laptop.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter
Try procedure in post 62. It always work for me whenever i brick my tablet. I use 32bit computer most of the time.

Regards

Shayind