Viewsonic Viewpad 10s

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Depending on the ROM there are different ways to install.

a) Flash through NVidia Flash Recovery:
This is the usual way to flash a Stock ROM (official updates from Viewsonic, Advent, POV,...). The NVidia Flash Recovery is a hidden recovery utility that is not touched when you flash a ROM. Not sure, but it might be inside the micro-controller. Anyway it cannot be overwritten, and this makes these tablets unbrickable. The NVidia Flash Recovery mode is started with the back button, power button, back button combination. The tablet must be connected to the PC/laptop with the USB cable, then the batch file of the update is started and the tablet is flashed.

b) Flash with a Windows/Linux/MAC batch file.
This is available with some custom ROMs, but most of the actual ROMs don't support this anymore. To this kind of flashing your tablet is running, Debugging must be enabled (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging checked. The device must be connected to the PC/laptop/Mac by USB, then the batch file coming with the custom ROM is started and the tablet is flashed.

c) Flash with CWM recovery.
This is the most used solution for custom ROMs now. You need to install the ClockworkMod recovery on the tablet => [mod] Clockwork recovery 3.0.2.8 [easy install] v3 . Then the custom ROM zip file is copied onto your SD card. You must not unzip the ROM file. copy the complete zip file unchanged to the SDcard. The tablet must be booted into CWM recovery mode and then the ROM is flashed from there. The CWM recovery mode is a kind of program/miniOS that runs on the tablet and gives you options to format your SDcard, wipe data or cache, make backups and restore them and of course to install ROMs or applications from the SDcard.

Hope this explanation helps a little bit.

A small tutorial that I wrote can be found on my homepage in the Tips&Tricks section --> Advent Vega ? Steps to flash a new ROM

thanks beegee,
well i tried the 30 seconds trick but it did not help.
since i was able to connect to NVidia Flash Recovery, so i finally flashed the original stock ROMs and got the table booted. now my tablet is booted and running.
i would like clarify few doubts on installing custom rom.
How is a custom rom installed. I have downloaded cm_vega_full_teamdesire-20110531-1412.zip but i dont see any exe file in the zipped file, all i see is a boot.img file and 2 other folders. How do i install/flash this ? Do i need to use the ROM Manager to boot into ClockWorkMod recovery for this ? Cant this be done using the NVidia Flash Recovery ?
Can you guide me the steps.

BTW what do you mean by "NVidia Flash Recovery is to flash original stock ROMs. This recovery cannot be overwritten or destroyed."

Last edited:

strikergtr

Jun 7, 2011
thanks beegee,
well i tried the 30 seconds trick but it did not help.
since i was able to connect to NVidia Flash Recovery, so i finally flashed the original stock ROMs and got the table booted. now my tablet is booted and running.
i would like clarify few doubts on installing custom rom.
How is a custom rom installed. I have downloaded cm_vega_full_teamdesire-20110531-1412.zip but i dont see any exe file in the zipped file, all i see is a boot.img file and 2 other folders. How do i install/flash this ? Do i need to use the ROM Manager to boot into ClockWorkMod recovery for this ? Cant this be done using the NVidia Flash Recovery ?
Can you guide me the steps.

BTW what do you mean by "NVidia Flash Recovery is to flash original stock ROMs. This recovery cannot be overwritten or destroyed."
Hi pemba and all I need to help your Issue
Follow my step OK ^^?
1. Re install Original rom 1.09 first from above this forum
2. If normal market not found install market fix update err.. name mean market_upate0.zip
From Setting>appacation>update software> browse market update
... system will reboot and market will appear
3.Search adb Wireless and download it Bec(some Viewpad 10s is not find ADB) and run it
*** Root Z4 first****
***NEED same ROUTER to ADB wireless***
4.Install Android SDK and setup sdk for your pc ** I hope your clear this program if not pm me**
5.when SDK ready next.. open ADB Wireless App and Push green button for start ADB
6. Remember your Tablet IP and port (EX. 192.168.0.1:5555)
7.Download cwm Easy install from google and Extract zip and find windows_install.bat
8.Right click and edit and fill top row to get it work
adb connect 192.168.0.1:5555
adb devices
..... this. Default code from cwm easy install
9. Save and run
10. Wait until thai say finish
11.boot recovery from Rom manager and that it !!! CWM rec it apper now Good job

ferfeg

Apr 29, 2011
Thank you for help me. I saw ViewPad 10 (20110221-Froyo) USB Image, and i undertood
Android Gingerbread is Version is 2.3. I installed the version 2.2 but I don't have MARKET- (GAPP)

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Thank you for help me. I saw ViewPad 10 (20110221-Froyo) USB Image, and i undertood
Android Gingerbread is Version is 2.3. I installed the version 2.2 but I don't have MARKET- (GAPP)

Hi
Market is not available for it but you can use alternative apps like:

SlideMe marketplace, ApkShare, Share App and 1Mobile Market.

Shayind

FvB

Jun 26, 2011
Ok guys,
Got Vegacomb 1.5 working. It has cost me a couple of nights, but it is up and running. I have tried all kinds of different things, followed every manual out on the web to install the rom, but kept having a problem with ADB driver. Untill I just tried through software updater in Android OS and it automatically installed Vegacomb 1.5 from my sd card. Wish I had done that last Wedenesday, would have saved me a couple of nights. Anybody out here that knows why it is so simple yet people are making it look so difficult?

Peter
hi, i am on the stock rom and have rooted my device with z4root, i want vegacomb on my device, so what you say all i have to do is put the zip file on my sdcard and do it with software updater? i havent (yet) put drivers/adb on my pc

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
hi, i am on the stock rom and have rooted my device with z4root, i want vegacomb on my device, so what you say all i have to do is put the zip file on my sdcard and do it with software updater? i havent (yet) put drivers/adb on my pc

You can try the software updater. If it doesn't work, then install the drivers and adb. You also need to install clockwork recovery on you tablet. Remember to wipe cache/dalvik/data in recovery.

shayind

Dastan

Jun 30, 2011
Hi all, im new here:

I have a Viewpad 10s and I saw a Custom ROM called VegaComb 1.6 Beta I have a laptop (vista 32bit), I'm really new in this of tablets, is there a guide or something like that says what do i need to do to install it?

im really a noob in this, please help me, i saw that i need to root my device and i dont even know whats that so if some1 can help me thanks in advance.

Dastan

Jun 30, 2011
BECAUSE OF ALL THE HELP I RECEIVED; I Decided to use Z4Root and after that It Rebooted then I used Back Up Apps to SD App inside settings, it turned the screen black and I turned it off and on lots of times but it does not boot anymore just BLACK SCREEN what do i do?

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
BECAUSE OF ALL THE HELP I RECEIVED; I Decided to use Z4Root and after that It Rebooted then I used Back Up Apps to SD App inside settings, it turned the screen black and I turned it off and on lots of times but it does not boot anymore just BLACK SCREEN what do i do?

Hi
1) It's easy to reinstall stock rom for your viewsonic 10s by following instructions in post 62 above. You need 'male to male' USB cable and follow steps on viewsonic website (posts 20 &62)
2) You need to install 'adb wireless' from MARKET. You need root (z4root).
3) Install Clockwork Recovery by using steps in post 54
4) Install VegaComb 1.6 using steps in post 111
(NB: Substitute vegacomb 1.6 zip for cm7 in steps 1 & 12. Omit step 13 as you don't need gapps zip).

Cheers
shayind

Dastan

Jun 30, 2011
Hi
1) It's easy to reinstall stock rom for your viewsonic 10s by following instructions in post 62 above. You need 'male to male' USB cable and follow steps on viewsonic website (posts 20 &62)
2) You need to install 'adb wireless' from MARKET. You need root (z4root).
3) Install Clockwork Recovery by using steps in post 54
4) Install VegaComb 1.6 using steps in post 111
(NB: Substitute vegacomb 1.6 zip for cm7 in steps 1 & 12. Omit step 13 as you don't need gapps zip).

Cheers
shayind

Okay shayind I'll try it but I won't feel good yet, til i ee it booting im feeling so stupid right now cuz i spent quite a bit of money on it like $399.00 or so it cost $5000.00 MXN.

Thanks for ya help I'll answer anything ASAP, And for sure if i fail ull see me here crying again for help

Dastan

Jun 30, 2011
I Got the USB Cable A to A (male to male), And I put it on Recovery Mode (as seen on viewpad 10s firmware update.pdf guide), the problem is that my laptops do not recognize the tablet and i cannot install the driver since it is not seen as APX in the Device Manager, Im stuck on Black Screen for two days now and i dont know what to do.

And on Device Manager It is on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, seen as "Unknown Device". So when I try to install software it just tells me that it has the best controlled installed or something like, my windows is in mexican spanish tho...

So Black screen means BRICKED forever? Should I get a bunch of papers or make a pile of them to use the tablet over them?

Please HELP ME !!!

Last edited:

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
I Got the USB Cable A to A (male to male), And I put it on Recovery Mode (as seen on viewpad 10s firmware update.pdf guide), the problem is that my laptops do not recognize the tablet and i cannot install the driver since it is not seen as APX in the Device Manager, Im stuck on Black Screen for two days now and i dont know what to do.

And on Device Manager It is on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, seen as "Unknown Device". So when I try to install software it just tells me that it has the best controlled installed or something like, my windows is in mexican spanish tho...

So Black screen means BRICKED forever? Should I get a bunch of papers or make a pile of them to use the tablet over them?

Please HELP ME !!!

Hi Dastan

DO NOT WORRY!!. Your Viewsonic is not a paper weight. Follow the instructions below. Try instruction A first ( You said there is an unknown device under Universal Serial Bus Controller in device manager)
*Download 'viewpad 10s firmware update.zip' and 'viewpad 10s USB driver.zip' from this website : ViewSonic - Knowledge Base and save them in a folder on your desktop

INSTALL USB DRIVER FOR 10s
A)
1) right click 'Unknown device'
2) click 'update driver software'
3) click 'browse computer for driver software'
4) browse and locate 'viewpad 10s USB driver.zip' downloaded earlier.
5) Once you have located the USB driver on your computer, click 'next'
6) click 'install this driver software anyway'
7)After successfully installing the driver, you will see 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for Mobile devices' under Universal Serial Bus controllers in device manager.

INSTALL 10s FIRMWARE UPDATE
B)
1) Download 'viewpad 10s firmware update.zip' and 'viewpad 10s USB driver.zip' from this website : ViewSonic - Knowledge Base and save them in a folder on your desktop
2) Download and install 'viewpad 10s fimware update pdf' ( instructions for firmware update) from website above
3)Connect your 10s to a power source (wall socket)
4) Use male to male USB cable to connect 10s to your computer
5) press back button for 1s (do not release it)
6) press power button for 1s (without releasing back button)
7) release power button (whilst still pressing back button)
8) device manager SHOULD refresh, and you will see 'NVIDIA USB Boot recovery driver' under universal serial bus controllers
9) release back button
10) if you do not see NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver in step 8 above, then repeat steps 5 to 9 a few times till you see the NVIDIA USB driver
11) then locate viewpad 10s firmware update.zip downloaded earlier (in a folder on your desktop). Click on it and let it install. Follow on screen instruction after installation is complete.
12) reboot your device (press power button to restart it)
13 viewpad 10s reboots successfully.
14) end

This procedure never fails unless the 10s has hardware fault.

You can install custom ROM vegacomb 1.6 as in post 111 above. Some people install vegacomb via 'software updater' under 'setting' in 10s. Vegacomb 1.6 should be installed on your sd card first. Just locate it and install. Sorry, i should have posted this step-by-step instructions earlier, as requested by you.

Cheers

Shayind

Last edited: