Viewsonic Viewpad 10s

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Apr 28, 2011
I am using cm7 Rom on my viewsonic 10s. I have not checked with stock rom you have on your 10s. What type game do you want to play?
Regards
Shayind
Thanks a lot for the clarification, I think I'll have a deeper look into this cm7 ROM. I would like to play some simple card games, but with music from some net radio or mp3s from my network.
Regards: Perry

dkcl

May 6, 2011
Hi

I recommend that you try cm7 rom. It's good, stable and useful. Check it out here:

[NIGHTLY][ROM][GRI40] CyanogenMod 7 for vendor Vega | Nightly #60 | CWM 3.0.2.8 - xda-developers

Also check post 54 for installing clockwork recovery, and posts 62, 105 and 111 for installing cm7. It's easy to revert back to stock rom.

YOU NEED MALE TO MALE USB CABLE.

Regards

Shayind4

CM07 definitely is a very good mod to have installed in terms of the UI it offers. For me, WIFI is not as stable, and 3G connection just simply doesn't work. Otherwise, a good ROM.

I'm using CM07 Nightly Build #60 - Tried also #66, but the WIFI connection stability is even worse - not sure if it was me, my WIFI Router or the build...

Regardless, Just wanted to thank you Shayind4.

I'm now research on the spec differences between Advent Vega and Viewsonic ViewPad 10S - trying to figure out why the 2G/3G connection can't be made. I'm using a Telstra sim in Australia, and it won't let me even register the carrier! :( Please any comments if you have any related information.

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
I have a Viewpad 10s with internal 3G and have the same 3G problem with CM7 and Corvus5 ROM. Had a discussion with the CM7 team, but we couldn't find a solution to get the internal 3G working. Now they are more busy with other improvements and are not working on the problem at the moment.

But I will keep bothering them with my problem and hope we find a solution.

Because of this problems I created my own ROM, based on V1.10 stock ROM, improved with CorvusKernel 0.2 (overclocking, NTFS support) and added improved APN list and SMS application.

CM07 definitely is a very good mod to have installed in terms of the UI it offers. For me, WIFI is not as stable, and 3G connection just simply doesn't work. Otherwise, a good ROM.

I'm using CM07 Nightly Build #60 - Tried also #66, but the WIFI connection stability is even worse - not sure if it was me, my WIFI Router or the build...

I'm now research on the spec differences between Advent Vega and Viewsonic ViewPad 10S - trying to figure out why the 2G/3G connection can't be made. I'm using a Telstra sim in Australia, and it won't let me even register the carrier! :( Please any comments if you have any related information.

dkcl

May 6, 2011
I have a Viewpad 10s with internal 3G and have the same 3G problem with CM7 and Corvus5 ROM. Had a discussion with the CM7 team, but we couldn't find a solution to get the internal 3G working. Now they are more busy with other improvements and are not working on the problem at the moment.

But I will keep bothering them with my problem and hope we find a solution.

Because of this problems I created my own ROM, based on V1.10 stock ROM, improved with CorvusKernel 0.2 (overclocking, NTFS support) and added improved APN list and SMS application.

Thanks, I'm actually using your ROM now. Good work you've done there. I also installed the swift keyboard and Gingerbread keyboard which supports voice input! pretty nice! I noticed that the 3G module doesn't turn on automatically after a restart, and also there's no way to turn off the screen when not using it... Can only put it on standby from the menu. Are you experiencing the same thing with this ROM??

dkcl

May 6, 2011
Btw, if anyone is interested in buying another ViewPad 10s, please let me know? I've got an extra one for sale (still in box) - Viewsonic ViewPad 10S WIFI + 3G (without 16GB Micro SD) on any ROM as desired for AU$580 ono.

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks, I'm actually using your ROM now. Good work you've done there. I also installed the swift keyboard and Gingerbread keyboard which supports voice input! pretty nice! I noticed that the 3G module doesn't turn on automatically after a restart, and also there's no way to turn off the screen when not using it... Can only put it on standby from the menu. Are you experiencing the same thing with this ROM??

About the 3G modem automatically turning on, I would like to have this as well, but didn't find out how to do it. And for the screen off it is a stock ROM problem. Different on CM7 and Corvus5 ROM. I use BackLightKiller for turning the screen off and keep Wifi/3G on. Check this post at MoDaCo.

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010

Hi

I have just bought a 3g wireless modem Huawei E585 for my wifi-only Viewsonic 10s (cm7 rom) from Best Buy. The tab connected easily to the 3g network without any difficulty (both 3g and HSPDA). I only had to input SSID and password that came with modem, and did not have to fiddle with any other configuration ( i.e. APN etc). Out of all the 3g modems/dongles available at the Best Buy shop, the sales rep said only Huawei E585 works with android tablets and it cannot be used for phone calls. I bought it for £49.19. He said the remaining 3g modems only work with windows operating systems and not android.

dkcl...... my 10s with cm7 connects and performs well with my home wifi router.

Shayind

Last edited:

shayind4

Nov 22, 2010
Has anyone tried the Honeycomb Tom for Advent Vega Alpha 3 on the ViewPad 10s?

[ROM] VegaComb - by newbe5 and Corvus

Hi

Just installed VegaComb alpha 4 on viewsonic 10s. It installed easily, and works quite well. Smooth, fast and flawless. Wifi connects after rebooting (post-installation), and root obtained after 'chmod 06755 /system/bin/su' in ADB. Market and google apps work well. Emails do not load email contents but K9 mail works well. Thanks to Newbe5, Corvus and others at Tabletroms.

Scored 2656 on Quadrant benchmark, and 2523 on Smartbench productivity index compared to viewsonic GTab 4844/motorola Xoom 4195. Camcorder and camera not working yet.

Shayind

Last edited:

beegee_tokyo

Developer
Feb 8, 2011
What about internal 3G modem and GPS?

Hi

Just installed VegaComb alpha 4 on viewsonic 10s. It installed easily, and works quite well. Smooth, fast and flawless. Wifi connects after rebooting (post-installation), and root obtained after 'chmod 06755 /system/bin/su' in ADB. Market, google apps and emails work well. Thanks to Newbe5, Corvus and others at Tabletroms.

Scored 2656 on Quadrant benchmark, and 2523 on Smartbench productivity index compared to viewsonic GTab 4844/motorola Xoom 4195. Camcorder and camera not working yet.

Shayind