Visual Land Prestige 7 and Google Play?

xMetallicatx

May 1, 2012
I bought my mother this tablet for Mother's Day, and I wanted to have it set up before I gave it to her. She'll mostly be using the tablet for Kindle reading, however I don't have access to the Google Play market to get a full range of the apps I know she would enjoy as well. The Amazon market just doesn't cut it :p

How would I go about getting Google Play on this tablet? I tried installing the apk itself and it would run for a short while, but when I went to download something it said "Google Play must close" or something like that.

Any help would be nice :)

ahr

May 3, 2012
Or you can use the Fdroid repository: download the fdroid app from f-droid.org.

dave407

May 8, 2012
"
i found this on slatedroid, it works perfect on my prestige 7 and my buddies. got the google play as well as all the other google apps installed and running.

super simple to run, just do it from a PC, and follow the instructions for installing the script for google play for android 4.0.3

[SCRIPTS] - Allwinner A10 Tablets Google Play Script - SlateDroid.com
"

My question to you, how did you do this? I own a prestige 7, and the .bat file couldn't find my device. The readme suggests I should install the drivers (when this error occurs), but how?

How did you got this to work?

buckaru11

May 9, 2012
I have the connect 7" tablet and installed Google market by downloading root explorer( tablet has root acess out of the box)[root explorer is a pay app but any file explorer that will get you into the system file will work] also downloaded a gapps zip from an android phone forum( I used one from a Motorola milestone because that is what I have) extracted the system file from the gapps zip and copied it to the root directory of the device ,it will ask you if you want to merge it with the system file that already exists, say yes ,restart the tablet and follow the screen prompts

joeeee

Apr 13, 2012
""

My question to you, how did you do this? I own a prestige 7, and the .bat file couldn't find my device. The readme suggests I should install the drivers (when this error occurs), but how?

How did you got this to work?

If you continue to read in the included READ ME file they give you, instructions are in there.

"DEVICE NOT FOUND ERROR?:
1. Extract USB-Driver to a Folder and Connect Tablet to PC powered-ON.
2. Go to Device Manager. Check for an Android Device with Exclamation Point [!].
3. Right-click Android Device and click Update Driver. Locate the USB_Driver Folder."

its fairly simple, anyone can do this install.

dave407

May 8, 2012
It finally worked. Made a stupid mistake. I've selected the parent directory when browsing for the android drivers. Anyway, thanks for the response(s).

jorgri

Jun 25, 2012
Hi .. joeee

I did everything step by step and the installation was successful, now, where do I find google play app in my tablet ? I have a google account and I have a device ( smartphone ) with the google app. What I'm suppose to do now because every app that I tried to install went straight to my cell instead to go to my tablet. I have a Visual Land - Prestige 7. Help me please ..... :(

i found this on slatedroid, it works perfect on my prestige 7 and my buddies. got the google play as well as all the other google apps installed and running.

super simple to run, just do it from a PC, and follow the instructions for installing the script for google play for android 4.0.3

Jun 27, 2012

i used the slatedroid.com website and i am now google happy. everything worked great. thanks for sharing

Tazzin

Jun 27, 2012
Joeeee, can you ple more explicit about how you got this to work? Simply stating 'Got it to work' doesn't help those needing the explicit steps to complete, the information at the link you provided is scripts only for Allwinner tablets... I ran through this but couldn't figure out which options or where the USB_Driver folder(?) is.

Help?

Tazzin

Jun 27, 2012
Ok, at the risk of creating a 150 dollar electric brick (only because I don't know what I'm doing :D ). I ventured out to figure this out. In the 7z file of IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script is the USB-Driver 7z, this is what they are referencing.. SO..

Download the IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z file from [SCRIPTS] - Allwinner A10 Tablets Google Play Script - SlateDroid.com as indicated above.

Connect Prestige 7 via USB
Powered-ON and enable USB Debugging & Stay Awake
Extract the all files/folders from IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z to (anywhere but I used Desktop for ease and convenience)
Double-click or execute the 3.Google-Play.bat file

NOW, when I was asked which Allwinner I had, i just select the C option other Allwinner and it installed just fine after a reboot of my Prestige 7..
BUT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR SELF FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Some things to note.. It threw another Calendar in my apps.. so I 2 now instead of 1.. I'll figure out how to correct that later but for now.

Anyways, WOO HOO I HAVE GOOGLE APPS ;)...

Thanks guys for the direction on this..

joeeee

Apr 13, 2012
Hi .. joeee

I did everything step by step and the installation was successful, now, where do I find google play app in my tablet ? I have a google account and I have a device ( smartphone ) with the google app. What I'm suppose to do now because every app that I tried to install went straight to my cell instead to go to my tablet. I have a Visual Land - Prestige 7. Help me please ..... :(

When in Google Play i think there is settings to set which device to download the files too, are you downloading from the Play Store app or from the Google Play website through the browser?

Dewey3k

Aug 11, 2012
On a separate note, I've googled until my fingers bled but I cannot find a "default" word list for the VL Prestige 7 autocorrect spelling. I am thinking that entering every single word as I type it is going to take a long time. Does anyone know where I can get a comprehensive word list? I have an app that will export and import custom word lists but it won't find the default list on my Gingerbread device.

Thanks for your help.

Dewey

deesto

Feb 8, 2013
Ok, at the risk of creating a 150 dollar electric brick (only because I don't know what I'm doing :D ). I ventured out to figure this out. In the 7z file of IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script is the USB-Driver 7z, this is what they are referencing.. SO..

Download the IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z file from [SCRIPTS] - Allwinner A10 Tablets Google Play Script - SlateDroid.com as indicated above.

Connect Prestige 7 via USB
Powered-ON and enable USB Debugging & Stay Awake
Extract the all files/folders from IceCreamSandwich-4.0.3-Google-Play-Script.7z to (anywhere but I used Desktop for ease and convenience)
Double-click or execute the 3.Google-Play.bat file

NOW, when I was asked which Allwinner I had, i just select the C option other Allwinner and it installed just fine after a reboot of my Prestige 7..
BUT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR SELF FOR MORE INFORMATION.

Some things to note.. It threw another Calendar in my apps.. so I 2 now instead of 1.. I'll figure out how to correct that later but for now.

Anyways, WOO HOO I HAVE GOOGLE APPS ;)...

Thanks guys for the direction on this..

I did this as well, and as soon as the script finished and the tablet rebooted, I could no longer enter the Storage option in Settings (it closes immediately and returns to Home), and I can no longer use MicroSD storage at all: as soon as I put a card in, I get a notification that it's safe to remove (?), and the system says it's not inserted after a reboot.

Anyone else having this problem?

deesto

Feb 8, 2013
I did this as well, and as soon as the script finished and the tablet rebooted, I could no longer enter the Storage option in Settings (it closes immediately and returns to Home), and I can no longer use MicroSD storage at all: as soon as I put a card in, I get a notification that it's safe to remove (?), and the system says it's not inserted after a reboot.

Anyone else having this problem?

Also, is there a recovery image somewhere I can flash to get CWM or something else to boot into recovery mode, so I can see if repairing permissions helps fix anything?