Vizio 1008 vs Nexus 7

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK, I bought the Google Nexus 7. It is faster than the 1008. It does not have an sd card slot, an HMDI output, a Remote, and it won't play flash, so Sirius XM doesn't work on it.

Did I mention the screen is 7 inches not EIGHT inches. It makes a big difference. I have two 1008 one which I did not update. I use it everyday. Will see what I drag around, but I don't play games and the 1008 runs net flixs just fine.

It is $199 with 8 gig of internal memory and no SD card slot. I am thinking the 1008 is still the best deal if you don't need the speed.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
This is an interesting review. I would have thought the Nexus 7 blew the VTab out of the water. I have a VTab and I really like it, mine is rooted and running apps to sd so thats nice but I have thought a lot about getting a Nexus 7. Thanks for the review, I really liked it and now I know my VTab is right up there with the big boys.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
I would have thought the Nexus 7 blew the VTab out of the water.

IT DOES

I recently bought a Nexus 7 and it is hands down better then the Vizio
Here's why
OS
1GB ROM
QUADCORE
ROOT
RESOLUTION
BATTERY LIFE
SIZE
WEIGHT
SUPPORT

CON:
-No remote
This feature is a waste since it only supports limited features on each device (none of which are the advanced features) If I wanted that I would buy a universal remote.
-No native Flash
Mine never worked after the HC UPGRADE and like it or not its being phased out
-No HDMI
No big deal if you want this feature there is a small adaptor
-Screen size
I would have agreed with this until the quick home keys that were not taking up room on the screen were disabled after GB and put on the screen. Although the screen is slightly smaller the better resolution and color make it much easier to see especially over long periods of time. Because of the overall smaller size and much lighter weight I take the Nexus everywhere.
-No SD slot
This was a big one for me but I looked and I'm not using that much memory on the Vizio so I figured I didn't need to wait for the Asus version of the Nexus 7 (which will have a SD slot and be releases Nov-Dec) but I did get the 16GB version Nexus.

My tablet experience with the Vizio made me only use it when there was no other alternatives. It was slow, buggy, and I was always having to reboot it, not to mention the terrible battery life. I have used the Nexus for over 10 hours at a time and it never misses a beat. That's right over 10 hours on battery. I used to make excuses for the Vizios performance and experience by telling my friends with better performing ipads that I only paid a couple hundred dollars for it. Now with the Nexus and JB the interface is as smooth as an ipad and I don't need to make excuses

One of my ipad owning friend has my Nexus right now but I'll have it back tonight so hopefully this is my last post with the Vizio.

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
IT DOES

I recently bought a Nexus 7 and it is hands down better then the Vizio
Here's why

This is more along the line of what I was expecting the reviews to be like but it is still interesting to see different peoples opinions. I personally love the 8 inch screen size, I think it is the perfect size for a tablet now just if the Vtab wasnt so think it would feel even more like the perfect size.

I still am thinking about getting a Nexus 7 just to see for myself. If anyone is interested in trading me Nexus 7 for my rooted Vtab hit me up.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
This is more along the line of what I was expecting the reviews to be
And your right. At least so far they are mostly positive.

Google waited until they could make a 7" Tablets that could complete with Apple in performance function battery life and looks and do it for $200. The Nexus 7 is worthy of Jelly Bean I would have serious doubts as to whether the Vizio could even run JB if it did it won't run like it does on the Nexus and it is how it runs that makes the experience. Anyone who has played with the new ipad knows what I'm talking about. That's how the Nexus feels.
Understand its not the build quality of the ipad but I look at it and think "that is a great deal for that tablet" while I look at the ipad and think "I can't believe how much apple charges for their tablets (or anything) "

now just if the Vtab wasnt so thick it would feel even more like the perfect size.
And again I believe you are right. This is another thing about the Nexus it feels right its much thinner and sleaker then the Vizio and it gets over 10 hours battery life.

I still am thinking about getting a Nexus 7 just to see for myself.

I would definitely recommend it. I love mine.

Oct 10, 2011
In this day of rapid technological growth where a computer is often perceived to be obsolete before it hits the shelves, it should come as no surprise the just released Nexus is superior to a competing product that was released one year ago.

Better yet, I'm sure if one were to wait another year there will be a more powerful tablet at an even lower price. Same goes for the year after that. Just depends on how long one is willing to wait. :)

bmw328

May 31, 2012
In this day of rapid technological growth where a computer is often perceived to be obsolete before it hits the shelves, it should come as no surprise the just released Nexus is superior to a competing product that was released one year ago.

Better yet, I'm sure if one were to wait another year there will be a more powerful tablet at an even lower price. Same goes for the year after that. Just depends on how long one is willing to wait. :)

Everybody understands that the OP asked for a comparison. My point is the Vizio always felt like a compromise the Nexus doesn't.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
This is a lopsided comparison. The vizio was a entry level tablet when it was released over a year ago. It was under powered when it was first sold as new. Now to compare it to a new Nexus7 is like comparing last years base model volkswagon rabbit to this years porsh. The Nexus has twice the ram, three times the processor, more ssd. Better screen better power management, better version of android.
I am by no means a pro Nexus person but comparing these two is so very lopsided by virtue of time and hardware differences it is not even funny.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
OK. I have used the Nexus now for three days and it is FAST as hell. I don't have to wait around like on the 1008 and the mail functions all work immediately. Text does not enlarge when you pitch the page like the 1008. Some pages do, but the NY Times doesn't. Dolphin HD beta was suppose to fix that, but I had no luck with it so I am using the Chrome that came on the Nexus.

I am starting to like the fast. So far it has only frozen up twice. Not sure why. You can get flash on the 1008 which has been beaten to death here, and I miss the three speakers on the 1008 and Sirius XM. Maybe Sirius will come out with a new app. I also can not view BBC or CNN. Flash has given up the ghost, if you go to the download site it says nothing supported after 2.1 so I guess Apple was right to ditch it.

I use the remote a lot, so I miss that. I have about 10 devices on the remote. Mostly I will miss changing the channel in the airport or doc's office, he he.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
This is a lopsided comparison.

It's only lopsided in that the Nexus is that much better.

Now to compare it to a new Nexus7 is like comparing last years base model volkswagon rabbit to this years porsh.

This would only be true if the New Porsche was the same price as the VW.

The OP wanted a comparison Check the title of the tread. The point is the Vizio is still on the market for basically the same price as the Nexus.

Last edited:

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
There is much room for improvement by the other OEM's. Even at the price point of the Nexus. The new 7" Acer is a great example. The Nexus will be old hat very quickly.

ttweed

May 12, 2012
OK. I have used the Nexus now for three days and it is FAST as hell. I don't have to wait around like on the 1008 and the mail functions all work immediately. Text does not enlarge when you pitch the page like the 1008.
Have you tried just double-tapping to enlarge the text? It works for me on the Nexus.

I also can not view BBC or CNN. Flash has given up the ghost, if you go to the download site it says nothing supported after 2.1 so I guess Apple was right to ditch it.
I have Flash working fine on my Nexus 7 by sideloading the app and using the Firefox browser.

$flash.jpg

You can add flash memory storage to the Nexus by just rooting and using the Stickmount app and an OTG cable, but the 16GB version has plenty of room for me.
YMMV, but it is the best tablet I have ever used, and the developer support is already incredible (and will be even more so in the future).
TT

Last edited:

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I finally did get flash on the nexus, but the double tap does not work on NY Times or WSJ apps. I got NY Times on Chrome to pitch and enlarge. BBC works, but CNN app will not load. Sirius still doesn't work. Waiting for a cover, the nexus is somewhat hard to hold. Not big enough to sit and too big to hold. Have a 8g now and a 16g coming this week. Going to sell one.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Well I am not sure if Flash is on or not. I emailed a copy to myself, same thing I did for my Vizio, and installed it, but the test doesn't work. In Foxfire beta, it crashes. BBC plays now, so maybe it works. I looked for a test site, they don't work any ideas on a test site?