Vizio 1008 vs Nexus 7

bmw328

May 31, 2012
There is much room for improvement by the other OEM's. Even at the price point of the Nexus. The new 7" Acer is a great example. The Nexus will be old hat very quickly.

I doubt any other manufacture would be willing to cut their margins like Google did on this device (most estimates for manufacturers cost on this device is $184.00) only Google could afford to do this since it will boost both their Android platform and more importantly Google product (which is where they will make their money) all the other manufacturers are only in it for hardware. I believe when the other manufacturers catch up with the Nexus they will be able to compete with the Nexus in performance and possibly price but will have to sacrifice in the only other cost cutting area, build quality.

Last edited:

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
The new Acer adds additional features missing on the Nexus and is slotted to be sold at a price point of $250. I'd say that's a stiff competition.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
The new Acer adds additional features missing on the Nexus and is slotted to be sold at a price point of $250. I'd say that's a stiff competition.

I agree (same with the Asus) however its 25% more expensive which further proves my point. Whatever they add will cost only a few dollars per unit but the tablet will sell for $50 more. Here's an example; The 16GB Nexus7 sells for $50 more and most of us opted for it. The manufacturers cost per unit for the memory upgrade is $6 so like any other manufacture Nexus makes a $60 profit per unit versus only $16 for the 8gb tablet. Unless your making money on the sale of each tablet somewhere else (like Google) you wouldn't be around long making a $16 profit on something that cost you $184.00 just to manufacture. That doesn't take into account allot of other cost involved to manufacture a tablet least of which is R/Day.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
In this day of rapid technological growth where a computer is often perceived to be obsolete before it hits the shelves, it should come as no surprise the just released Nexus is superior to a competing product that was released one year ago.

Better yet, I'm sure if one were to wait another year there will be a more powerful tablet at an even lower price. Same goes for the year after that. Just depends on how long one is willing to wait. :)

Yah, seems when I said something close to this earlier I got poopooed. But I am glad to see that I am not the only one who recognizes the lopsidedness of this comparison.

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

bmw328

May 31, 2012
The comparison is fair the results are lopsided.
Most comparisons are based on price the Vizio still list for over $200 (new) on many sites and Vizio still sells them on there site for $180 (refurbished) so if by lopsided you mean the Nexus7 is superior in almost every way to the Vizio then YES it's lopsided, however 2 like devices selling for approximately the same price makes the comparison fair.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
Answer to no SD slot on the nexus

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1343708281273.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1343708281273.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
The comparison is fair the results are lopsided.
Most comparisons are based on price the Vizio still list for over $200 (new) on many sites and Vizio still sells them on there site for $180 (refurbished) so if by lopsided you mean the Nexus7 is superior in almost every way to the Vizio then YES it's lopsided, however 2 like devices selling for approximately the same price makes the comparison fair.

No, lopsided is as in the nexus is new hardware and OS and the Vizio is a year old. Price is only one part of the judgment and apparently what you are concerned about. But other enquiring minds are looking at a broader picture that covered more than price.
The fact that the Vizio is last years hardware and the nexus is this years is a huge factor, in the lopsided book.
But in the Vizios favor it has expandable memory where the nexus doesn't, it had ports where the nexus doesn't, and a 8 inch screen.
No matter how you spin the nexus, the comparison is lopsided because of the hardware differences between the two devices. Should Vizio be charging 200.00 for the tablet? Absolutely not. In today's market the 1008 is absolutely not worth what they are asking.
When you can get the ICOO D90W for 30.00 dollars more it is a hard sell to buy the Vizio tablet. Last years hardware makes it crazy for Vizio to be selling it for anything more than 120.00, and then only that hi maybe because of the 8 inch screen.
Spin machine on full cycle, the nexus is not worth 200.00 nor is the kindle fire. But people buy both of them and feel they are getting the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I just feel sad for them when they spend that 200.00 and then realize that for a little more they could have got the Toshiba Thrive 7 inch model or the Excite 7. Either one are better than the nexus 7.
IMHO the only thing that the nexus has over any other android tablet is jelly bean. And in all truth, that is the only thing.

At 279.00 the Toshiba Thrive 7 is only about 10.00 more than the Nexus 7.

Toshiba Thrive 7. Click add to cart to see the price on the Thrive. $279.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Multi-touch-Display-Dual-Core-Androi/dp/B006DI9Y8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343770223&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+thrive+7

This is the Nexus 7. $264.99
http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-...e=UTF8&qid=1343770321&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7

And for about 200.00 more and this is only on Amazon and you might find it for less. The Excite 7. $469.97
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Excit...=UTF8&qid=1343770376&sr=8-1&keywords=excite+7

And since this post was originally about the Vizio VTAB1008 over the Nexus7 lets add the Vizio. $215.00
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-8-Inch-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005B9G79I

Click on each link and look at the prices, look at the hardware and in this the fact that the Vizio is last years hardware and already old hardware from last year at that and that the Nexus is this years hardware and according to Google it is bleeding edge 2012 hardware, OS, everything, not just the sticker price.
Yes its lopsided. Now add the Thrive 7 in to the mix and you see what a blind comparison this is, blind as in if you are just looking at the dollar you are not seeing everything or enything else that you should be looking at, and if you are really concerned about getting the most for your money, don't buy any of them, save another 200.00 and do the Excite 7.
But for the price you still should not buy either the Vizio or the Nexus, but the one not even on the comparison being the Thrive. It has comparable specs to the Nexus (no not the same but comparable, compared that is to the specs on the Vizio which is no comparison at all) and all those ports and expandable memory that the Nexus doesn't, not to mention that the 260.00 price tag is for a 8 gig Nexus and the 270.00 tag on the Thrive is for a 16 gig.

Seriously! why is everyone falling all over themselves for this Nexus thing. It is not manna from god. it is a tablet.

Last edited:

bmw328

May 31, 2012
the nexus is not worth 200.00 nor is the kindle fire.

I agree with you on the Kindle but you obviously know nothing about the Nexus and your post proves it.

The fact that the Vizio is last years hardware and the nexus is this years is a huge factor, in the lopsided book.

By this reasoning the Nexus could have used last years hardware and no one would compare it to other tablets. We all know that's not true.

At 279.00 the Toshiba Thrive 7 is only about 10.00 more than the Nexus 7.

Even if that were true which it isn't you would be paying $10.00 more for an inferior tablet but we both know that isn't true the Thrive is $79.00 more or $30.00 more then the 16GB. Just because you find a Site selling it for more then list doesn't change the actual price it just proves the point that people are willing to pay more for the superior Nexus. I can provide a link that has the Thrive for $429.00 but that wouldn't be fair either.

Now add the Thrive 7 in to the mix
This is going to be fun
So your saying it's fair to compare a (almost) year old tablet with a suggested retail price of $400 (that was forced to be lowered because of the Nexus and others) since they used better components, but the Vizio is off limit because they used old junk? Are you by any chance a politician?

That being said I'm still up to the compairison:

Thrive Dual core processor NEXUS Twice that many with 4 cores
Thrive Video cores 8 NEXUS 4 more with 12 cores
Thrive Battery life 5 hours NEXUS Twice that with 10 hours
Thrive ICS NEXUS JB
Most the other numbers ae pretty comparable the Thrive does have more ports and a SD slot
Most of which are available through an adapter on the Nexus.

All that and you GET to pay $79.00 more for the Thrive, sounds like a bargain.

not to mention that the 260.00 price tag is for a 8 gig Nexus and the 270.00 tag on the Thrive is for a 16 gig.

Again, just because you chose a site (in an attempt to skew the facts) that is trying to take advantage of people and sell the Nexus for more then msrp (because allot of people will/did pay it because they feel its worth it) doesn't make it so . I just purchased another Nexus for a friend at Game Stop for msrp.

why is everyone falling all over themselves for this Nexus thing.

Because it is rare today for something to be released that actually lives up to the hype expecially with a $200.00 price tag. (the Thrive is a little less then a year old and when it came out it was $400.00)

JB is finally the OS that Android (Google) wanted to put against OSi and when you use it on a superior tablet like the Nexus you will know why. It does however come with a price tag, to take advantage of JB you need a more power tablet and I can tell you from experience a dual core tablets doesn't even come close to the Nexus when running JB.

Talk about lopsided results, comparing the Nexus to a dual core tablets that only gets 5 hours battery life (one of the biggest gripes on the Vizio) and cost $79.00 more shows me you have not used the Nexus. Again a fair comparison but lopsided results.

I know people paid allot more for their tablets and don't want to think that a $200. 00 tablet is as good or in most cases better, but it's a fact. Instead of bagging on the Nexus everyone should be thankful that because of the Nexus we will be getting better products at lower prices.

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Ok, I can see that no amount of sense or reason is going to get through so I leave this discussion before it gets out of control. And we will agree to disagree.

I will stand by my previous convictions and leave this link to a google search page where the tablet gurus explain why the nexus just aint worth it.
http://www.google.com/search?q=why+...et&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs

Point is. Not every product is right for everyone and what fits your needs may not fit others. Lets let the members decide for themselves from what is given if the nexus is worth the price for their needs.

Last edited:

bmw328

May 31, 2012
Ok, I can see that no amount of sense or reason is going to get through so I leave this discussion before it gets out of control. And we will agree to disagree.

Considering your post lacked both sense and reason and only contained your opinion this is probably your best bet.

I will stand by my previous convictions and leave this link to a google search page where the tablet gurus explain why the nexus just aint worth it.
Again with the mis-informed links. Your link is a simple search then in an attempt to mislead people you call these people "tablet gurus" If you you do the same search but instead put reasons to buy the Nexus 7 the "tablet gurus" claim it is the best tablet for the money.
This only tells us that basing your opinion on a google search with only the search criteria that you want to show up is NOT the best way to analyze a tablet (or anything for that matter).

Point is. Not every product is right for everyone and what fits your needs may not fit others.

I agree with you here and I'm trying to understand your reason for disliking the Nexus 7 but your post are based on your opinions one of which is that the Thrive is a better tablet. You showed nothing to prove your point. I also see no reason to believe you have even used the Nexus 7 (I have used the Thrive, Samsung Galaxy, Acer Iconia, Vizio, Blackberry, ipad, Lenovo, and several others I've forgotten or are no longer made as well as the Nexus) That being said would you like to tell me who would want to spend more for the Thrive then the Nexus and why?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well you are both right in this case. The basic problem is that you are dealing with apples and oranges.

The Nexus 7 is a great tablet for the money. Does it have every feature? No. Does it have the features a particular user might want or conversely is it lacking features not deemed to be important by that user? That depends. If it meets the criteria of the user though then that is enough for it to be considered.

On the other hand it really is a lopsided comparison. This makes about as much sense as comparing a Pinto to a Mustang.

The Vtab hardware is old in the tablet arena and it really isn't fair to put it up against the Nexus 7. By current standards, it has severely limited internal storage (and was even among contemporaries), is thick, heavy, overpriced, has a single core 1GHz processor, 0.5GB of RAM, poor battery life and has an average display. The only advantages it has over similar tablets are external SD card, three speakers for stereo sound in both orientations and an ir blaster for remote control. These advantages are hardly worth considering for most people which makes the overall comparison to any new tablet in the $200-$300 range pretty lopsided.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it should go without saying, let's keep it from getting personal and stick to the discussion which valid or not may help people evaluate these two tablets.

bmw328

May 31, 2012
On the other hand it really is a lopsided comparison. This makes about as much sense as comparing a Pinto to a Mustang.

If a Pinto and a Mustang were in the same category and sold for the same price and we're both listed on the manufacturers site as available then it would be a fair comparison again the results might be be lopsided

In this day of rapid technological growth where a computer is often perceived to be obsolete before it hits the shelves, it should come as no surprise the just released Nexus is superior to a competing product that was released one year ago.

I couldn't agree more, however, if you have a product available on your web site no mater how old the technology it would be foolish to thik it won't be compared to other tablets and to say the compairison isn't fair because of the poor technology is ridiculous.
Again the comparison is fair the results are lopsided.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If a Pinto and a Mustang were in the same category and sold for the same price and we're both listed on the manufacturers site as available then it would be a fair comparison again the results might be be lopsided

This is the second time you disregarded an analogy like this. You can't toss out the analogy because the cars are so different, that is the point they are so different but still both cars, one representing modern performance and the other representing a past standard (not necessarily performance). The same for the tablets in question, it is not a given that they are in the same category any more than the cars used. So on the one hand you are saying that the cars are too different to compare even though they are both cars but on the other hand the tablet comparison is valid just because they are both tablets.

The Nexus 7 and Vtab1008 have more differences than they do similarities. If you want to be more precise we can find two cars that are the same price but different in value and performance. It is just an analogy to relate the whole thing to something more main stream than tablets. So let's just keep it to tablets.

Other than both being tablets and being around the same price range there is not much to compare in these tablets. The price set by Vizio is an awkward reference since Vizio started high and has left it high since they basically abandoned the the tablet. It has been possible to find the Vizio tablet much cheaper (I got mine for $160 including a nice case). The whole price and performance issue has been skewed out of proportion because the Vtab was among the first generation of tablets where performance and price were exaggerated due to being a new market. The Nexus 7 has the benefit of newer technology becoming cheaper and a devalued market (other than the iPad consumers have shown they only buy the lower price tablets).

So here is what we really have.

Vtab 1008 (never considered performance):
Expensive compared to contemporaries and still expensive now relative to prices of tablets released at the same time but now greatly reduced.
Single core processor @ 1GHz (modest GHz at release but dual cores were available)
512MB RAM (ok at time it was released)
4GB internal storage (low at time of release)
Custom Vizio skin of Android
Locked boot loader
Ok screen resolution but because it was 8" the PPI is a little on the low side.

Nexus 7 (top performer):
Inexpensive compared to contemporaries and even older tablets.
Quad core 1.3GHz processor (top of the line compared to contemporaries)
1GB RAM (upper end and standard for contemporaries)
8GB or 16GB internal memory (standard for contemporaries)
Latest Android no skin (top of the line compared to contemporaries)
unlockable boot loader/rootable
Decent screen resolution (better than most contemporaries)

So the Vtab was never a performance tablet and never particularly inexpensive but the Nexus 7 is a performance tablet missing a few features (rear camera, external storage) to keep costs down. Comparing these makes as much sense as comparing and iPad to a Chinese clone "iPal" sure you can do it but the point is they are different class devices and the comparison in that sense doesn't mean much (top of the line and inexpensive vs. mediocre and overpriced) which is why it is lopsided.

I couldn't agree more, however, if you have a product available on your web site no mater how old the technology it would be foolish to thik it won't be compared to other tablets and to say the compairison isn't fair because of the poor technology is ridiculous.
Again the comparison is fair the results are lopsided.

You already agreed with this (see post 6). ;)

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Well you are both right in this case. The basic problem is that you are dealing with apples and oranges.

The Nexus 7 is a great tablet for the money. Does it have every feature? No. Does it have the features a particular user might want or conversely is it lacking features not deemed to be important by that user? That depends. If it meets the criteria of the user though then that is enough for it to be considered.

The Vtab hardware is old in the tablet arena and it really isn't fair to put it up against the Nexus 7. By current standards, it has severely limited internal storage (and was even among contemporaries), is thick, heavy, overpriced, has a single core 1GHz processor, 0.5GB of RAM, poor battery life and has an average display. The only advantages it has over similar tablets are external SD card, three speakers for stereo sound in both orientations and an ir blaster for remote control. These advantages are hardly worth considering for most people which makes the overall comparison to any new tablet in the $200-$300 range pretty lopsided.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it should go without saying, let's keep it from getting personal and stick to the discussion which valid or not may help people evaluate these two tablets.

Thanks, seriously. I agree.