Vizio tablet a dead product

stevepike

Mar 14, 2012
It appears that Vizio has given up the tablet product line. Their website no longer shows the 10" tablet , and the 8" is no longer available. In addition Costco which has a large display of Vizio 8" tablets has removed them from the floor.

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
The 8" is still on the site I just looked, and they have the re-certified ones in stock according to the site.
They may not be making new ones(I am not sure) but that would not be a surprise, they are a year old in a fast growing and changing segment.

And for the $189 price I paid almost a year ago, it is not a purchase I regret. Could I get something better for the same price now? Probably, but I can also probably say that every year no matter what the product.

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
My Vizio still does everything I bought it for and more. I never intended to watch TV or movies on a tablet. I get email,play games, surf the web and listen to music on it. Are there faster tablets out there..sure but I'm still very pleased with my Vizio.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It looked to me like the 8" re-certified ones were the only ones they had.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
The Vtab1008 was a good tablet in its day, but now it is a bit over priced for what it offers and what else is avalable.
Still if it were lower priced I would not hesitate to buy one. Just not what they are charging now.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
stevepike said:
It appears that Vizio has given up the tablet product line. Their website no longer shows the 10" tablet , and the 8" is no longer available.
That's unfortunate. My wife & I were kind of wating for the new 10" tablet. Guess we'll have to look elsewhere now.

Our 1008s are still hanging in there, but they won't last forever.

Jim

Klingercrazy

Dec 7, 2011
Last I was told Vizio was still in tab biz but was holding on new tab to update and redesign some elements based on knowledge learned from VTAB1008 release. New redesigned charge port etc.

Nimble1

Sep 25, 2011
Last I was told Vizio was still in tab biz but was holding on new tab to update and redesign some elements based on knowledge learned from VTAB1008 release. New redesigned charge port etc.

Lets hope that you are right!! I do love my Vizio and would buy a newer version in a heartbeat.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
It appears that Vizio has given up the tablet product line. Their website no longer shows the 10" tablet , and the 8" is no longer available. In addition Costco which has a large display of Vizio 8" tablets has removed them from the floor.

I hardly touch my 8" Vizio any more and it still upsets me that it was the best device I had for playing 4x3 youtube videos because all you had to do to go full screen was double tap anywhere on the video but now, with their buttons on the screen the only way to go full screen is to tap in the lower right hand corner of the video and the same thing for going back to the smaller video where all you had to do before was double tap anywhere on the video but now you have to tap in the lower right hand corner of the video.

And that is not even the worst part. The worst part is the "White Screen of Death" that never happened before the last upgrade I accepted has started to happen again so I can't even watch an entire youtube video with the browser if it is over 3 minutes long. More about that at: Vizio's "White Screen of Death" on their Honeycomb VTAB1008

But I have read on this Site that if you accept the latest upgrade you will be able to watch youtube videos from m.youtube.com. But that alone does not interest me. What I want to know about watching youtube videos from m.youtube.com is if you can tap the power button to turn the screen off without shutting the sound off too since I've seen a few android phones that can do that.