Vizio Updates

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Anyone heard any rumors of when we can expect an update?

I mentioned a problem on the Vizio facebook page about the remote control app not supporting 2 of my Vizio televisions. Both are new: XVT323SV and XMB070

Interesting enough, my XVT553SV set is included and works to control the 32" XVT. Not surprising considering they are of the same XVT series.

I said on their site that I was surprised that they didn't even include 2 of their own models. Even though they are newer models, they were already in retail stores before the vtab went live.

They responded and said that an update to include those two models in the remote app was being released soon and for me to go ahead and check for the update and/or reboot and then check for the update. If I didn't see the update, then I was told to contact Vizio chat.

That was almost 3 weeks ago and no update yet. So I contacted Vizio chat and they had no clue what I was talking about and gave me the standard response of "You'll get the update when we release it as long as you are on the internet."

Yeah, no crap Sherlock. I've been around the Android block a few times and know how it works.

I'm getting concerned that they won't devote much labor and capital on proper R&D for this tablet. I'm betting there will never be a Honeycomb update since its single-core.

timothyh

Aug 23, 2011
I am "playing" with a Vizio that I purchased last Saturday. Before I could use it I had to download an update. I don't know if this is what you have been waiting for: V.I.A. Plus 1.1

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Mine has the following release info:

Android version: 2.3.2

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7+

Hardware version:... 5(PVT1)

Software version: VIA Plus 1.1

Uboot version: 1.1.17

Build number: 1.9.13

How about you? I haven't gotten any updates pushed down yet. Maybe it already had the one you mentioned getting before I bought mine.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

timothyh

Aug 23, 2011
Mine is the same as yours. I tried the remote and your tv's and they are not listed. Strange--I think I read someone else complaining of some Vizio not listed--they could not believe it. I don't remember where it was posted--sorry. I have a 14 year old jvc turner/amp that is listed, and the controller works well--very basic, but still works. Sorry I can't be of greater help. Please post if you find out anything. Interesting to see how support handles the problem. I now remember from the other post that support was going to send an update of additional codes in the NEAR future--no specific date on the post. Good luck
Tim

mcpaugh

Aug 18, 2011
I haven't tried using the remote function, but did try contacting the Vizio chat support yesterday about what video calling app is supposed to work. They just told me that Skype didn't work yet. I knew that. I asked about any news on the Honeycomb front and was told they didn't know. I think they must still be training their support people to know what a tablet is. She seemed very clueless.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Yes, their people are still training-up on what this tablet thing is all about. OTOH: They're more than willing to spend whatever time they have to to try to resolve problems. Plus: 1. You can understand them and, 2: They can understand you.

TBH: I've been darn impressed with Vizio tech. support on this tablet, so far.

Jim

skruid

Aug 23, 2011
Vizio tablets are new to the vizio company, my wife works in tech support and they are getting trained for troubleshooting this tablet, vizio is also giving everyone in the company a tablet for free, so they know what they are talking about on the phone with customers, so my wife get one next week and by the way they also told her the bootloader is not locked down, so some devs really to get to work on this machine

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum

Copp

Nov 2, 2010
While Tech support also told me Viziohad "no problem" with rooting the device, "Tech support, your warranty, everything stops as far as we're concerned if you root your device".

Not that I'd know how without some hints.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
A VIA Plus update was just released that addresses a few things. One in particular was the addition of more supported devices within the remote control application. Not only are all of my previously missing devices now included in the application, but the UI is snappier.

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
Thanks sora got it. looks like Vizio improved many areas with this ota.... keep it up Vizio!

walrus

Dec 16, 2010
I got my update tonight it did make the UI better, I will have to check up the remote control function, if it works I can mess with the kids. Had my VTAB1008 less than a week and two updates allready, keep it up VIZIO.

pschatzy

Sep 2, 2011
I had requested a specific improvement for the remote ap - There was no menu button for my Fios stb. This update has addressed that and I am appreciative that Vizio listened to me. I have disabled launcher pro in order to play with the updated VIA home thingy and cannot see any difference. Has anyone here noticed any improvement? I am starting to understand what is and is not under Vizio's control concerning what apps will run and which will not. The addition of Hulu plus, while not something I am interested in, does indicate that Netflix, slingplayer, HBO Go, TV.COM and some others could easily certify their apps for this tablet.

Having spent several months playing with a rooted Nook Color and giving up in frustration dealing with various issues, I would really like to see this Vizio product succeed.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
. . . I have disabled launcher pro in order to play with the updated VIA home thingy and cannot see any difference. . . .

You don't have to disable an alternate launcher to use or check out the VIA home. Read this.

I just received an update and "about device" now shows:

Software version - VIA Plus 1.2 was 1.1

Uboot version 1.1.18 was 1.1.17

Build number - 1.9.26 was 1.9.13

Edit: I have not had a chance to see what is visible as a users with this update.

$update_01.jpg

Last edited: