VS G Firmware install guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodLust

Dec 20, 2010
I just bought a VS G and I'm looking to find a step by step with explanation guide. Did some googling which has lead to several different responses which has just confused me that much more. Does anyone know where I could find a good guide? I'm not asking anyone to reply with step by steps here, Just looking for a link so I can do some legit reading. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
This is the easiest and most straightforward place to start for this: [GUIDE] Install ClockworkMod, TnT Lite 2.2, Flash, and Market Fix - xda-developers

Afterward you will have a rooted device with Clockwork and the TnT ROM that will make your device usable. I would recommend for the purposes of the initial runthrough going with TnT 2.2, not the latest update. Also, make sure that you go with CM .08.

Before you get too frustrated, if you look at the bottom of that post, all of the files you need to get started are available from links right there.

good luck, and let us know how it goes.

-p

BloodLust

Dec 20, 2010
Thank you! I should have the unit this evening and will begin the process. Just one question about the firmware version. You recommend 2.2, Alot of post I've seen over the last day talk about 3.0 with glowing reviews. Is there a reason you recommend to stay away from that version in favor of 2.2? I'm not real familar with either version, But did notice alot of fixes going between the two.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You will absolutely want to update to 3.0.0b3 when you are comfortable with the process. However, since this is the first time you will be flashing, the link I provided carefully takes you through each step, and provides the associated links to download the specific binaries at each step. Just like any recipe, follow the directions EXACTLY the first time, then once you have done that, the next time you can make your own changes.

Once you go through the process as written, you will be able to easily try all of the excellent ROMs from xda-developers, tegratabs, and here, quickly and easily.

-p

BloodLust

Dec 20, 2010
Good advice, My only question with that is would it be possible to replace in the instructions where they call out the 2.2 version with the updated version instead? Is there different install instruction for the latter version or I would assume they are identical. I really do appreciate the help with this.

BloodLust

Dec 20, 2010
Not sure what the issue is, But using the guide located via the link I'm unable to get clockwork to install. If anyone has any suggestions. I place the clockwork file on the Micro SD within the folder "recovery" as stated. The clockwork file within the folder is call update.zip also like stated. When I place the card in the G tablet and Vol. + and Power I wait for the Viewsonic splash to appear, Then I release the buttons. Upon doing that the little messages appears in the upper left cornor about something kernal and recovery image. The screen then blacks out, Goes straight to a big exclamation point then proceeds to the Viewsonic and G tablet splash before heading to the home page. I however do not think it's installing. If I try to boot clockwork it goes threw the same cycle I just listed above. I did place the 2.2 TnT version on the Rom folder of the internal card like it said and tried to boot. However, It will give you the wording on the upper left, Go to exclamtion then continue on threw the various splashes back to the home screen. Am I doing something wrong, I've followed the guide step by step so far.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Are out putting the files on the internal SD or your SD that you inserted?

BloodLust

Dec 20, 2010
External. I figured it out I believe. I read in some posts that the update that happened a day or so might which I d/l by accident might of screwed something up. They had me flash back to factory which has now let me install Clockwork. I flashed with 2.2 and I'm rocking along now. Even typing this on my G.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Absolutely, do 3.0 and b3. Should take about 10 mins after download. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.