Vtab 1008 Google Nav

Carolinaboi34

Feb 5, 2012
Quick question......... Do you have you have have wifi connectivity in order to use Google Navigation? I tried to use it while I was out of town last weekend it wouldn't work. I thought gps was already built in. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

mui

Nov 28, 2011
google nav uses wifi. You can plan your trip somehow before you head out the door. You could also try Navfree or navfree USA as it has preloaded maps.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Try the navigation app in the market by sygic. I've been using it for about 2 months and its pretty good. It finds the sats pretty fast, even indoors at my house. My htc evo and most car gps systems won't do that. Search sygic or navigation in the market. If you use the one in the market it's only a trial. I downloaded mine from 4shared.com. I then searched sygic apk. I'm using sygic aura. You must have the allow third party apps selected in your settings. But if you use 4share it's a full version not a trial. It comes with a downloader so you can choose what maps you want to save space. It has all 50 states in north america, south america, european countries and asia. The one I downloaded didn't have canada though, don't need it though.

lloydsw

Oct 26, 2011
for Google Maps - plan your trip while connected to wifi. In my experience, you'll get about 250 miles before running out of data. I haven't had to do a mid-trip reroute though, so I don't know how that will work.

ktackel

Aug 31, 2011
Quick question......... Do you have you have have wifi connectivity in order to use Google Navigation? I tried to use it while I was out of town last weekend it wouldn't work. I thought gps was already built in. Has anyone else had this issue?

To get to the meat of your question, yes you have GPS but the maps are on google's servers so you need the web to download the maps as you travel for your location.
Some options have already been given above like, pre load some maps or use an app that has preloaded maps, also if you have the ability to tether to your phone you can be connected with wifi to your phone which has a 3g/4g connection to the web to download the maps.

2THEXTRM

Jan 4, 2012
I use wifi tether with my Bionic and the Vizio makes a nice HUGE GPS while driving. Sits great in my Grand Cherokee center console for viewing without needing a mount, bonus!